UNICEF recrute 01 Knowledge and Innovation Exchange (KIX) Hub Project Contractor
Humanitaire (ONG, Associations, …), Projet/programme de développement
Consultancy: Knowledge and Innovation Exchange (KIX) Hub Project Contractor
Job no: 539697Contract type: ConsultancyLevel: ConsultancyLocation: KenyaCategories: Education
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
TERMS OF REFERENCE
Background and JustificationThe UNICEF Eastern and Southern African Regional Office’s (ESARO) Education section provide support to the 21 countries in the region in the development of evidence-based policy guidance to strengthen capability to generate evidence, enhance knowledge generation and exchange to inform policies and services for children and adolescents. The section is guided by the vision in the UNICEF Strategic Plan (2018-2030), Goal 2 “Every child learns”, and UNICEF Eastern and Southern Africa Regional Priorities (2018-2021) “Quality education and Learning” to support the 21 Country Offices (COs) to promote basic education including early childhood education (ECE), education quality, adolescent learning and education in emergencies, as well as the inclusion of children with disabilities in education. UNICEF provides these supports through quality assurance and oversight, data management and analysis, direct technical support, as well as partnership building.
As part of these efforts, UNICEF ESARO, jointly with UNESCO’s International Institute for Capacity Building in Africa (UNESCO – IICBA) and the Africa Union Commission (AUC), responded to a call for expressions of interest launched by the Global Partnership for Education (GPE) in 2019 to select regional learning partners for its Knowledge and Innovation Exchange (KIX) initiative. The proposal submitted was approved with a total budget of 2.5 million US dollars for the implementation of the Hub activities.
A total of 19 countries (Developing Country Partners – DCPs) are covered in Anglophone Africa, including:• For Eastern and Southern Africa Region (ESAR): Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Somalia, South Sudan, Uganda, Tanzania, Lesotho, Malawi, Zambia, Zimbabwe and Mozambique
• For Middle East and North Africa Region (MENAR): Sudan
• For Western and Central Africa Region (WCAR): Ghana, The Gambia, Liberia, Nigeria, Sierra Leone
The hub aims at collecting, generating, exchanging and facilitating effective use of evidence-based data, knowledge and innovation for education policy formulation and implementation among the 19 Anglophone African countries in the six following thematic areas (including three key thematic areas that UNICEF is leading):
Following the launch of the hub, the roles and responsibilities sharing between the consortium partners (UNICEF-ESARO, UNESCO-IICBA and AUC), and the number of preliminary works engaged, UNICEF ESARO education section developed multi years’ work plan under the KIX project to support the co-implementation of the activities. To move ahead with the implementation of the work plan, UNICEF ESARO education section would like to hire a contractor to support the management and the implementation of the activities, with a focus on the key thematic areas that fall into the scope of UNICEF.
Scope of Work
1) Purpose of assignmentThe purpose of this contractor is to support the management and the implementation of the multi years’ work plan developed for Education Knowledge and Innovation Exchange (KIX) Hub for Anglophone Africa region, with a focus on the key thematic areas that fall into the scope of UNICEF, including:
1. Strengthening early childhood education (ECCE)2. Achieving gender equality in and through education3. Inclusivity and Leaving no one behind
Under the overall guidance and direction of the Regional Education Adviser (REA) and the direct supervision of ESARO Education Specialist in charge of RBM & Data, the contractor will work closely with the KIX project team in the consortium partners (UNICEF-ESARO, UNESCO-IICBA and AUC) and other relevant partners and counterpart to provide operational leadership and relevant technical expertise and assistance to manage and implement the activities.
2) TA details/reference to AWP areas covered• Support to GPE KIX Grant: 1/- Develop and maintain KIX 19 Africa knowledge hub for education, aiming to collect, generate, exchange and facilitate effective use of evidence-based data, knowledge and innovation for education policy formulation and implementation
3) Major assignments/responsibilities: The contractor will be responsible for the following key functions, accountabilities and duties:1. Support generating and sharing knowledge, evidence and innovation according to countries priority needs in the thematic areas led by UNICEF
1.1 Conduct gap analysis of existing innovations, trends, country, regional and global evidence in relation to countries priorities in the UNICEF key thematic areas1.2 Develop, compile and share relevant knowledge, research, evaluations and innovations according to countries priorities in the UNICEF key thematic areas1.3 Provide relevant technical advice and expertise on Policy design, analysis and implementation around thematic areas led by UNICEF, including (but not limited to) ECCE, inclusive education, Gender mainstreaming and auditing including school-based gender violence, implementation of Gender-responsive pedagogy (GRP) in schools and advancing equity and inclusivity in education
2. Engaging countries to strengthen national education systems through participation in the hub2.1 Conduct virtual or face to face meetings with all the UNICEF COs of the 19 DCPs to support countries engagement and implementation of KIX Hub thematic areas2.2 Conceptualize, plan and co-lead workshops and other technical and/or capacity building activities (as relevant) in selected countries;2.3 Engage country partners to strengthen national education systems through participation in the KIX hub2.4 Conduct virtual or face to face meetings with UNICEF COs, DCPs and the national LEG members to create awareness on KIX hub activities to inform national policy dialogues according to DCPs priorities in the key thematic areas2.5 Coordinate and facilitate technical support to the countries
3 Strengthening the capacity of country partners to generate information and research, translate policies into practice, and develop innovative strategies to accelerate education progress3.1 Set a regionally specific knowledge and innovation agenda that informs knowledge generation and sharing activities, analysis, and use of data and evidence in policy dialogue and formulation3.2 Support, coordinate and actively participate in knowledge exchange and peer learning among countries involved in the KIX project (19 GPE countries) and with other countries and partners3.3 Develop training contents as per the identified DCPs priorities and support capacity needs identification for the key thematic areas that fall into the scope of UNICEF3.4 Institutional capacity development of DCPs according to their priorities and capacity strengthening needs in the key thematic areas that fall into the scope of UNICEF as per the agreement (relying on the training providers and training contents)3.5 Support country teams with the development of analytical and results reports and case studies, focusing on progress of activities, key achievements and lessons learned
