Regional Director – People & Culture, West Africa Region
Fixed term, Full-time
International Role – Yes
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Provide strategic leadership to World Vision West Africa Region in the area of People & Culture, and Organizational Development by maximizing the potential of World Vision’s (WV) human resources and optimizing organizational performance, sustaining the culture and ensuring alignment to fulfill WV’s strategy. Reporting to the Senior Director of Operations, and matrix reporting to the Chief People Officer, the Regional People & Culture (P&C) Director will provide leadership in developing leadership capacity, furthering executive development of National Directors (NDs) and senior staff. The Regional P&C Director also will build strong relationship with Global Center client groups and engage with external network to collaborate and further build WV’s brand. Matrix manages National Office (NO) People & Culture Directors and leads a team of Regional Office People & Culture staff.
Leadership & Strategy:
• Lead West Africa Region’s P&C function in developing a vibrant and empowering culture that supports and enables the execution of World Vision’s strategy and achieve the child well-being aspirations and outcomes.
• Champion effectiveness & efficiency of West Africa Region’s P&C function through continuous development of high-quality services and processes to support leadership development and talent agenda.
• Guide the Leadership Team in the West Africa Regional Office, National Directors and National P&C Directors on all facets of P&C whilst promoting organizational culture, agility and effectiveness, alongside modeling Mindset & Behaviors and Core Competencies.
• Lead and promote compliance to applicable (local) employment regulations, immigration and labor laws as well as WV policies and guidelines.
• Demonstrate vibrant and mature Christian spiritual leadership through all People and Culture (P&C) related processes, practices and tools integrate, where applicable, and be guided by relevant competencies regarding WV’s Mission, Vision and Core Values.
Technical & Operational Support:
Provide direction and guidance in all areas of P&C such as Recruitment, Workforce Planning, Change & Organizational Development, Total Rewards, Employee Relations, Staff Care, Performance Management, Talent Development & Management, Retention, Succession Planning, among other specific objectives:
• The region has 2 of the Most Fragile Countries (Mali and Central Africa Republic (CAR)) and two others on the verge of falling into that category (Niger and Chad). Improving staff care and security is a priority and needs special attention, as well as reducing staff turn-over.
• Strengthening career conversations and intentional succession planning for leaders and managers.
• Working with National Office P&C leaders on enhancing and tracking gender balance in each office.
• Attracting, retaining and developing a pool of Francophone staff who are bi or multi-lingual.
• Provide objective input and contribution in the development of effective Global, Regional & National P&C Standards, Policies and Procedures.
• Work with Regional and National Offices’ stakeholders to ensure HR system (Our People) is optimized and P&C processes, policies and protocols are comprehended, followed and upheld in each offices to meet/advance P&C standards.
• Work with Regional and National Offices’ P&C network to identify, develop and nurture a robust talent bench of future leaders for succession planning.
• Lead the assessment, development and implementation of an integrated regional capacity building plan based on P&C priorities and strategy.
• Provide leadership to West Africa Region’s capacity building (learning & development) projects and initiatives in alignment with the global & regional capacity building framework and strategy.
• In partnership with key stakeholders, ensure gap analysis from Talent Management point of view and provide direction to improve the quality of talent pool pipeline.
• Inspire continuous learning and improvement in P&C practices, systems and tools that will enhance the efficiency and effectiveness the organization.
• Lead and encourage mutual learning among National Offices through formal and informal setting such as sharing of best practices and lesson learnt, community of practice and center of excellence.
• Promote the use of external and internal platform (Our People & WV Central) and other off-the-shelf learning materials to develop and contextualize learning materials and contents.
Quality Assurance/Risk Management:
• Provide direction to West Africa Region to ensure P&C compliance with WVI Partnership standards, policies and procedures. Advises the Regional & National Offices in addressing gaps/issues related to HR practices.
• Active role in providing direction to Regional and National Offices in preventing and mitigating risk related to employment / labor laws.
• Ensure effective implementation of Integrated Incident Management (IIM) and Employee Relations systems, ensures capacity at Regional and National Offices to manage incidents and follow through action plans & management decision.
• Act as strategic P&C link for West Africa Region to internal stakeholders – other Regional Offices, National Offices, Support Offices and Global Center.
• Develop and expand external networks and linkages with other International Non-governmental Organizations, Partners, P&C consulting groups, among others for collaboration, benchmarking and employer branding.
• Represent the West Africa Regional Office on internal and external forums.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
• A relevant Master’s Degree in Human Resources Management, Organizational Studies or an MBA.
• Knowledge and experience, living and working in an African country or similar developing, complex and fragile country context.
• Minimum 10 years’ experience in Human Resources Development with significant organizational development experience, or related fields in a complex, international organization (preferably in an INGO context).
• A high level capacity and demonstrated skill in setting vision, developing strategy on a broad scale in Human Resources.
• Strategic ability to influence direction of the organisation and the ability to implement this on a practical level.
• Broad experience in implementing world-class services in international/global organizations and ideally, in a network setting to diverse, dispersed and dynamic teams (e.g. matrix management).
• A deep understanding of how to make change happen, and of organizational development and culture change.
• Demonstrable strategic, clear thinker and creative leadership, management and coordination skills in a global network setting.
• Intellectual curiosity, courage and independence.
• Decisive, with the courage to make tough calls.
Human Resources Skills & Experience:
• A strong track record of strategic human resource management and substantial experience of leading international/regional Human Resources teams and transformational change in business and HR.
• Excellent assessor of talent and matching top performers to the jobs where they can add the most value.
• Experience in leading and managing complex projects, including learning and organizational development, culture change, recruitment and talent management and employee relations.
Organizational & Managerial Capability:
• Strong resource, financial, planning, project and process management skills, gained in a complex environment.
• Huge capability for complex problem solving and good sense of diagnosing performance issues of the organization and results oriented.
• Acuity and sensitivity to work in sync with the senior executives.
• Experience of cross-functional and cross cultural management including international/regional operations, support functions, engagement across a range of audience and disciplines.
• A proven ability to build, motivate, facilitate and engage a team, and play a key part in the wider management of an organization, towards delivery of key goals.
• The capacity to cohere passionate, experienced and independent individuals into a high performing and confident group, organization or movement.
• Excellent communication, diplomacy, negotiation, influencing and conflict mediation skills and the ability to apply these across a range of diverse audiences.
• Ability to represent organization at the senior most levels and externally.
• Fluent in French and English – speaking and writing skills.
• Living and working in West Africa Region.
• Experience in a regional role-managing multiple countries.
• Travel up to 30% per month when required (regional and international).
• This role involves the coordination with geographically dispersed P&C teams located in national offices.