United Nations Regional Course in International Law for Africa 2018 (Fully-funded)
Deadline: October 20, 2017
Applications for the 2018 Regional Course for Africa are currently being accepted. The Regional Courses provide high-quality training by leading scholars and practitioners on a broad range of core subjects of international law, as well as specific subjects of particular interest to the countries in a given region. In addition, the interactive nature of the training allows the participants to share experiences and exchange ideas, which promotes greater understanding and cooperation on legal matters in the region.
The Regional Courses are intended to enable qualified professionals, in particular government officials and teachers of international law from developing countries and countries with emerging economies, to deepen their knowledge of international law and of the legal work of the United Nations and its associated bodies.
The 2018 United Nations Regional Course in International Law for Africa is organized by the Codification Division of the United Nations Office of Legal Affairs in cooperation with Ethiopia, the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (ECA) and the African Union. The Regional Course will be held at the facilities of the ECA in Addis Ababa, from February 5 to March 2, 2018. The Regional Course will be conducted in English. The course will accommodate up to 35 participants.
- The fellowships cover the fellows travel in economy class, accommodation, meals, medical insurance, participation in the Regional Course and the training materials. In accordance with the policies and procedures governing the administration of United Nations fellowships, participants will also receive a stipend to cover other living expenses;
- Qualified candidates may also apply for self-funded positions. Self-funded participants bear all costs associated with their participation (travel, accommodation and living expenses). Training materials and lunches during the weekdays are provided to all participants.
- Open to candidates from the following countries: Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cabo Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo, Côte d’Ivoire, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Djibouti, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, São Tomé and Príncipe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Swaziland, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe;
- Candidates must have a legal background with professional experience in the field of international law. The selected participants are required to submit a medical certificate of good health and to certify that they are able to attend the entire course period;
- The Course will be conducted in English. Fluency in spoken and written English is required;
- Applications from female candidates are strongly encouraged.
When selecting participants for the Regional Courses, due consideration is given to the candidates’ qualifications, to the scope of their professional duties, to the relevance of the training to their professional duties and to gender balance.
- Interested applicants are required to complete the application form;
- Two versions of the application form must be submitted:
- One scanned copy of the signed original (for example in pdf, tif, or jpg)
- One electronic MS Word version (or equivalent) of the application.
Completed applications should be sent by email no later than October 20, 2017 to firstname.lastname@example.org