Concern Wild recruits 01 Roving Accountant
Reports to: Overseas Finance Manager
Liaises with: All finance staff based in country office of deployment
Job location: After initial training in Dublin will be based Overseas
Pay Band: 5 (€49,167 – €57,843)
Contract: 1 Year Fixed Term Contract
Job Purpose: The Roving Accountant will be responsible for providing support to country finance teams and will be deployed to Concern country program offices, in various countries, on a temporary basis. The position includes constant international travel to developing countries and requires high flexibility in terms of physical movement from country to country and duration of assignments.
Temporarily assume the position of the country office’s Country Financial Controller (CFC), or other key finance positions within the organisation, until a permanent replacement can be identified and trained, support visits to in-situ CFCs, training visits, and assisting in the effective roll out of updates to Concern’s finance policies and procedures.
The CFCs functions include:
Maintain an effective & efficient system of internal controls which comply with Concern Worldwide’s financial guidelines.
Ensure that all financial records & accounts are compiled timely, accurately and in line with international accounting standards & donor regulations.
Ensure that the country financial operations comply with legal & statutory requirements e.g. audit & financial reporting to all relevant national authorities.
Ensure that country management prepares the annual & revised Country budget and donor budgets, as accurately as possible.
Ensure timely & accurate preparation of monthly management accounts for budget-holders and Country Management to ensure that they can take appropriate action on any significant variances.
Ensure timely & accurate preparation of quarterly financial reports for Dublin (Financial Reporting Pack (FRP))
Ensure timely & accurate preparation of donor reports for external donors / agencies.
Reconcile all balance sheet items on a monthly basis, in accordance with Concern Worldwide policies & procedures
Finalise year-end accounts for external auditor and act as main Concern focal point during external audit process looking to ensure that the approved financial statements are delivered before the internal deadline.
Act as focal point for any in-country donor audits.
Provide any ad-hoc year reports for Dublin Finance.
Ensure that country financial management systems & records are adequate in order to identify and protect the assets & interest of the organization.
Ensure that the systems in place, enhance, as far as possible, the efficiency & effectiveness of the manner in which assets are utilized.
Ensure that the global accounting package (as recommended by Concern HQ), is maintained in a proper manner, and utilized in an appropriate & effective manner.
Establish & maintain a donor financial management system in order to optimize funding & to ensure efficient & accurate reporting to donors.
Establish & maintain a mechanism for monitoring those grants given to partners, and ensure proper financial reporting & records of same, in line with donor guidelines, where necessary.
Ensure adequate controls over cash & bank management are constantly monitored & updated to minimize the risk of fraud or misappropriation.
Undertake regular field visits in order to assess the financial systems in place & implement improvements wherever needed.
Other functions of the role would include:
Ensured detailed handover notes as available at end of assignment to ensure next CFC can take up their role smoothly.
As required, provide induction training to incoming permanent CFC.
Provide training and support to financial and non-financial staff regarding Concern’s financial procedures and internal controls;
Meet with the respective Country Director and CFC at the beginning and end of each assignment to discuss to discuss the terms of reference and the findings;
Prepare a trip report for each assignment and submit to various stakeholders;
Carry out other tasks as required
Expériences / Formation
Education, Qualifications & Experience Required:
- Accountancy degree/masters
- 3-5 years-experience in a similar position ideally including previous Concern experience
- Experience in developing staff technical and management capacities
- Experience managing donor grants
- Fluent in English and French
- Empathy with Concern’s goals and a commitment to capacity building, protection and participation including Concern Code of conduct
- Familiarity with broader systems development including procurement, logistics, HR and IT.
- Experience of working/living in insecure and sensitive environments
- Ability to work under pressure to meet tight deadlines
- Strong attention to detail
We would also like:
- Experience of working in Africa (or elsewhere under similar conditions) would be an advantage.
- Fluency in written and spoken French & English.
- Ability to organize and prioritize workload, using initiative when appropriate.
- Good team player, flexible and capable of working with a multinational country team, politically and culturally sensitive.
- Ability to cope with stress; work under pressure often to strict deadlines.
- Flexibility, adaptability, sense of humour, and patience.
- Ability to motivate and develop skills of others.
- Facilitation and interpersonal skills.
- Analytical and problem solving skills.
Please see job description
Les CVs en français sont les bienvenues
All applications should be submitted through our website at https://jobs.concern.net by closing date. CV’s should be no more than 4 pages in length.
Due to the urgency of this position, applications will be short listed on a regular basis and we may offer posts before the closing date.