FIDH recruits 01 Representative to the International Criminal Court – Based in The Hague.
The International Federation for Human Rights (FIDH) is an international non-governmental organisation (NGO) composed of 192 national human rights organisations from 117 countries. Since 1922, FIDH has been defending all human rights – civil, political, economic, social and cultural – as set out in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
One of FIDH priorities is to promote the administration of justice and to fight impunity of perpetrators of serious human rights violations, including crimes of international law.
FIDH’s headquarters are in Paris. Stichting FIDH in The Hague is FIDH’s permanent delegation to the International Criminal Court (ICC) since 2004. FIDH is hiring its :
Representative to the International Criminal Court, Stichting FIDH’s office in The Hague.
Under the responsibility of the Chief Executive Officer and under the supervision of the Director of the International Justice Desk and the Deputy Director of the Program Department, all based in Paris, you will be responsible of the following tasks :
A – Implementation of the International Justice Desk’s programmes and activities on the International Criminal Court:
1) Ensure FIDH representation with ICC representatives, States representatives, media, donors and other NGOs. Develop partnerships with these spokespersons.
2) Supervise, implement / participate in:
- Advocacy and training activities in The Hague (« interface »), in support of national NGOs and victims’ organisations, on the ICC;
- Investigative, training, or advocacy missions as well as seminars on the ICC and international justice;
- Drafting of FIDH position papers and leading advocacy activities towards the ICC and States Parties;
- Drafting and/or reviewing of Article 15 Communications to submit to the ICC Office of the Prosecutor;
- Elaboration, supervision of translation and dissemination of FIDH external publications (i.e. mission reports, position papers, activities reports) and internal documents concerning the International Justice Desk activities;
- Coordination and close participation in the work and activities of the Coalition for the International Criminal Court (CICC) and other NGO fora;
3) Elaborate, monitor and evaluate ICC related programmes of the International Justice Desk, including budgetary follow-up.
B – Management of the FIDH The Hague Permanent Representation
- Ensure the effective functioning of FIDH office in The Hague, including on an administrative and finance level, and the smooth liaison with FIDH headquarters in Paris;
- Supervise a team composed of a programme office on the ICC and interns, based in The Hague, as well as the work of consultants hired in the framework of ICC related programmes.
C – Contribution to the elaboration of the International Justice Desk strategy, in coordination with the Director of the International Justice Desk, the Deputy Director of the Program Department, and the concerned FIDH International Board representatives:
- Participate in the drafting of the FIDH multi-year strategic plan concerning the International Criminal Court;
- Contribute to the drafting of specific action plans and programmes for donors and follow closely their implementation concerning the ICC;
- Contribute to the communication strategy of the International Justice Desk in coordination with the Communication department.
D – Reporting and evaluation of the International Justice Desk activities
- Participate in the reporting and evaluation of the International Justice Desk’s activties;
- Elaborate narrative reports for donors;
- Participate in the drafting of the FIDH annual report concerning international justice and in particular the ICC.
Experience / Training
- At least 6 years of professional experience in a similar position.
- Master’s Degree in Law, with specialisation in international criminal or human rights or humanitarian law.
- Very good knowledge of the International Criminal Court.
- Experience working on issues related to victims’ rights at the ICC and sexual and gender-based violence.
- Very good advocacy skills, and in particular ability to interact with NGOs, government officials and intergovernmental organisations from around the world with tact, diplomacy and cultural sensitivity.
- Ability to work efficiently under time pressure, skilled at prioritising and completing multiple tasks with autonomy.
- Very good drafting skills, with experience drafting advocacy papers, legal documents and funding requests and reports to donors.
- Proven experience in the monitoring and evaluation of multi-annual programmes.
- Fluency in written and spoken English (level C1) and good knowledge of French is required (level C1). Language skills in Spanish or Arabic would be an asset.
- Experience working closely with NGOs and victims’ organisations around the world would be an asset.
- Ability to travel internationally, as soon as the health situation permits.
- Location : He/She will work from the Stichting FIDH’s office in The Hague, The Netherlands
- Contract : Long term contract ideally starting in October 2020, governed by Dutch law, with a two months trial period. Full time position.
- Gross salary : between € 47 000 and € 48 000 per year, based on experience.
- Coverage of health insurance up to € 6,000 gross per year.
- 25 days of paid vacation per full year worked.
- 39 hours worked per week. 23 compensation days per full year worked.
- Travel allowance for trips home to work in The Hague region.
How to apply
In order to apply for this position, please send, in English, by 7 September 2020 :
- A curriculum vitae
- A cover letter describing why you are interested in FIDH and summarising your suitability for the position ;
- by e-mail to: recrutement-repCPI@fidh.org