WFP recrute 01 Communication Officer
The UN World Food Programme (WFP) is the United Nations frontline agency against world hunger. It is one of the largest and longest serving humanitarian agency in Cameroon. Currently WFP activities are: Nutrition sensitive school meals activities; Institutional capacity strengthening; Nutrition treatment; Malnutrition prevention; Asset creation and livelihood support. WFP has operations in various parts of the Country. WFP cherishes and takes pride in fostering a working environment of high capacity, diversity and innovation. We are currently seeking an experienced and creative Communication Officer (NOB) to join our team in Senegal.
Under the general supervision of the Country Director and the technical oversight of the Regional Communication, Advocacy and Marketing unit, the Communication and Advocacy Officer will design and implement communication and advocacy plans that positions WFP as a strategic partner to end hunger and malnutrition in Senegal, deliver a range of communications activities – engage stakeholders and contribute to influence policy, manage media relations, digital content – providing research and analysis, and prioritising effectively.
- Support the design and implementation of a communication and advocacy strategy that analyses the situation, identifies advocacy issues, set goals and objectives, identify targets and influencers, develop an action plan, resourcing and implementation of the plan;
- Seize opportunities for WFP’s thought leadership on food security and nutrition with tactics and messaging to impact appropriate audiences;
- Contribute to communications through good research, analysis of assigned area of work and timely preparation and distribution of information products to target audience(s).
Key accountabilities (not all-inclusive)
Content production and Digital
- Support the CO in producing or outsourcing the production of compelling content including, text, photos, graphics, videos and audio for use across a range of integrated online platforms and media, to support advocacy, brand building, as well as illustrate and demonstrate impact of WFP’s work for fund-raising activities;
- Support the social media plan by developing social media content, and utilizing platforms, networks and partners to enhance coverage and support of WFP’s activities.
Networking and Partnerships
- Develop and maintain partnerships through extensive networking and proactive collaboration with the media, advocacy groups and other critical partners (including Government, UN entities, NGO, bilateral counterparts) and key influencers, whose support is essential to achieving WFP objectives.
- Ensure collaboration with internal global/regional communication partners to guarantee and consistency in messaging to enhance understanding
- Generate donor specific visibility content including, text, photos, videos and audio for use across a range of integrated online platforms, to support global and country fund-raising activities, ensuring consistency with corporate messages.
- Monitor and analyse traditional and social media to inform the development and/or evaluation of communication activities and strategies.
- Lead on managing reputational risk issues – leveraging WFP Regional Bureau and Headquarters competencies as needed;
- Ensure that responses to direct or indirect requests for information about the work of WFP CO, provide understanding of its objectives, policies and activities;
- Manage relations with the media – draft, edit texts for news releases, feature articles, briefing notes, backgrounders, Questions & Answers (Q&A), arrange interviews; and provide content
Other specific job requirements
- Has gained experience in utilising specialist communications techniques to enhance functional outputs
- Has provided direction and instruction to more junior staff members within area of expertise
- Ability to work independently in a timely and organised manner.
- Willingness to explore and experiment new ideas and approaches in own work.
- Ability to work in a team and multi-task as needed.
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills and the ability to liaise effectively with representatives from the international community, local and international media, governments, private sector, civil society, academia and other relevant actors, when required;
- Effectively, and in a timely manner, liaises and interacts with colleagues and concerned parties internally and externally
- General knowledge of Information Management with some understanding of the basic theoretical background.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including substantive analysis and report writing skills.
Standard minimum qualifications
- Education: Advanced University degree in Journalism, International Relations, Public Relations, Communications or other relevant field, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience and/or trainings/courses.
- Experience: 3 years or more of postgraduate professional work experience in Journalism, International Relations, Public Relations, Communications
- Language: Working knowledge (proficiency/Level C) of both French and English is required.
Terms and conditions
- Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Only Senegalese nationals are eligible to apply for this position
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Selected candidate will be employed on a fixed-term contract with a probationary period of one year.
If you are interested in this position, please send your detailed e-mail application: CV and cover letter.