UNICEF recruits 01 National EPI C4D Consultancy Mid-Level consultant « Open to South Sudanese only »
Juba, South Sudan
Humanitaire (ONG, Associations, …), Projet/programme de développement
National EPI C4D Consultancy Mid-Level consultant( Open to South Sudanese only)
Job Number: 529638 | Vacancy Link
Locations: Africa: South Sudan
Work Type : Consultancy
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, a champion
Terms of Reference
Title EPI C4D Consultant : Type of Contract Individual Contractor—National Consultant
Supervision Chief, Communication for Development
Level Mid-level (National)
Duration 6 months
Start Date Immediate
Background/Rationale for the Assignment
Since the country’s independence in 2012, the protracted conflict in South Sudan has left the country’s nascent health system fragile and unable to address the growing and diverse needs of its population, including that of women and children. This conflict coupled with the countries have limited infrastructure, rendered the few and interspersed health facilities inaccessible to most of the population, including nearly 2 million internally displaced persons (IDPs). This situation is exacerbated during the six-month rainy season and a severe lack of human resources for health (qualified health care workers). Thus, the country has not been able to meet maternal, new-born and child health (MNCH) care needs, including those related to immunization. Nationally, according to administrative data, routine immunization coverage is low, with only 56 percent of children aged under 1 being reported as having received the Penta3 vaccination (January to December 2018). Moreover, only 40 of 80 counties have attained Penta3 coverage of over 50 percent of concern, the national EPI survey undertaken in 2017 found that the proportion of fully immunized children (by card) was only 18.9 percent.
As part of its commitment for quality programme delivery, UNICEF South Sudan seeks to further scale up people-centered behaviour and social change strategy to shape positive child caring social norms, increase demand for social services, enhance service quality and accountability by building strong dialogue, partnership and confidence with the communities. Specifically, UNICEF would like C4D officer who will provide support in the promotion of routine immunization programme and in particular the GAVI supported initiatives.
The Communications for Development (C4D) officer reports to the Chief C4D, for general guidance and direction. The C4D officer will responsible for developing a systematic, planned and evidence-based strategy and process for C4D as an integral part of program development, planning and implementation to promote measurable behavioural and social change through communication, engagement, empowerment and participation of stakeholders, partners , local influencers, communities and civil society to achieve successful and sustainable concrete programme results on children’s rights, survival and wellbeing in the country.
• Further, and in close coordination with the partners in immunization activities, and child health program, the consultant will provide dedicated support to Extended Programme on Immunization (EPI) activities in national office based in Juba and in all field offices in South Sudan with emphasis in implementation all C4D related with EPI inclusion of GAVI project and, to achieve successful demand promotion results in increased uptake for routine immunization to build higher immunity against the preventable diseases. The consultant will be also responsible for actively ensure integration of Immunisation with other programme and supporting advocacy, communication and technical working group.
• The C4D officer will work closely with the Director Health education and promotion and EPI manager and Director general primary health care in health ministry to ensure key priorities of the section include improving the quality of the C4D activities for the EPI programs
Qualifications and Competencies
• Bachelor’s degree in the social/behavioural sciences (Sociology, Anthropology, Psychology, and Health Education) with emphasis on strategic communication planning for behaviour development, social mobilization, participatory communication and research.
• Minimum 3 years of relevant professional work experience in the planning and management of social mobilization and communication specially on EPI program
• Fluency in spoken and written English.
• Computer skills, including internet navigation, and various office applications.
• Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
The consultancy duration consists of a total of six months 1 March 2020 to 31 August 2020. The payment will be made monthly upon submission of a report on the status update on the work carried out, based on the indicative deliverables.
1. Implementation C4D activities of GAVI FER project in selected locations
2. Active participation in bi-weekly national EPI national technical working group meeting and other forums and ensure to represent C4D aspects to the forum
3. Ensure the all EPI community engagement activities will take place in field through ICMN network
4. Closely work with all states C4D officer to plan and conduct evidence-based community engagement activities for routine immunization Monthly for the duration of contract
1 March- 31 August 2020
5. Develop three states EPI communication plan (Greater Equatoria) based on national EPI demand promotion strategy
6. Closely work with C4D measles consultant on implementation of Community engagement activities for national Integrated
Measles follow up campaign
15 March- 30 April 2020
7. Develop four states EPI communication plan (Greater Bahar-e-Gazal) based on national EPI demand promotion strategy
8. Closely work with SIA coordinator and C4D specialist for implementation of necessary communication activities in 2polio SIAs (1 each NID and SNID)
1 May- 15 June 2020
1. Develop Three states EPI communication plan (Greater Upper Nile) based on national EPI demand promotion strategy
2. Closely work with SIA coordinator and C4D specialist for implementation of necessary communication activities in 2polio SIAs (1 each NID and SNID) 15 June to 15 July 2020
Estimated Duration of the Contract
The estimated duration of the contract is 6 months, with potential travel to field locations.
Duty Station and Official Travel
The consultant will be based in Juba with frequent travel to the field.
Estimated Cost of the Consultancy.
Please submit a detailed financial and technical proposal as per the deliverable
The consultant will be supervised by the Chief of Communication for Development
• All UNICEF rules and regulations related to travel of Consultants/ Individual Contractors apply.
• All travels shall be undertaken only upon the prior written approval by UNICEF.
• The consultant will liaise with the Programme Assistant and supervisor to arrange and organize field travel. UNICEF will cover the cost of travel in the country.
• UNICEF will pay the applicable DSA rate and other travel related expenses upon submission of the invoice together with the supporting documentation.
Nature of Penalty Clause in Contract
If the final reports and documents are not submitted according to the deliverables stated in this TOR, the payments will be withheld. UNICEF reserves the right to withhold all or a portion of payment if performance is unsatisfactory, if work/outputs is incomplete, not delivered or for failure to meet deadlines (fees reduced due to late submission: 20 days – 10%; 1 month -20%; 2 months -30%; more 2 months – payment withhold). All materials developed will remain the copyright of UNICEF and UNICEF will be free to adapt and modify them in the future. Payment will be made monthly only after submission of reports.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The functional competencies required for this post are…
View our competency framework at http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/files/UNICEF_Competencies.pdf
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Mobility is a condition of international professional employment with UNICEF and an underlying premise of the international civil service.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Closing Date Fri Feb 14 2020 21:55:00 GMT+0100 (Afr. centrale Ouest)