World Food Programme recruits 01 UNHAS Aviation Officer
World Food Programme
Humanitaire (ONG, Associations, …), Projet/programme de développement
Opportunités de carrière : UNHAS Aviation Officer NOB, Maiduguri (153981)
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
These jobs are found in Headquarters (HQ) or Country Offices (COs) and report to a more senior Aviation Officer. Job holders are likely to be involved in more complex and specialized analysis requirements and will be expected to operate with a high degree of independence. Job holders may supervise junior staff to ensure that aviation operations and project objectives are achieved in accordance with appropriate operational risk management process.
Contribute to daily planning and coordination of global aviation initiatives or day-to-day aviation operations to ensure that operations and objectives are achieved safely, at optimum value and in full.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
1. Contribute to the planning and coordination or activities relating to the safe execution of aviation operations in accordance with WFP and UN AVSTADS (Aviation Standards).
2. Support or manage aviation projects or operational activities applying standard processes, including the appropriate operational risk management processes, to contribute to effective humanitarian air transportation.
3. Provide technical advice to country office to ensure safe aviation operations are incorporated into local program planning and transport arrangements.
4. Collect and analyze a wide range of data from diverse sources through research and networking with colleagues to formulate and recommend actions to senior staff to improve performance of aviation activities and operations.
5. Participate in the on-going review of internal processes and procedures and identify ways to increase the day-to-day efficiencies.
6. Support regular financial analysis and budget reviews, drawing out insights and recommending actions to senior staff to optimize use of available funds.
7. Guide and supervise a limited number of junior staff, acting as a point of referral and supporting them with more complex analysis and queries.
8. Collate data and contribute to preparation of accurate and timely reporting, supporting a WFP-wide view of aviation activities that enables informed decision making and detailed reporting to donor representatives.
9. Support the capacity building of WFP staff and partners to safe aviation operations e.g. through the design and review of training materials.
10. Identify and build productive relationships with WFP colleagues and staff within the unit or area of assignment to align activities and enable a coordinated and coherent approach to humanitarian air transportation.
11. Follow emergency aviation preparedness practices to ensure WFP are able to quickly provide passenger services, relief supplies and emergency medical and security evacuations at the onset of a crisis.
12. Act in an assigned emergency response capacity as required to meet the required provision of service to the humanitarian community as needed.
13. Other as required.
Capability Name Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level
Supply Chain Management and Optimization Demonstrates ability to design basic supply chain networks, including appropriately assessing and escalating challenges to ensure that WFP is able to provide consistent and uninterrupted service to its beneficiaries and partners.
Planning, Project & Resource Management Collects and analyses relevant technical data from diverse sources to forecast operational needs under various scenarios and makes evidence-based proposals.
Information Management & Reporting Liaises with internal and external stakeholders to consolidate preliminary data analysis, draft reports and disseminate information that represents concerns and trends.
Service Provision, Aviation Contracting and Operational Execution Demonstrates ability to negotiate contracts with WFP partners within own transportation modality/region that incentivize optimal performance by appealing to the interest of all parties.
Aviation Performance Measurement & Quality Control Demonstrates ability to enforce adherence to WFP’s operating and quality standards within own teams to ensure that aviation operations are carried out in a high quality, safe, timely, and responsible manner.
Specialized Technical Knowledge in Aviation, Safety and Security Demonstrates ability to contribute to advancements in air-based supply chain management through effective utilization of WFP’s extensive network of chartered and commercial airfreight and passenger transport service providers ensuring safety and security of effective delivery of services.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
• Experience in technical aircraft, flight operations, or air traffic management sectors.
• Experience using aviation safety information systems to compile data and perform analyses on potential aviation risks.
• Experience identifying Aviation Security threats.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education : Advanced University degree in Aeronautics, Aviation Engineering, Airport Management or other relevant field, or First University degree with additional years of relevant work experience and/or training/courses. Holds or has held a Commercial Pilot License, Air Traffic Control License or Flight Operations Officer License (or equivalent), Aeronautical Engineer or Maintenance Engineer License.
Language : International Professional : Fluency (level C) in English language. Intermediate knowledge (level B) of a second official UN language: Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish, and/or WFP’s working language, Portuguese.
National Professional : Fluency (level C) in English language and the duty station’s language, if different.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
• Only Nigerian Nationals or candidates who have valid Nigerian residence and work permits are eligible to apply for this position.
• Applications are to be submitted and received online and in English language only.
• The contract is 12 months on a Fixed Term level, with possibility of renewal.
• Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Canvassing is strictly prohibited. Canvassing of any sort will lead to automatic disqualification of the concerned applicant.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Deadline for submission of applications is 2nd December 2021 by 2359hrs.
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.