UNICEF Innovate is offering Software
Development Internship in New York
Deadline: November 19, 2017
UNICEF Innovate is offering open source Software Development Internships with stipend. For 70 years, UNICEF has been innovating for children. Innovations support the organization’s 135+ country offices in finding solutions for the world’s most vulnerable children.
The UNICEF innovation work includes both policy and practice of innovation in UNICEF, and the larger UN. Innovation in UNICEF is defined as “doing something new or different that adds value. UNICEF is engaged in testing and scaling up new partnerships, technologies, and collaborations in some of the world’s most difficult operating environments.
LOCATION: New York (optional remotely) DURATION: between (minimum) 3 and (ideally) 6 months; Part-time internships can be considered, if the student needs to attend some courses.
Scope of Work
You will contribute to Magic Box, an open-source platform intended to use real-time information to inform life-saving humanitarian responses to emergency situations. It’s composed of multiple github repositories designed to ingest, aggregate, and serve data, as well as generate insights based on formulas and algorithms provided by the data science team.
- Create pipelines to ingest and combine new datasets. Datasets can be open or provided by private sector partners and represent mobility, behavior and weather.
- Add new endpoints to an API that serves the data
- Prototype web based UIs to feature the data.
- Public github repositories with test coverage and pre-commit hooks to run tests and lint.
Cost and Benefits
- Interns must fund themselves for their travel to the duty station, their accomodation and living expenses at the duty station during the internship. A monthly stipend will be paid by UNICEF, unless interns already receive stipends from other sources.
- UNICEF accepts no responsibility for the medical insurance of the intern or cost arising from accidents and illness incurred during the internship. Interns have to demonstrate a proof of medical and accidental death insurance prior to the beginning of work.
- Interns are personally responsible for obtaining necessary visa covering the entire period of their internship.
- Intern is expected to provide his/her own laptop and if working remotely intern must have access to internet connection
- Be enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate degree programme in computer science, or have graduated within the past two years.
- Excellent academic performance, as demonstrated by academic records.
- Demonstrated interest in Innovation and Technology for development.
- Experience in some of the following:
o react + redux
o mocha / spec
o bootstrap or material design lite
- Fluency in English, knowledge of another official UN language is an asset.
Visit https://www.unicef.org/about/employ/?job=508673 *Posting and application portal for this job on unicef.org can only be accessed during the application period
For more information, visit UNICEF Innovate Software Development Internship.