Social Protection Officer, FT NOC Nairobi
Area of expertise : Programme & policy
Country : Kenya
Type of contract : Long term opportunities
Date of Issue: 13th June 2019 Closing Date: 27th June 2019
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every single day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
The WFP Somalia activities include food assistance for relief, school feeding, safety nets, nutrition and food assistance for assets creation through provision of in-kind and cash-based transfers. WFP has been engaged in the Social Protection and Safety Nets agenda since 2017, supporting the government to develop their Social Protection policy and implementing a shock responsive Safety Net since 2018.
The Social Protection Officer will be supporting WFP Somalia further develop the Social Protection and Safety Net agenda, as well as, managing the current programme, under the supervision of the Head of Programme and in close coordination with partners and donors. The role will require regular travel to Somalia.
This position is open to Kenyan nationals only and based in the Nairobi Liaison Office. Female candidates are particularly and highly encouraged to apply.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Manage the strategic development and guide the implementation of the WFP Somali Safety Nets;
• Be the primary point of contact of WFP Somalia for partners on Social Protection and Safety Nets;
• Further develop WFP Somalia’s agenda on Social Protection;
• Translate Corporate WFP programme policy on Social Protection and Safety Net into country level practices;
• Provide technical advice and support to offices in Somalia and ensure that policy and programme operations are consistent and compliant with WFP policies;
• Conduct assessment and analysis on activities, transfer modalities, the deployment and testing of innovative strategies to support government efforts to implement Social Protection;
• Establish and maintain operational partnerships, as well as identify opportunities for collaborative approaches and initiatives;
• Enhance WFP’s leadership status in various forums through direct participation, briefings, information products and other materials on Social Protection and Safety Nets;
• Work closely with other UN agencies, donors and government to support the development of social protection in Somalia;
• Conduct regular research and evidence building on emerging issues to Social Protection;
• Prepare and share reports, publications and a variety of information products for internal or external use;
• Contribute to resource mobilization efforts, follow up and monitor available resources for key relevant projects;
• Provide technical/functional training for capacity building of WFP staff and partners;
• Perform other duties as required.
Education: Advanced University degree in International Affairs, Economics, Social Sciences or other field relevant to international development assistance, or First University Degree with three (3) additional years of related work experience.
Experience: At least five (5) years of post-graduate experience in handling complex programmes, including several years on programmes related to Social Protection and Safety Nets, preferably within the UN/INGO sector.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English is a requirement.
Knowledge & Skills:
• Professional experience in the field with ability to work independently with minimum supervision;
• Experience working with donors and establishing creative partnerships;
• Excellent writing and presentation skills in English. Reports and policy documents writing skills;
• Experience in organizing and coordinating workshops with various partners at national and subnational levels;
• Training and/or experience utilizing computers including word processing, spreadsheet and other WFP standard software packages and systems. General Knowledge of UN systems and policies, rules, regulations and procedures governing administration;
• Knowledge and experience in WFP interventions in Somalia is an added advantage.
You are required to submit an online application through E-Recruitment. Applications that do not meet the above requirements will be disregarded and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
WFP seeks applicants of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
WFP is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
Selection of candidates is made on a competitive basis.