Deadline: 9 December 2019
The U.S. Embassy in Sofia, Bulgaria is currently accepting proposals for its 2020 Ambassador’s Fund for Cultural Preservation (AFCP).
The AFCP supports projects to preserve cultural heritage in the following three categories:
- CULTURAL SITE: includes (but is not limited to) historic buildings and archaeological sites. Restoration or conservation of an ancient or historic building, preservation of an archaeological site, or documentation of cultural sites in a region for preservation purposes
- CULTURAL OBJECTS AND COLLECTIONS: from a museum, site, or similar institution – includes archaeological and ethnographic objects, paintings, sculpture, manuscripts, and general museum conservation activities. Conservation treatment for an object or collection of objects; needs assessment of a collection with respect to its condition and strategies for improving its state of conservation; inventory of a collection for conservation purposes; the creation of safe environments for storage or display of collections; or specialized training in the care and preservation of collections.
- FORMS OF TRADITIONAL CULTURAL EXPRESSION: includes traditional music, ceremony, rituals, knowledge, indigenous languages, dance, drama, and ancient crafts. Documentation and audiovisual recording of traditional music and dance forms for preservation and eventual dissemination, indigenous languages or support for training in the preservation of traditional arts or crafts that are threatened by extinction.
- The amount of each individual award must be no less than US $10,000 per project and no greater than US $200,000 per project.
- Applicants may propose performance periods of up to 24 months (two years) with two budget periods of one year each.
- Projects must begin before September 30, 2020, and conclude no later than September 30, 2022.
- Eligible project applicants are defined as reputable and accountable non-commercial entities, such as non-governmental organizations, museums, ministries of culture, or similar institutions and organizations, able to demonstrate that they have the requisite experience and capacity to manage projects to preserve cultural heritage.
- AFCP does not award grants to individuals, commercial entities, or to embassies or past award recipients, which have not fulfilled the objectives or reporting requirements of previous AFCP awards.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications via email at the address given on the website.
For more information, please visit https://bg.usembassy.gov/call-for-proposals-for-the-2020-ambassadors-fund-for-cultural-preservation-afcp/