UNICEF recruits 01 Driver, GS-2
Job no: 522354
Work type: Temporary Appointment
Categories: Finance and Administration, G-2
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, www.unicef.org
Sudan, surrounded by the Central African Republic, Chad, Egypt, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Libya and South Sudan, positioned next to East, West, South and North Africa, is surrounded by complex conflicts in an unpredictable, volatile and rapidly evolving region. Sudan is by size the third biggest country in Africa, with a diverse population of around 42 million people. Sudan’s children make up half of the total population, and the past two decades have seen their lives significantly improve: fewer girls and boys are dying before their fifth birthday, primary school attendance is increasing, immunization coverage is high and the country remains polio free. Still, millions of children continue to suffer from protracted conflict in Darfur, the Kordofans, and Blue Nile, from seasonal natural disasters, malnutrition and disease outbreaks, and from under-investment in basic social services. More than three million of Sudan’s school aged children are not in the classroom. UNICEF has been in Sudan since 1952 and continues with a presence in 12 of Sudan’s 18 states.
How can you make a difference?
Purpose of post
Drives office vehicles for the transport of authorized personnel and delivery and collection of mail, documents and other items.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Drives office vehicles for the transport of authorized personnel and delivery and collection of mail, documents and other items.
- Meets official personnel at the airport and drive to Office.
- Ensures vehicle is kept in good running condition at all times through addressing minor repairs.
- Responsible for the day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle, checks oil, water, battery, brakes, tires, etc., performs minor repairs and arranges for other repairs. Ensures that the vehicle is kept clean.
- Ensures availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance,
- vehicle registration, vehicle logs, office directory, map of the city/country, first aid kit, and
- necessary spare parts in the assigned vehicle; keeps track of insurance and other tax
- Logs official trips, daily mileage, gas consumption, oil changes, greasing, etc.
- Ensures that the steps required by rules and regulations are taken, in case of involvement in an accident.
- Performs other duties, as required
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- A secondary education is required, along with a valid driver’s license and knowledge of local driving rules and regulations.
- A minimum of two years of relevant professional experience
- as a driver in an international organization, embassy or UN system with a safe driving record is required.
- Experience in conflict and/or post conflict emergency response
- Fluency of the local language of the duty station as well as proficiency in English is required
- For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The competencies required for this post are….
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
Advertised: E. Africa Standard Time
Applications close: E. Africa Standard Time