Wave recrute 01 Compliance Lead, Dakar, Sénégal
We’re making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, over half the population in Sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That’s for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We’re solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don’t always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. In 2019, we expanded to Cote d’Ivoire. Now, we have millions of users and are growing fast. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent. And that’s where you come in….
How you’ll help us achieve it
We’re looking for a Compliance Lead who’s resourceful and excited about getting things done. You’ll be responsible for ensuring compliance with regulations, identifying and documenting regulatory risks and assisting the businesses in developing controls.
The Compliance Lead, one of the most important members of the management team, is primarily responsible for overseeing compliance within an organization and ensuring compliance with laws, regulatory requirements, policies and procedures.
As the Compliance Lead and subject matter expert, he is responsible for establishing standards and implementing procedures to ensure that the compliance programs throughout the organization are effective and efficient in identifying, preventing, detecting and correcting noncompliance with applicable laws and regulations. This position involves planning, organization and execution of day-to-day operational compliance activities. Additionally, this individual will help maintain a strong compliance framework for a growing team.
The Compliance Lead reports directly to the Head of Compliance.
Your regular tasks include:
- Conducting and overseeing internal reviews periodically to ensure that compliance procedures are followed
- Conducting or directing the internal investigation of compliance issues
- Evaluating business activities to evaluate or assess compliance risk
- Coming up with effective plans to manage crisis or compliance violation
- Working cooperatively with external auditors when needed
- Working proactively with bank partners and the regulator, where applicable and ensure Wave keeps good relationships with them
- Preparing appropriate compliance reports with regulatory agencies
- Discussing arising compliance issues with management or employees
- Periodically revising the compliance plan in light of changes
- Overseeing and monitoring the implementation of the compliance program
- Providing guidance, advice, and/or training and educational programs, to improve business’ understanding of related laws and regulatory requirements
- Ensuring and verifying that all regulatory policies and procedures have been documented, implemented, and communicated
- Location is primarily based in Dakar
- Work authorization in Senegal required
- Fluent in English, French and Wolof
- Minimum of 5 years experience in Compliance or risk management
- A secondary degree in Finance, Accounting, Risk Management, Business & Economics, or comparable field
- Strong management skills
You might be a good fit if you
- Have excellent analytical skills and a taste for in-depth technical investigation and good organization
- Have a strong track record of collaborating and partnering with cross-functional teams
- Have already successfully met and exceeded fraud prevention and claims avoidance objectives in a high-risk business
- Excellent interpersonal skills which enable to work effectively with all department members, and also to collaborate with external parties when required
- Good verbal and written communication skills to inform and educate employees, and also to file correct and accurate compliance reports with regulating agencies
- Must be able to provide compliance guidance that balances regulatory requirements, risk mitigation and business objectives.
- Sound knowledge of legal requirements and controls such as Anti-Money Laundering
- We have a rapidly growing in-country team in Senegal, Côte D’Ivoire, Mali and Uganda, plus remote team members spread across the world. We’re deeply passionate about our mission of bringing radically affordable financial services to the people who need them most.
- We foster autonomy for our employees. You’ll own your own projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Sequoia, Stripe, Founders Fund, Ribbit Capital, Y Combinator, and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
- Fill out the form below, and upload a resume plus a cover letter, both written in English, describing your interest in Wave and the role. We review applications on a rolling basis.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Closing date : 8 December 2021.Postuler