FAO recruits 01 Civil Engineer
Juba, South Sudan
Humanitaire (ONG, Associations, …), Projet/programme de développement
Job Description – Civil Engineer (2201099)
Job Description CALL FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST – VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT: 2201099 Civil Engineer
Closure Date: 12/May/2022, 11:59:00 PMOrganizational Unit: FRSSDJob Type: Non-staff opportunitiesType of Requisition: Consultant / PSA (Personal Services Agreement)Grade Level: N/APrimary Location: South Sudan-JubaDuration: 6 months with possible extensionPost Number: N/A
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture.Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented Members and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply;Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold FAO’s valuesFAO, as a Specialized Agency of the United Nations, has a zero-tolerance policy for conduct that is incompatible with its status, objectives and mandate, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checksAll applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality Organizational setting:The FAO country office, which is headed by an FAO Representative, is responsible for assisting government to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, and develop the agriculture, livestock, fisheries, and forestry sectors, and use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner. The country office is responsible for leading FAO’s response to country priorities for food security, agriculture and rural development through the identification, planning and implementation actions. It ensures a multidisciplinary approach to programmes, in collaboration with offices and divisions at headquarters; develops, promotes and oversees FAO’s strategic response to country along with regional priorities.
One of key outcome strategies for South Sudan is to have an agriculture-based economic growth with increased incomes for farmers, through organised and institutionalised Farmer Organizations (FOs) as Associations and Cooperatives in South Sudan. The FAO cooperatives institution development program is working with the national government and state ministries across all states, with focus on Upper Nile, North Bah Ghazel, West Bah Ghazel, Western Equatoria, Central Equatoria, Eastern Equatoria and Jonglei, supported by Agricultural Markets Value Addition and Trade Development (AMVAT) and South Sudan Resilient Agricultural Livelihood Project (RALP) projects till December 2025.
Reporting LinesThe International civil engineer will work under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative and direct supervision of the Head of Programmes.
Technical FocusThe incumbent will play a key role in Planning, Organizing, Staffing, Coordinating the Engineering unit in FAO South Sudan. He/she will provide technical assistance and support in planning, design, supervision of FAO South Sudan Infrastructure projects including drafting BOQs and providing technical clearance for infrastructure related tenders in conjunction with the relevant Headquarter unit.
Tasks and Responsibilities: • Plan, design, coordinate and supervise FAO’s infrastructure related activities.
• Lead, manage, supervise, mentor, train and coach the local engineers (for Consultants only).• Oversee the management, administration and implementation of FAO infrastructure projects by making the best use of available human and financial resources and ensure that FAO procedures are followed throughout.• Based on the inputs received from the sector heads, prepare and reviews tender documents.• Monitor the on-going construction works.• Ensure that the highest possible technical standard is achieved in the delivery of products• Prepare and advise on the preparation of bill of quantities and cost estimates for infrastructure identified for construction/rehabilitation and participate in the preparation of tender documents for infrastructures to be implemented and studies to be undertaken• Supervise construction/rehabilitation works as well as feasibility/baseline studies prepared by other agencies, check and approve reports on the construction/rehabilitation works as well as the studies and prepare recommendations for payments.• Provide technical support to FAO infrastructure construction/rehabilitation activities • Provide infrastructure construction/rehabilitation/maintenance training at all levels needed• Prepare project related technical reports• Perform any other duties as assigned by the supervisors.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• University degree in civil Engineering or equivalent in relevant engineering fields from a recognised university.
• At least 5 years of relevant practical experience in identification, design, construction and supervision of civil engineering infrastructure projects.• Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of a second FAO language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish) for Consultants. Working knowledge of English for PSA.SBS.
FAO Core Competencies
• Results focus
• Teamwork• Communication• Building effective relationships• Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement
• Proven experience in project management
• Good report writing skills• Experience report writing skills• Experience in the working in a multi-cultural environment and under complex emergencies would be an advantage Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency
ADDITIONAL INFORMATIONFAO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing)
Please note that FAO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO listPlease note that FAO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed at http://www.whed.net/
For more information, visit the FAO employment websiteAppointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required. Vaccination status will be verified as part of the medical clearance process. HOW TO APPLY• To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. We strongly recommend that your profile is accurate, complete and includes your employment records, academic qualifications, and language skills
• Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile• Once your profile is completed, please apply, and submit your application• Candidates may be requested to provide performance assessments and authorization to conduct verification checks of past and present work, character, education, military and police records to ascertain any and all information which may be pertinent to the employment qualifications• Incomplete applications will not be considered• Personal information provided on your application may be shared within FAO and with other companies acting on FAO’s behalf to provide employment support services such as pre-screening of applications, assessment tests, background checks and other related services. You will be asked to provide your consent before submitting your application. You may withdraw consent at any time, by withdrawing your application, in such case FAO will no longer be able to consider your application• Only applications received through the FAO recruitment portal will be considered• Your application will be screened based on the information provided in your online profile• We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
If you need help, or have queries, please contact: Careers@fao.org
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENTPOSTULER