Wave recruits 01 Legal Associate
We’re making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, nearly 60% of adults in sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That’s for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We’re solving this problem by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don’t always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. In August 2019, we expanded to Cote d’Ivoire. Now, we’re enabling millions of payments a month and expanding across the continent. And that’s where you come in…
How you’ll help the Legal Department
The Legal Associate will be part of the Wave Mobile Money Legal and Risk Department.
Wave Mobile Money Legal Team is in charge of:
- Ensuring compliance of the whole company’s activity with local and international regulations
- Helping other Departments in their projects’ implementation whenever a legal approach is needed and advising them in accordance with national and international regulations;
- Establishing or reviewing all the contracts signed by the Company;
- Securing the relations of the company with all the regulatory authorities by ensuring that the company is up to date with its administrative obligations;
- Helping in the management of the agents network and the legal implementation of the changes in our business model;
- Working closely with the Finance team for the recovery of the missing cash;
- Helping the People team for all the questions related to labor laws and employees’ contracts;
- Working with the lawyers of the company for the management of the litigations;
- Working with all the other legal services’ external providers (notary, bailiff…);
- Drafting or registering all the documents related to the relations of the company with its parent company and affiliated companies;
- Ensuring the Legal secretary (assistance in drafting decisions of shareholder, their registration and publication);
- Developing an in-house legal culture.
In this role, you will, under the supervision of the Head of Legal, be in charge of:
- Helping in the review of all the contracts or legal documents to ensure adequacy with company’s interests and protection, and alignment with the regulation;
- Helping in drafting contracts’ templates for the company’s new products/services or projects;
- Helping in providing legal advices for questions related to the regulation applicable to the company’s activity (specific regulation related to E-money, commercial regulation, labor law; civil and penal law etc…)
- Working hand in hand with the Recovery team for filling the recovery cases and do the follow-up with lawyers;
- Working with the Head of Legal to prepare the defense of the company in case of litigation for claims;
- Setting up a legal watch for the company’s activity;
- Electronic and physical archiving of the all the legal documents;
- Legal secretary
- Location is primarily in Dakar with short-term relocation possible within country
- Work authorization in Senegal required
- Open ended contract with a trial period of 3 month renewable where needed
- Secondary degree education in law
- At least 5 years’ experience with a consulting and audit firm, mobile money company, bank, micro-finance company;
- Well organized, detail-oriented with accurate, clear legal approach;
- Very good writing skills and excellent listening and communication skills ;
- Very Good level to fluent in English;
- Native speaker or Fluent in French.
Preferable aptitudes and qualities
- You are able to efficiently and quickly apply the instructions given to you by your lead and identify problems or blocking points to be reported;
- You like team work, but you also know how to work well independently when needed;
- You are at ease in drafting/reviewing contracts in French/English;
- Demonstrate tenacity and a willingness to go the distance to get something done;
- You are analytical in your approach to problems;
- You are detail oriented and seek to achieve excellence in everything you do.
- We’re a team of 300+ Senegalese, 100+ Ivorian and 60+ remote people who are deeply passionate about our mission of bringing great financial services to the people who need them most.
- We foster autonomy for our employees. You’ll learn to own your own projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Khosla Ventures, Founders Fund, Y Combinator, and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
Fill out the form below, and upload a resume plus a cover letter describing your interest in Wave and the role. We review applications on a rolling basis.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Pour postuler à ce poste veuillez visiter www.wave.com