World Food Programme recruits 01 Programme Policy Officer- Data Analyst (Vulnerability Analysis and Mapping) NOA
World Food Programme
Programme Policy Officer- Data Analyst (Vulnerability Analysis and Mapping) NOA
Area of expertise : Programme & policy
Country : Rwanda
Type of contract : Long term opportunities
Closing date : 04 December 2019, 22:59 GMT
Join us to make a difference
Watch this video to know more about us!!
Link: WFP Corporate Video
WFP Rwanda seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
JOB TITLE : Programme Policy Officer- Data Analyst (Vulnerability Analysis and Mapping- VAM)
JOB GRADE: National Officer- NOA
REPORTING TO: Head of VAM and M&E Unit
DURATION: 12 Months renewable
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
Under the direct supervision of the head of Vulnerability Analysis and Mapping (VAM) and M&E and the overall supervision of the Country Director and Representative, the Programme Policy Officer – Data Analyst will be responsible for leading the Data Integration Working Group (DIWG) activities in Rwanda country office as well as activities related to the Vulnerability Analysis and Mapping (VAM). The incumbent will provide support to policy and programme activities that effectively meet food assistance needs.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Advanced University degree in Computer Sciences, International Affairs, Economics, Nutrition/Health, Agriculture, Environmental Science, Social Sciences or other field relevant to international development assistance, or First University Degree with additional years of related work experience and/or trainings/courses.
Knowledge and Skills
• Good knowledge of SPSS
• Good knowledge of databases and Sequel Server database (SQL) in particular
• Python or R programming skills
Experience: At least one year of post-education, progressively responsible experience in database development/management, vulnerability analysis, data analysis or a closely related area or projects.
Language: Fluency (level C) in English language; Knowledge of a second UN language will be an added value
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
• Contribute towards the development of projects, plans and processes, ensuring data availability and alignment with wider programme policies and guidance.
• Provide project management support to the country strategic plan activities and ensure that the data gathered in the CO is available on consolidated platforms contributing to effective decision making
• Ensure robust data gathering and monitoring systems are in place with rigorous quality standards maintained.
• Support the capacity building of WFP staff, partners and national government to prepare for and respond to food assistance needs, e.g. through data collection, data availability and analysis.
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
1. Survey set up and development of data collection tools
• Participate, as and when needed in the design of Vulnerability Analysis and Mapping (VAM) and M&E surveys;
• Prepare questionnaires/checklists and field materials for data collection for Food Security and Nutrition Monitoring System and other VAM/M&E surveys;
• Develop and programme Personal Digital Assistant questionnaires and other related data collection tools for VAM surveys;
2. Database set up, maintenance
• Rationalize existing Country Office (CO) VAM and M&E data storage into a limited number of user-friendly databases, avoiding duplication with corporate VAM data bases (online VAM portal…) and corporate M&E systems and ensure the possibility to export them into different file formats for analysis;
• Coordinate regular update of corporate VAM and food security databases and ensure consistency with CO databases as required;
• Ensure quality and consistency of collected data; lead database management; the maintenance of clean datasets and follow up any inconsistencies/discrepancies;
• Establish CO database converging all CO key data overlaying food security and other operational information in line with the data needs from every unit
• Lead design and implementation of various visual products (such as using Tableau) and link them to the databases for real time reporting and visualization
• Liaise with relevant colleagues in and outside WFP, and consult various references on knowledge base on unresolved technical problems when the needs arise;
3. Data Processing/Reporting and dissemination
• Compile food security and vulnerability information, monthly market price data from monthly situation reports from Field-Offices and other sources; MINAGRI, districts etc. as needed for CO and other WFP/VAM reporting purposes (e.gg: Global Market Price Monitor Bulletin)
• Analyse data from VAM databases using SPSS and other software and prepare expected outputs (graphs, tables, short reports etc.) for further dissemination;
• Assist in drafting VAM bulletins and reports;
• Ensure regular Food security, vulnerability, market data is disseminated to CO staff, Regional Bureau, and HQ as required;
• Follow up of any information/data which are relevant to VAM for further analysis as required;
4. Data Integration Working Group Coordination
• Coordinate the Data Integration Working Group’s day-to-day activities and manage the group’s secretariat, a small team comprised of members with diverse and specialized skills in data and information management;
• Technical lead of data and system integration activities including ideation, presentation and implementation of innovative ideas;
• Ideation, design and implementation of visual products using Tableau.
