Welthungerhilfe recruits 01 Head of Project – Waste Management Chain*
The position is to be filled as soon as possible, with an initial contract duration of one year. There are good prospects for an extension. Employment location will be Koidu, Sierra Leone, with regular trips to Bo, Kenema, Makeni and Freetown for meetings at ministry level.
From December 2020, Welthungerhilfe will implement a waste management project in Koidu, Bo, Kenema and Makeni to improve integrated waste management and waste recycling at district and national level. Additionally to the technical support related to waste recycling, the new project aims at supporting coordination of waste management at level of the Ministry of Local Government and Rural Development. As Head of Project you will be responsible for the coordination, planning and operative implementation of the project while ensuring an appropriate use of funds as well as a correctly and duly reporting to Welthungerhilfe’s Country Office and donors. The project is carried out in accordance with Welthungerhilfe standards and the directives/provisions of the co-financer.
- Carrying out the project planning, implementation, monitoring and the project’s financial control
- Ensuring that all project relevant support (monitoring, logistics, finance administration, etc.) is in place
- Reporting to the Country Director/Head of Programmes on the progress of the project(s)
- Participatory development of Waste Management Policies aiming at reduction, collection, reuse, recycling and safe disposal of waste
- Regular coordination meetings with the respective City Councils mentioned above
- Technical advisory for the private sector businesses in waste recycling for scaling up in the respective secondary towns
- Strengthening the enforcement of policies through the participatory development of related rules and regulations for waste management in cooperation with the relevant ministries, especially the Ministry of Local Government and Rural Development
- Technical advisory on existing integrated liquid and solid waste management chain at Bo, Kenema, Koidu and Makeni town level
- Representing Welthungerhilfe in relevant fora/clusters at state and national levels and within the humanitarian community
- A university or polytechnic degree in development/humanitarian aid or qualifications that are commensurate with this position
- 5 years of project management experience in carrying out transitional/development projects with international aid agencies
- Professional experience in technical and financial advisory at secondary town level
- BMZ, EU and/or DFID donor experience would be an advantage
- Broad knowledge of intergrated liquid and solid waste management chain, with emphasis on recycling
- Coordination and organisational skills – even under a high workload
- A high level of resilience and readiness to travel to areas with volatile local conditions
- Excellent spoken and written English language skills
We offer you the opportunity to work in a responsible and interesting field as part of an extremely dedicated team. Welthungerhilfe attaches great importance to the personal and professional development of its employees and the balance of their work and private life. This includes flexible working hours as well as working from home. Remuneration is based on our gender-independent salary scale. In addition, Welthungerhilfe offers numerous other benefits, which are listed under “Our benefits”.
*We welcome applications from all people, regardless of gender, confession, or origin. In case of equal qualification, people with disabilities will be given preferential consideration.