Publications en Relation
MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at University of Cape Town 2017
Deadline: September 30, 2016
Applications are open for the MasterCard Foundation Scholarship to study at the University of Cape Town in 2017. The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town is part of a global initiative that seeks to provide 300 scholarships over 10 years to academically talented yet economically disadvantaged students from Sub-Saharan Africa for study at UCT. The Scholars Program is an initiative to educate young people – particularly from Africa – to lead change and make a positive social impact in their communities.
The scholarship’s tenure is for the full period of the academic program for which the Undergraduate Scholar has enrolled, with the second and subsequent years dependent on satisfactory academic progress and co-curricular involvement.
Tenure for the Honours level scholarships is one year. For Masters level the scholarships tenure is two years, dependent on academic progress and co-curricular participation of the Scholar.
Scholars will receive comprehensive scholarships, academic support, peer mentorship, career guidance, internship opportunities, transition-to-work support and access to a global alumni network.
In order to be considered for the MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town, applicants must be:
- Academically talented, must value learning and be driven to complete their education.
- Economically disadvantaged and facing significant financial barriers to accessing education.
- Committed to giving back to their own communities once studies are completed, to return to their home countries and take a leadership role in promoting social and economic improvement.
- Future leaders committed to embracing ethical leadership to improve the lives of others.
- Commitment to community service through previous and/or past engagements with community outreach activities
- Citizens and residents of a Sub-Saharan African country.
- Wanting to study at undergraduate or postgraduate level (Masters by research and coursework or research Masters, only). Honours applicants will be considered from 2016.
- Applying to study in the fields of Commerce, Engineering and Built Environment, Health Sciences, Humanities, Law or Sciences at the University of Cape Town.
- All prospective Scholars must first be admitted to the University of Cape Town to be considered for the Scholarship. Although each academic department has its own criteria, a minimum of 60% for the Honours, or equivalent degree is the overall academic criterion required for entry into the Masters’ degree.
- Preference will be given to ‘first-generation’ students, i.e. those who are the first ones in their families to go to university.
How to Apply
In other to apply, applicants must meet all the eligibility criteria, including the admission criteria for their chosen course of study at UCT.
For more information, visit Mastercard Foundation Scholarship at UCT.