United Nations Alliance of Civilizations (UNAOC) Fellowship Programme 2020 (Fully-funded)
Deadline: March 8, 2020
Application for the United Nations Alliance of Civilizations (UNAOC) Fellowship Programme 2020 is now open. The Call is open to participants between 25 to 35 years old, from the Middle East, North Africa, Europe and North America, with a strong interest in intercultural exchanges. The theme of the Fellowship 2020 is “Building peace in the age of new media”.
In its Action Plan for 2019-2023, UNAOC acknowledges that traditional and new media play a crucial role in influencing public perception, narratives, and attitudes and therefore hold the potential to bridge cultural divides. The 2020 UNAOC Fellowship also aims to contribute to the global conversation launched by the UN for it 75th anniversary.
To be selected, candidates must be able to present professional achievements in the fields of media, social media and peacebuilding, with knowledge of the UN system. The Call will lead to the selection of a group of young leaders from Europe, North-America (EUNA) on one end, and a group of young leaders from the Middle East and North-Africa (MENA) on the other end. Participants from each geographic area will travel to their counterparts’ region for two weeks.
The goal of the Fellowship is to challenge perceptions and deconstruct stereotypes by providing participants with first hand exposure to cultural diversity. In every country they visit, UNAOC Fellows will interact with a wide range of local stakeholders. While exploring opportunities for intercultural collaboration, Fellows will also discuss and exchange ideas on how to use media and information technology to support the global community and international organizations in their work toward sustainable peace and conflict prevention.
Applicants must be:
- Born between January 1, 1985 and December 31, 1995
- Fluent in English
- Working directly in the fields of media and/or peacebuilding, with strong social media proficiency and strong knowledge of the UN and its global agenda.
- In possession of a passport valid at least 3 months beyond July 2020 (October 1st 2020 and beyond)
- Must not have participated in any of UNAOC programmes before.
- EUNA Candidates must be nationals from the United States, Canada, or a country member of the Council of Europe (plus Belarus)
- MENA Candidates must be nationals from Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, Iraq, Iran, Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, State of Palestine, Syria, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates, or Yemen.
The jury will also make sure that the final selection is:
- Gender balanced
- Region balanced between participants from North America, Europe, North Africa and the Middle East
- Limited to two participants per country
- Professionally balanced with no more than a third of participants working in the same sector or industry.