4 Generate ad-hoc reports as per the Education section need and donor reports adhering to the KIX project report requirements
5 Provide any other relevant support in line the management and the implement of the KIX Hub project that may be required from the ESARO Education section
4) Work relationships/Reporting to:The supervisor of this contractor will be Beifith KOUAK TIYAB and the contractor will work with all members of the ESARO Education section and KIX hub teams
5) Output and Payment schedule:
The Individual Contractor is expected to produce the outputs and be paid according to the table below:
|Monthly progress report which includes details on:The progress in the implementation of UNICEF’s part of KIX-Hub workplanThe support on the knowledge/evidence/innovation generation and sharing, according to countries needs in the thematic areas led by UNICEFThe support in strengthening the capacity of countries to use the knowledge/evidence/innovation generated and translate policies into practice.The development of any ad-hoc reports as per the Education section need and donor reports adhering to the KIX project report requirements||Monthly payment-Payment 1||31st May 2021|
|Monthly progress report which includes details on:The progress in the implementation of UNICEF’s part of KIX-Hub workplanThe support on the knowledge/evidence/innovation generation and sharing, according to countries needs in the thematic areas led by UNICEFThe support in strengthening the capacity of countries to use the knowledge/evidence/innovation generated and translate policies into practice.The development of any ad-hoc reports as per the Education section need and donor reports adhering to the KIX project report requirements||Monthly payment-Payment 2||30th June 2021|
|Monthly progress report which includes details on:The progress in the implementation of UNICEF’s part of KIX-Hub workplanThe support on the knowledge/evidence/innovation generation and sharing, according to countries needs in the thematic areas led by UNICEFThe support in strengthening the capacity of countries to use the knowledge/evidence/innovation generated and translate policies into practice.The development of any ad-hoc reports as per the Education section need and donor reports adhering to the KIX project report requirements||Monthly payment-Payment 3||31st July 2021|
|Monthly payment-Payment 4||31st August 2021|
|Monthly payment-Payment 5||30th September 2021|
|Monthly payment-Payment 6||31st October 2021|
|Monthly payment-Payment 7||30th November 2021|
|Monthly payment-Payment 8||31st December 2021|
|Monthly payment-Payment 9||31st January 2022|
|Monthly payment-Payment 10||28th February 2022|
|Monthly payment-Payment 11||31st March 2022|
Desired Competencies, technical background and experience
Required• Advanced university degree in social sciences and/or international development, education, international education or human development or another relevant technical field.
• A minimum of 8 years of professional experience at the national and/or international levels in education programme planning, management, monitoring, and evaluation.• Extensive practical experience in knowledge generating and knowledge sharing strategies• Proven experience in dealing with the key thematic areas led by UNICEF in KIX Hub project, including Early Childhood Education, Gender Equality in Education, and Equity & inclusion (leaving no one behind).• Ability to work independently as well as part of a team• Excellent analytical, communication, writing skills in English language.
Desired• Experience working in a developing country context and awareness of key partnerships and processes at the national level
• knowledge of the global development context, education systems, and education sector analysis and planning• Experience in and knowledge of UNICEF’s activities at the country and regional levels in education• ability to conceptualize, plan and execute ideas as well as transfer knowledge and skills• Experience in data management and analysis and in supporting data utilization for equitable education systems programming, management and implementation• Working experience in a UN system agency or organization.• Knowledge of French would be considered as an asset
Requirements• Any emergent / unforeseen duty travel and related expenses will be covered by UNICEF.
• At the time the contract is awarded, the selected candidate must have in place current health insurance coverage• Payment of professional fees will be based on submission of agreed satisfactory deliverables. UNICEF reserves the right to withhold payment in case the deliverables submitted are not up to the required standard or in case of delays in submitting the deliverables on the part of the contractor
Administrative IssuesThe assignment will be supervised by the Education Specialist (Data and RBM) in the Eastern and Southern Africa Regional Office, Education Section. The contractor will undertake missions to selected countries, if required, to provide technical support. UNICEF will cover travel cost.
The contractor is expected to be based at the duty station (Nairobi, Kenya) with potential travel in ESAR depending on COVID-19 travel restrictions in 2021 for which the UNICEF office would cover DSA and travel costs. Travel will be in economy class. If the Contractor is required to quarantine while traveling, UNICEF will pay for the quarantine if not organized by the host country.
ConditionsAs per UNICEF DFAM policy, payment is made against approved deliverables. No advance payment is allowed unless in exceptional circumstances against bank guarantee, subject to a maximum of 30 per cent of the total contract value in cases where advance purchases, for example for supplies or travel, may be necessary.
The candidate selected will be governed by and subject to UNICEF’s General Terms and Conditions for individual contracts.
How to ApplyInterested candidates should apply online using the button below. As part of their application, candidates should provide:
A cover letter that specifies how you meet the desired competencies, technical background and experience (no more than 2 pages)A short CV (no more than 4 pages)A financial proposal that should include a lump sum monthly fees/rate in USD and total feeUNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
Deadline: 29 Apr 2021 E. Africa Standard TimePOSTULER