African Library & Information Associations (AfLIA) Leadership Academy 2019
Deadline: August 31, 2018
Applications are invited for the African Library & Information Associations (AfLIA) Leadership Academy 2019. AfLIA invites librarians working in public and national libraries to participate in the 9-month AfLIA Leadership Academy due to begin with a face -to- face workshop in January 2019.
The Leadership Academy aims at supporting middle level managers in African public and national libraries to be true leaders in their communities.
Participants will, after participating in the Academy:
- Understand the nature and requirements of effective leadership including an introspect into one’s leadership style;
- Gain a deep understanding of how to manage change and how to effectively carry out civic engagement;
- Apply the concept of Asset Based Community Development using the assets within their communities to bring about positive change;
- Understand the opportunities offered and challenges posed by partnering with both library and non-library organisations, and
- Form a network of engaged and transforming library leaders ready to lead in taking their national and the African Development agendas forward.
- Applicants must be working in an African public or national library;
- Must have at least three years of experience at managerial level;
- Must be able to read and write in English because the course is in English;
- Must have documented support from his/her organization;
- Must be an active member of the local library association;
- The institution to which he/she belongs must be a member of AfLIA;
- It will be advantageous to
- be from an institution that is hosting/has hosted an INELI participant;
- have demonstrated leadership qualities.
An interested applicant should:
- Download and complete the application form by typing in the required information
- Return the completed Form on or before August 31, 2018. The completed Form and all necessary attachments should be submitted to email@example.com with a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org
Submit a scanned endorsement letter from your library, on the Library’s letterheaded paper and signed by the head of the institution or his/her representative. This letter should be sent along with the Form.