AfricaRice recruits 01 Research Assistant in Agronomy
Research Assistant in Agronomy
The Africa Rice Center (AfricaRice) is looking for a highly qualified research assistant in agronomy to be based
in Antananarivo station in AfricaRice, Madagascar. He /she will work under the supervision of the project coordinator
of FoodSTART-Africa in Madagascar.
AfricaRice is a leading Pan – African rice research organization committed to improving the livelihoods in Africa
though strong science and effective partnerships. AfricaRice is one of the 15 international agricultural research
centers that are members of the CGIAR System Organization (CSO). It is also an Intergovernmental association of
African member countries. Its membership comprises of 28 countries with headquarters in Côte d’Ivoire.
About the position
This position is under the FoodSTART-Africa project. The overall goal of FoodStart Africa project is to contribute to
improved nutrition, food security and incomes of 115,000 smallholder farming families through increased production
and better utilization of root and tuber crops. With funding from IFAD, the project is implemented in five countries:
Mozambique, Madagascar, Eswatini, Tanzania and Rwanda. In Madagascar, the project is implementing activities
in 8 districts in Analamanga, Itasy, Androy and Anosy Regions for the next 2 years. The project is led by CIP and
is implemented in close collaboration with the FIFAMANOR and the government-led IFAD funded investment
project, FORMAPROD, PROSPERER and DEFIS.
The assistant agronomist will contribute to implement the field activities with partners, in Madagascar.
Under the supervision of FoodSTART Project Coordinator, the Research Assistant in Agronomy will perform these
below activities, but are not limited to:
• Support primary multiplication of clean sweetpotato planting material at FIFAMANOR and selected training
centers, including the day to day management of casual field labor.
• Support the selection and establishment of decentralized vine multiplication plots in project target districts
in collaboration with FORMAPROD.
• Provide technical support to vine multipliers, and monitor vine multiplication by established multipliers.
• Provide technical backstopping support to IFAD funded projects in vine multiplication, roots and vines
conservation, and yield evaluation.
• Work closely with IFAD funded projects in selection of beneficiary households, dissemination of
sweetpotato planting material to farmers and training of farmers.
• Participate in the designing and implementation of OFSP promotion events at district level and in the
• Implement interventions to improve storage and post-harvest management of sweetpotato.
• Assist in designing and implementation of operational research in cropping intensification to strengthen
sweetpotato production within dominant cropping system, including establishment of participatory trials,
monitoring, data collection and analysis.
• Contribute to implementation of project M & E activities and preparation of field monitoring and donor
• Perform any other tasks as assigned by the supervisor.
Academic qualifications :
• Holding a master’s degree or equivalent in Agriculture with specialization in Agronomy.
• Experience in conducting capacity building activities at smallholder farmers levels
• Experience in project monitoring and evaluation with knowledge of CsPro and GIS is essential.
• At least two years of relevant work experience.
• Good knowledge on agronomy of sweetpotato or other roots and tuber crops
• Data recording, field implementation of project activities, collaboration with partners (public and private
sectors), willingness to spend more time in the field, impact oriented,
• Documents and data requested by supervisor submitted on time with appropriate quality level
Key competencies and abilities :
• Capacity in data recording and field implementation of project activities.
• Ability to accurately collect and organize experimental data from field trials
• Competence in collaborate with partners (public and private sectors)
• Dedicated to impact-oriented field activities
• Skill in statistical analysis of research data
• Be able to work independently under multicultural and multidisciplinary environment
• Have a high degree of professional motivation
• Taking initiative, drive to deliver reliable results
• Willingness and openness to learn and develop new skills
• Good ability in writing and speaking, in both English and French or at least working knowledge in the
Terms and conditions
• This is a regionally recruited position
• AfricaRice provides an attractive salary and benefits package and a collegial and gender-sensitive working
• The initial appointment is for 12 months with a contract renewal possibility.
How to apply :
1. Please click on the following link: http://eservices.africarice.org/application/index.php
2. Sign up on the recruitment platform and access the vacancies
3. Select: Research Assistant in Agronomy
4. Follow the instructions to activate your application
Applications are admissible not later than September 6th
If you encounter some troubleshooting when applying,
kindly report incident through this email : firstname.lastname@example.org
AfricaRice promotes equal opportunities and believes that the diversity of its staff contributes to excellence and
encourages applications from women, those with disabilities, and those from developing countries.
We thank all candidates, but remember that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more information on AfricaRice, please visit our website at : www.AfricaRice.org