UNOWAS recruits 01 Procurement Assistant
The United Nations Office for West Africa and the Sahel (UNOWAS) is looking for a highly motivated and results oriented team player to join a dynamic team.
- To serve as: Procurement Assistant
- Title Position Procurement Assistant
- Number of posts 01
- Type of contract Fixed Term
- Duration of contract One (01) year renewable subject to mandate and post extension
- Category and level GL5
- Duty station Dakar, Senegal
- Unit/Section Procurement Unit
- Issuing date 17/06/2021
- Closing date 26/06/2021
The United Nations Office for West Africa and the Sahel (UNOWAS) is entrusted with the overall mandate of enhancing the contributions of the UN towards the achievement of peace and security in West Africa and the Sahel. It engages in preventive diplomacy, good offices and political mediation and facilitation in countries in West Africa and the Sahel.
Organizational Setting: The position is located in the Office of the Chief of Mission Support (CMS) of the United Nations Office for West Africa and the Sahel (UNOWAS); The Procurement Assistant will provide services to UNOWAS, the Cameroon Nigeria Mixed Commission (CNMC) in Dakar, Senegal, Yaoundé, Cameroon and Calabar in Nigeria, the UNOWAS Liaison cell Office in Nouakchott, Mauritania, and in Abuja, Nigeria.
Functional Responsibilities: Under the overall supervision of the Procurement Officer, the Procurement Assistant will perform the following functions:
- Provides procurement, logistical and administrative support to the Procurement Officer in the acquisition of a wide variety of goods and services;
- Reviews, records and prioritizes purchasing requests and obtains additional information/document as required, determines the availability of the vendors and funding sources;
- Monitors status of existing requisitions, maintains contact with suppliers to ensure timely delivery of goods and services, coordinates shipment of goods/commodities/equipment to UNOWAS and CNMC offices, verifies receipt and inspection of deliverables and accurately reports as and if required;
- Produces tender documents (Invitations to Bid, Requests for proposals and Requests for Quotation) based on the nature of requirements and cost of procurement involved;
- Prepares abstracts of offers and compiles data contained in quotations, proposal and bids to determine which supplier can deliver the required goods/services at the best terms and lowest costs possible under the guidance of the Procurement Officer;
- Finalizes Purchase Orders and Contracts for review by the Procurement Officer, and if required, prepares submission to the Contracts Committee for review and subsequent approval by the authorized official;
- Assists the Procurement Officer in more complex, higher value purchasing operations; assists in the coordination and distribution of pertinent documents to concerned parties, ensures appropriate follow-up action, etc.;
- Assists the Procurement Officer in the monitoring of the contract expiry dates on a quarterly basis and the management of the Security performance Bond;
- Maintains relevant internal databases and files; keeps track of any contractual agreements, systems contracts etc. and informs affected users of contractual rights and obligations;
- Researches, retrieves and presents information from a variety of internal and external sources of supply, vendors by commodity, etc., as well as obtain specifications for new products and equipment on the market;
- Drafts routine correspondence ;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Professionalism: Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
- Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals. Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position. Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Education: High school diploma or equivalent; Certificate of Procurement or Contract Management, and financial management or other related field is required. A vocational diploma with relevant combination of technical training will be accepted in lieu of high school diploma.
- Experience: A minimum of Five years of experience in Procurement, Administrative Services, or
- Language: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat.
- Fluency in English and French (both oral and written) is required.
- Others: Knowledge of enterprise resource planning (ERP) including sound understanding of the systems associated with these procedures (IPSAS) is an asset.
Applicants meeting the above qualifications are requested to submit the following only:
- Cover letter
- Completed and signed P-11 form (please note the P11- Form is available on the UNOWAS Website at www.unowas.unmissions.org )
- Copy of Diplomas and Degrees
Applications should be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 26 June 2021.
Note: Please indicate clearly the vacancy number and title in the email subject. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Candidates who applied to previously advertised VA (UNOWAS/HRS/VA/011/21) do not need to re-apply to this VA as their applications would be considered for this VA.
Evaluation of qualified candidates for this position may include a written assessment followed by a
Closing date: 26 June 2021.
Pour postuler, envoyez votre CV et votre lettre de motivation par e-mail à email@example.com