FAO recruits 01 Head of Procurement (Operations / Maintenance / Procurement)
Humanitaire (ONG, Associations, …), Projet/programme de développement
Job Description: 2002635
Agro-Industry Officer (Agribusiness and Value Chains)
Closure Date: 08/Dec/2020, 12:59:00 AM
Organizational Unit: RNE
Job Type: Staff position
Type of Requisition: Professional
Grade Level: P-4
Primary Location: Egypt-Cairo
Duration: Fixed term: two years with possibility of extension
Post Number: 2002117
CCOG Code: 1H01
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
The length of appointment for internal FAO candidates will be established in accordance with applicable policies pertaining to the extension of appointments.
• FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
• Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member nations and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply for this position
• FAO does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
• All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
• The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization.
The Regional Office for the Near East and North Africa (RNE) is responsible for leading FAO’s response to regional priorities for food security, agriculture and rural development through the identification, planning and implementation of FAO’s priority activities in the region. It ensures a multidisciplinary approach to programmes, identifies priority areas of action for the Organization in the region and, in collaboration with divisions, centres and offices at headquarters, develops, promotes and oversees FAO’s strategic response to regional priorities. RNE also advises on the incorporation of regional priorities into the Organization’s Programme of Work and Budget and implements approved programmes and projects in the region, monitors the level of programme implementation and draws attention to problems and deficiencies RNE develops and maintains relations with region-wide institutions including the Regional Economic Integration Organizations (REIOs).
The Regional Office supports regional policy dialogue on food security, agriculture and rural development issues, facilitates the emergence of regional partnerships, and supports capacity development and resource mobilization for food security, agriculture and rural development in the region.
The post is located in Cairo, Egypt.
The Agro-Industry Officer (Agribusiness and Value Chains) reports to the Delivery Manager of the Regional Initiative on Small Scale Family Farming. The Agro-Industry Officer (Agribusiness and Value Chains) works in close collaboration with the Food Systems and Food Safety Division (ESF), the Investment Centre (CFI) and other relevant units in FAO.
Provides technical assistance and strategic guidance to Members and national institutions on value chain development, agribusiness, market linkages and agro-industry development, including on issues related to food loss and waste reduction, and contributes to of the Regional Initiatives within the framework of regional priorities.
Comprehensive technical and policy expertise provided to support the planning and implementation of FAO programme in accordance with country, regional, and corporate priorities.
• Plans and leads components of multidisciplinary teams, leads and/or participates on Organization-wide, cross-Departmental committees, project teams, and working groups and/or provides specialized expertise on technical networks and/or international technical policy and/or international technical policy and standard setting bodies
• Develops technical, analytical, monitoring and reporting frameworks, and related methodologies, tools, systems and databases, etc. to support the planning, implementation/delivery and monitoring of programmes of work, projects, products and/or services
• Designs and conducts research, data collection, validation, analysis and/or reporting activities to support the development of technical standards, international instruments, innovative approaches and strategies, new tools, technologies, technical reports/publications, and/or policy proposals as well as the provision of technical/policy/ specialist/advice and expertise
• Responds to country requests for technical and policy assistance, provides technical advice, assistance and solutions to Decentralized Offices and provides technical backstopping to field projects
• Collaborates in, provides technical backstopping to and ensures the quality/effectiveness of capacity development and knowledge sharing activities within Member Nations such as policy support, organizational development and individual learning events including preparation of related information, learning materials, on-line tools
• Promotes international cooperation/advocates best practices, increased policy dialogue and provides technical expertise at international/intergovernmental meetings
• Participates in resource mobilization activities in accordance with the FAO Corporate strategy.
• Supports countries including through contributions to field programme development on food systems, agribusiness and value chain development, from project idea through formulation, approval and implementation.
• Contributes to the planning and implementation of the Regional Initiatives in relation with agribusiness and value chain development, with particular focus on the Regional Initiative on small-scale family farming and promoting innovation and e-agriculture applications across value chains in the region.
• Serves as focal point within RNE for agri-food systems, agribusiness and value chain development, including food losses and waste reduction and food safety.
• Engages in knowledge exchange, networking and partnership building with related to national, regional and/or intergovernmental organizations, private sector, farmers’ organizations and civil society to advance thinking and innovation on food systems, agribusiness and value chain development including through organizing and facilitating international meetings, public-private partnerships, seminars and training courses.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in agricultural economics, economics, agronomy, engineering, food science and technology, or other related discipline
• Seven years of relevant experience in one or more of the following areas: value chain analysis and development, agribusiness and market development, agro-food processing, post-harvest handling, and agro-food industry technologies
• Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish)
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable
• Extent and relevance of experience in developing countries and/or in the Near East and North African region
• Extent and relevance or knowledge of value-added transformation and technologies of food and agricultural materials, including product quality aspects within food and commodity chains
• Extent of experience in post-harvest management, preferably in loss measurement and reduction
• Extent and relevance of experience in the analysis, design, implementation and evaluation of strategies, programmes and projects related to value chain, agribusiness innovation, and/or agro-food industries development
• Experience in organizing and facilitating international meetings, public-private partnerships, seminars and training courses in the general area of agro-industries development
• Working knowledge of Arabic and/or French will be considered a strong asset
FAO staff are expected to adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency.
• FAO reserves the right not to make an appointment.
CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
A competitive compensation and benefits package is offered. For information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, click on the following link: http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/salary.htm
Other benefits, subject to eligibility, include:
• Dependency allowances
• Rental subsidy
• Education grant for children
• Home leave travel
• 30 working days of annual leave per year
• Pension fund entitlements under the UN Joint Staff Pension Fund
• International health insurance; optional life insurance
• Disability protection
FAO encourages a positive workplace culture to increase inclusivity and diversity within its workforce. FAO applies measures in which all staff members contribute equally and in full to the work and development of the Organization. This includes:
• elements of family-friendly policies
• flexible working arrangements
• standards of conduct.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. We strongly recommend that your profile is accurate, complete and includes your employment records, academic qualifications and language skills.
Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile;
Once your profile is completed, please apply and submit your application;
Your application will be screened based on the information provided on your online profile;
Please note that FAO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list;
Candidates may be requested to provide performance assessments and authorization to conduct verification checks of past and present work, character, education, military and police records to ascertain any and all information which may be pertinent to the employment qualifications;
Incomplete applications will not be considered;
Only applications received through the FAO recruitment portal will be considered;
We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
If you need help, or have queries, please contact: Careers@fao.org
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT