Women for Africa Foundation (FMxA) Science by Women Program 2021 (Funded)
Deadline: September 30, 2021
Applications are open for the Women for Africa Foundation (FMxA) Science by Women Program 2021. The Science by Women program was launched with the aims of promoting African women’s leadership in scientific research and technology transfer and fostering the capacity of the research centres in their home countries.
The program’s ultimate goal is to enable African women researchers to play a leading role in the transition of Africa to a knowledge-based and innovation-led economy and thereby in the transformation of people’s daily lives.
The Science by Women program will fund six-month visiting senior research fellowships for experienced African women researchers in different international research centres of excellence based in Spain.
Areas of Research
The preferred areas of research include:
- Health and Bio-medicine
- Energy, Water and Climate Change
- Sustainable Agriculture and Food Safety
Successful candidates will have access to the following benefits:
- Return flight from their centre of origin to the host institution.
- Living allowance of 2,400 Euros (before taxes) per month to cover accommodation, personal expenses and health and occupational accident insurance coverage. Only Biodonostia offers full boarding accommodation and a living allowance of 1,400 Euros gross.
- Applicant must be a woman.
- Having the nationality of an African country.
- Having a PhD with at least 3 years of post-doctoral professional experience.
- Current contractual relationship with a university or a public or private non-profit organization based in Africa dedicated to significant scientific research in the areas indicated above.
- Excellent academic record and proven track of relevant research experience.
- Solid working knowledge of English.
- Proven experience leading a research group.
Applications will be subjected to a highly competitive selection process by the Women for Africa Foundation’s Scientific Committee. The jury will evaluate the following criteria:
- The candidate’s research career, curriculum vitae and experience as independent research group leader.
- The project’s scientific-technical quality and innovative potential.
- The expected and measurable economic or social impact of the research project.
- The candidate’s plan to communicate and disseminate the project’s results.
- The proper consideration of ethical issues where appropriate.
Candidates must submit the following documents:
- Letter of Interest (max. 1 page)
- Full curriculum vitae (Europass format is ecommended)
- Fully filled form
- Brief but concise description of the project to be developed in the Spanish host centre (max. 2 pages).