5. Geographic Information system and Mapping
• Support mapping
• Ensure Geo-spatial data is available for mapping activities; including, X, Y coordinates for all WFP Rwanda projects, data for road network layers, Topographic layers, infrastructure layers and Remote Sensing imagery;
• Conduct basic mapping;
• Verify the VAM mapping database is up to date.
6. Capacity building of staff and partners
• Train field office staff and enumerators on data collection and use of PDAs and GPS data collection as needed;
• Update and maintain help files and manual documentation in order to improve data collector’s knowledge and improve quality of data collection;
• Travel as necessary to the field to ensure quality data collection for VAM/M&E surveys and give necessary support to data collection teams;
• Train and give support to WFP staff for data entry and data extraction/reporting in and from VAM databases;
• Perform other related duties as required.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
Has managed project and provided input into designing operations. Has provided input into policy discussions and decisions. Has proven experience in data management and has been exposed to modern data management tools:
– Tableau Desktop and Server skills are an asset
– Mapping and GIS skills (ArcGIS, QGIS) are an asset
– Experience working with the humanitarian sector or in a social science field is an asset.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
• Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Understands WFP’s Strategic Objectives and the link to own work objectives.
• Be a force for positive change: Flexibly adapts individual contributions to accommodate changes in direction from supervisors and internal/external changes (such as evolving needs of beneficiaries, new requirements of partners).
• Make the mission inspiring to our team: Recognizes and shares with team members the ways in which individual contributions relate to WFP’s mission.
• Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Sets own goals in alignment with WFP’s overall operations, and is able to communicate this link to others.
• Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Assesses own strengths and weaknesses to increase self-awareness, and includes these in conversations on own developmental needs.
• Create an inclusive culture: Participates in open dialogue, and values the diverse opinion of others, regardless of background, culture, experience, or country assignment.
• Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Proactively seeks feedback and coaching to build confidence, and develop and improve individual skills.
• Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Participates in accomplishing team activities and goals in the face of challenging circumstances.
• Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Shows willingness to explore and experiment with new ideas and approaches in own work.
• Focus on getting results: Consistently delivers results within individual scope of work on time, on budget and without errors.
• Make commitments and make good on commitments: Commits to upholding individual accountabilities and responsibilities in the face of ever-changing country or functional priorities.
• Be Decisive: Makes rational decisions about individual activities when faced with uncertain circumstances, including in times of ambiguity regarding information or manager direction.
• Connect and share across WFP units: Seeks to understand and adapt to internal or cross-unit teams’ priorities and preferred working styles.
• Build strong external partnerships: Demonstrates ability to understand and appropriately respond to and/or escalate needs of external partners.
• Be politically agile & adaptable: Portrays an informed and professional demeanor toward internal and external partners and stakeholders.
• Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Provides operational support on analyses and assessments that quantifies and demonstrates WFP’s unique value as a partner.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Eligibility: This position is open for Rwanda Nationals only and applications must be submitted online
How to apply:
• Internal WFP staff can access the VA through the internal WFP CAREER page via the link: http://newgo.wfp.org/services/e-recruitment
• External applicants are kindly requested to follow the link: http://www1.wfp.org/careers/job-openings
Make sure you answer all mandatory questions accurately and please attach your most updated CV in English.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
04 DECEMBER 2019
Qualified female applicants are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.