World Summit Awards 2018 for Digital Innovators (Invitation to WSA World Congress in Vienna, Austria)
Deadline: August 31, 2018
The World Summit Awards 2018 is now open for applications. The World Summit Awards are a unique awards system, selecting and promoting local digital innovation with high impact on improving society. Combining an ongoing series of international events and activities with a global network of start-ups, social entrepreneurs, mentors, jurors, speakers, experts, government leaders, academia and civil society, WSA is an international platform for cut edge examples on how ICTs can have an impact on society.
Submissions for WSA 2018 can contain all digital content with a clear impact, such as: apps, webpages, applications for wearables, kiosk installations, SMS based products, mobile and online games and interactive productions. There is no limitation regarding the platforms or channels the projects work with.
WSA categories reflect the UN WSIS action lines and are updated regularly to meet the development of the markets.
- Government & Citizen Engagement – services | open data | democratic participation
- Health & Well Being – medical care | sport | lifestyle
- Learning & Education – knowledge | science | skills
- Environment & Green Energy – climate | sustainable resources | agriculture
- Culture & Tourism – heritage | entertainment | subcultures
- Smart Settlements & Urbanization – mobility |productive work | sustainable living
- Business & Commerce – innovative services | security | finance | marketing
- Inclusion & Empowerment – diversity | gender | justice | human rights
- WSA Young Innovators – youth taking action on the SDG’s | strictly for people under 30
The World Summit Awards are a non-monetary award system with a focus on sustainable knowledge transfer through a worldwide network. This means that winners benefit not from a one time financial reward, but a lifelong partnership and integration.
Winners of the World Summit Awards benefit from:
- Invitation to the WSA World Congress including:
- Pitching seminars
- 7 minute pitch session in front of an international audience during the Congress
- A program of especially crafted workshops for the winners
- Invitation to the prestigious award ceremony and Gala night
- Board and lodging for the durance of the Congress
- Eye to eye exchange with speakers, jurors and international guests
- Integration into a network of internationally recognizeddigital content developers
- Access to the WSA community of global experts and industry leaders in over 178 countries
- Interaction with world-renowned sponsors and partners of the WSA community
- Workshops specially shaped for the winners needs
- A videoclip highlighting the winners projects
- Special placementon WSA website, youtube channel and social media promotion
- Long-term coverage within WSA editorial channels
A nomination for the World Summit Award is already a win – these are the rewards:
- More coverage on your product. WSA provides nominees with press templates to help them to gain the attention of national media with support of the WSA national experts
- World Summit Award nominee seal to use on websites, social media channels and publications
- Opportunity to receive feedback from the jurors.
- Being nominated for the World Summit Award means to be the best in the respective country in one of our 8 categories. Our experience has shown that this qualification can immensely improve outreach.
- WSA is open to any company, organisation or individual in any UN and UNESCO member state.
- The participation in the WSA Young Innovators is restricted to any entrepreneur, company, student group or project team, where at least one of the founding members and the majority of the team is under the age of 30 (born on or after January 1, 1988) from any of the UN and UNESCO member states.
- The World Summit Award (WSA) looks for digital applications that have a strong impact on society in one of the 8 WSA categories. WSA focusses on content depth, strategic value and local impact of a product.
- Submissions for the WSA can contain all mobile and web-based applications, such as: apps, webpages, applications for wearables, kiosk installations, sms based products, mobile games and interactive mobile productions. There is no limitation regarding the platforms or channels the projects work with.
- All submissions have to be launched products. No drafts, prototypes, demonstrations or unfinished projects can be accepted.
- All submitted products must have been completed after Jan. 1, 2016. For a project or product completed earlier, the submitters have to document significant alterations and / or improvements and / or additions have been made in the period thereafter.
- A product can only be submitted for one category. In case of multiple submissions by the same organisation, company or team, each product requires a separate registration. Submissions which have been nominated in the WSA in previous years cannot be submitted again. For a project which has been already submitted before, the submitters have to document significant alterations and / or improvements and / or additions.
- April 15 – August 31, 2018: WSA call for nominations
- September/October 2018: Online Jury
- November 2018: Grand Jury Meeting (tbc)
- Spring 2019: WSA Global Congress and Winners Ceremony in Vienna, Austria
- Taking part in the WSA is eligible by being nominated by a WSA national expert.
- The WSA national experts select in a democratic process which solutions will be nominated for each respective WSA category.
- Deadlines for national submission of application for WSA may vary locally. National deadlines can be earlier than the communicated international WSA call deadline. WSA national experts are entitled to set independent national deadlines for application to WSA.
- Registration, including submitting project information, must be completed online via the WSA contest database in coordination with the communicated international WSA call deadline.
- Submitting a product to the evaluation and selection process does by no means entitle a producer to any benefits. There is no way of challenging this decision legally.
- Only submitted and fully filled in applications will be considered by the WSA Jury. WSA Jury may switch applications to other categories.
- Submission is free of charge.
WSA Young Innovators
- Taking part in the WSA Young Innovators is eligible through submission of a project with a clear digital component to the WSA Database.
- Only submitted and fully filled in applications will be considered by the WSA Jury.
- Main team members of the projects submitted must be under 30 years of age (born on or after January 1, 1988).
- Submission is free of charge.
The call for nominations is open from now to the 15th of August 2018; two weeks can be given as extension. Please read the rules & conditions, before applying.
How to Apply
- To find out who your WSA National Expert is, please click here. Email the WSA office who will be happy to introduce you to your WSA National Expert . Once you have contacted your expert, they will go through the steps you will need to take in order to qualify for national selection with you.
- Some countries also offer application through a national contest.
- Your project will be reviewed and evaluated if it meets the eligibility criteria and standards of WSA. If your project is chosen to be nominated in one of the WSA categories, your WSA National Expert will enter your data in the WSA online Contest Database. Please make sure your WSA National Expert has the right contact data.
- Upon nomination, you will receive a confirmation email inviting you to complete your application. Please make sure to check your spamfolder. After submitting your application you are officially enrolled in the global WSA. An especially assembled international Jury will then evaluated all nominated and completed projects and choose the 40 WSA winners and WSA Young Innovators per year.