World Bank recruits 01 ET Consultant – Operational Lawyer
Banque et Assurances
ET Consultant – Operational Lawyer
Job # : req13621
Organization : World Bank
Sector : Legal
Grade : EC2
Term Duration : 1 year 0 months
Recruitment Type : Local Recruitment
Location : Dakar,Senegal
Required Language(s) : English, French
Preferred Language(s) :
Closing Date : 11/18/2021 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. For more information, visit www.worldbank.org
Innovation and partnership bond the five institutions of the World Bank Group (WBG): the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD) and the International Development Association (IDA), which together form the World Bank; the International Finance Corporation (IFC); the Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (MIGA); and the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID). The World Bank Group is one of the world’s largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries. It uses financial resources and extensive experience to help our client countries to reduce poverty, increase economic growth, and improve quality of life. To ensure that countries can access the best global expertise and help generate cutting-edge knowledge, the World Bank Group is constantly seeking to improve the way it works. Key priorities include delivering measurable results, promoting openness and transparency in development, and improving access to development information and data.
In the context of the World Bank’s broad development agenda, the Legal Vice Presidency (LEGVP), under the Senior Vice President and Group General Counsel, is responsible for providing legal support to internal and external World Bank clients on operational, advisory and corporate matters. LEGVP provides legal services required by the World Bank and plays an active role in all the World Bank’s activities. In addition, LEGVP helps to ensure that all World Bank activities comply with the institution’s Articles of Agreement, as well as its operational policies and procedures. Organizationally, LEGVP includes geographically-based regional Operational Practice Groups devoted to the legal and policy aspects of the World Bank’s lending operations, and Corporate Practice Groups, which provide advice on corporate finance, administrative and institutional matters for the World Bank.
LEGAM provides operational legal support to two regions: (i) Africa, and (ii) Middle East and North Africa (MENA). Both Africa and MENA include a mix of low-income, lower- middle-income, and upper-middle income countries, and several fragile states. The World Bank work program in Africa is the largest among all the Regions. The Africa and MENA Regions together represent 38% of the World Bank’s net commitments and 41% of its number of projects in addition to a robust and complex trust fund portfolio.
The Extended Term Consultant will be a member of the LEGAM Practice Group, under the general supervision of both Chief Counsels, with day-to-day guidance provided by one or more Lead or Senior Counsels. The Extended Term Consultant will be a lawyer who can operate independently to handle legal, operational and policy issues related to the Bank’s operations while working collaboratively with other lawyers within the Practice Group and LEG as a whole.
The selected candidate will report to both Chief Counsels, LEGAM.
Duties & Accountabilities:
The Extended Term Consultant, under the supervision of the Lead/Senior Counsel, will:
– Draft legal agreements and/or pleadings, litigation filings, and other legal documents.
– Prepare legal memoranda on complex legal issues.
– Conduct legal research on complex issues of law.
– Advise teams on World Bank policies and procedures.
– Provide guidance to Administrative Client Support staff and/or paralegals on processing of documentation.
– Carry out any other complementary duties assigned by the Lead/Senior Counsel.
– At minimum, an LL.B. degree or equivalent and qualified to practice law in at least one jurisdiction. A Master’s degree in law is desirable.
– Minimum 5 years’ experience involving legal research, contract drafting and/or other relevant legal experience
General Competencies Required
– Excellent legal research, writing, analytical and communications skills.
– Excellent interpersonal skills.
– Familiarity in the use of varied legal research sources (including electronic sources in the internet) and other databases.
– Fully proficient in computer skills, particularly in using word processing software, information databases, internet services, and library sources.
– Ability to work well as a team member in a multi-cultural and multi-ethnic environment.
– Ability to work under time pressure and to juggle multiple tasks within tight deadlines.
– Experience in litigation, administrative and contract law, and preparation of court filings and/or commercial transactions and negotiating legal agreements are a plus
– Fluency in written and spoken English and French is indispensable, as well as excellent drafting skills. Applicants will be asked to undertake a drafting exercise as part of the selection process.
Other Competencies Required
– Deliver Results for Clients: Contributes to delivery of results for clients on complex issues. Sets challenging goals that align with the WBG mission and is always looking to improve. Understands clients’ most pressing challenges and contributes to solutions. Takes personal responsibility for producing high quality work, identifying and informing of risks, and delivering results for clients.
– Collaborate Within Teams and Across Boundaries: Takes personal responsibility and accountability for timely response to client queries, requests or needs, working to remove obstacles that may impede execution or overall success. Shares information and frame thinking/actions with a corporate perspective in mind.
– Lead and Innovate: Brings new and different insights. Applies critical thinking to current approaches, identifies areas for improvement, and tries new solutions that drive results. Considers own behavior in context of WBG’s values and mission and recognizes impact one has on others. Operates in ambiguity and changing needs and supports others to do the same
– Create, Apply and Share Knowledge: Actively contributes to and readily applies WBG’s body of knowledge for internal and/or external client solutions. Contributes to the department’s and WBG’s body of knowledge by applying lessons learned and expertise. Actively invests in own knowledge and seeks feedback. Builds personal and professional networks within and beyond the work group
– Make Smart Decisions: Leverages available data and makes timely decisions. Seeks and analyzes facts, data and lessons of past experience to support sound, logical decisions regarding own and others’ work. Applies cost/benefit analysis to meet work program objectives. Contributes to decision making by providing relevant risk-analysis. Shows initiative when necessary and makes decisions in a timely manner within own area of responsibility.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.
Note: The selected candidate will be offered a one-year appointment, renewable for an additional one year, at the discretion of the World Bank Group, and subject to a lifetime maximum ET Appointment of two years. If an ET appointment ends before a full year, it is considered as a full year toward the lifetime maximum. Former and current ET staff who have completed all or any portion of their second-year ET appointment are not eligible for future ET appointments.