UNFPA recruits 01 Regional Director
There is no expectancy of renewal in accordance with UN Staff Regulations 4.5.
This post is subject to a maximum term limit. The term limit applicable to this post is currently 5 years.
The post of Director, Regional Office, is located in the West and Central Africa UNFPA Regional Office (WCARO), and reports directly to the Deputy Executive Director for Programme. The Director is a member of the Executive Committee, provides overall strategic vision, direction and leadership in the Region, and serves as the senior adviser within the Fund on all matters related to the Region.
S/he supervises the Regional Office, Sub-regional offices (as relevant), as well as the Country Representatives in the region.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s strategic plan (2022-2025), reaffirms the relevance of the current strategic direction of UNFPA and focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices. These results capture our strategic commitments on accelerating progress towards realizing the International Conference on Population and Development programme of action and Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in the Decade of Action leading up to 2030. Our strategic plan calls upon UN Member States, organizations and individuals to “build forward better”, while addressing the negative impacts of the Covid-19 pandemic on women’s and girls’ access to sexual and reproductive health and reproductive rights, recover lost gains and realize our goals.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
The Director ensures that the Regional Office fulfills its overall terms of reference through, inter alia; leading the strategic positioning of UNFPA in the region; bringing a regional perspective to bear on all aspects of UNFPA’s work; advocating at the high policy level for political and financial support for the International Conference on Population and Development (ICPD); overseeing policy support and operations to ensure the relevance, quality and effectiveness of integrated programme and technical support in the region; strengthening country offices and United Nations Country Teams (UNCTs) in results-based programming; ensuring rapid and appropriate responses to humanitarian crises; and assuming leadership and accountability for the management of regional operations and resources.
Key activities include
- Strategic direction, planning and management
- Programme support and representation
- Programme oversight and coordination
- Management of resources
In all activities, the Regional Office Director ensures collaboration and coordination among the Regional Office’s business units, Sub-regional and country offices as well as with all Headquarters Divisions, ensuring the timeliness, adequacy, quality and relevance of the work of the Regional Office in increasing the effectiveness and efficiency of UNFPA’s programmes and operations in the Region.
The Director chairs the Regional Management Team and is a member of the Regional Directors’ Team.
You would be responsible for
Strategic direction, planning and management
- Provide continuous feedback and advice to the Office of the Executive Director on political, economic and social trends and perspectives in the region;
- Provide a regional perspective for the formulation and updating of the UNFPA long term vision, strategic plans, and for the policies and strategies which support its operationalization;
- Advance UNFPA’s strategic vision, goals and outcomes in the development of regional and country strategies and programmes and in the monitoring and reporting activities of the Region;
- Provide overall vision, strategic direction and exercise leadership in guiding the work of the Region and of the Regional Office; chair the Regional Management Team to ensure an integrated and coordinated achievement of regional goals and objectives;
- Lead the strategic positioning of UNFPA in the Region, and ensure the Regional Office contribution to the achievement of the UNFPA strategic Plan;
- Identify and promote UNFPA’s comparative advantage and specific contribution in the broad and changing development environment and agenda in the region;
- Lead the development and ensure the implementation of regional strategies, including inter alia for capacity development, technical support delivery and advocacy, information and communication;
- Establish priorities for the work of the Regional Office and direct the development of the Regional Office Work Plan and of the Regional Programme;
- Establish modalities to ensure intra-divisional collaboration and coordination in the work of the Regional Office;
- Establish and maintain working relationships with other Regional Offices and HQ Divisions to ensure inter-divisional collaboration and coordination;
- Establish and oversee processes to ensure that policies and procedures; programming tools and mechanisms; and sound business practices are incorporated into UNFPA country and regional operations;
- Establish and oversee processes to ensure that state-of-the-art knowledge is incorporated into the UNFPA knowledge sharing mechanism is available for use in country and regional operations;
- Direct the process of establishing, building the capacity of, and maintaining partnerships, alliances and networks in the region.
Programme support and representation
- Act as the principal adviser on regional issues to the senior management of UNFPA;
- Ensure that the Regional Office provides high quality, integrated programme and technical support in response to the needs of country offices and country programmes;
- Direct and ensure that the Regional Office provides timely and adequate response and support to countries undergoing humanitarian crises;
- Provide leadership in the integration of the ICPD agenda in SDG / UN programming in the region;
- Represent UNFPA, advocate for the ICPD and provide the Fund’s regional perspective in regional, international, UNSDG and other initiatives and events;
- Participates in high-level policy dialogues in countries, at the regional level, and internationally, as required;
- Supports the Resident Coordinator (RC) system and is an active member of the Regional Directors Team (RDT) promoting inter-agency coordination and consultative processes;
- Initiates opportunities for South-South collaboration, especially for programme and technical support to countries in the region.
- Oversees implementation of the regional and country programmes, ensuring that they reflect country and regional priorities;
- Ensure the application of results-based management and quality assurance frameworks and procedures for the work of the Regional Office and Country Offices;
- Ensure the application of financial and substantive monitoring processes, and the evaluation of programmes in the region;
- Establish and oversee processes for the incorporation of evaluation results in new and updated programme and operational guidance for the region;
- Establish and oversee processes to ensure the Regional Office complies with Audit recommendations;
- Ensure UNFPA accountability for United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (UNSDCF) results.
Management of resources
- Assume overall accountability for the management and work of the Regional Office;
- Propose and secure annual allocations for the Regional Office, the regional programme and country programmes, and ensure the efficient and effective use of such resources in compliance with UNFPA financial rules, regulations, and procedures;
- Direct the formulation and implementation of a resource mobilization strategy for the region, and mobilize, in coordination with
- Division of Communications and Strategic Partnerships (DCS), additional financial resources for the region;
- Develop and guide an integrated and systems approach to the work of the Regional Office;
- Supervise the Deputy Director of the Regional Office, Coordinators of sub-regional teams, Country Representatives, and the Operations Manager, and support and guide them in their work;
- Appraise RC performance; ensure RCs in the region are adequately briefed on UNFPA mandate and organizational strategies and priorities; provide inputs to the Division for Human Resources (DHR) on selection of RC candidates;
- Communicate standards of performance, and assign responsibilities for achieving results according to the Regional Office and sub-regional Office Work Plan and the PAD system;
- Uphold standards for the recruitment and selection of the highest quality of staff for the Regional Office, sub-regional offices and country offices;
- Establish and maintain a harmonious working environment; seek to strengthen team-building by encouraging active participation and interaction at all levels; foster staff motivation, development and empowerment; and lead by example;
- Establish a regional security strategy and plan in line with UN procedures and requirements;
- Ensure an ethics-based approach to management of all human and financial resources; and
- Carry out any other duties as may be required by the Office of the Executive Director.
Qualifications and Experience
Advanced degree (preferably PhD) in Public Health, Medicine, Sociology, Demography, Gender, International Relations, International Development, Economics, Public Administration, Management or other related fields.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Over 15 years of increasingly responsible professional experience in public administration and international development of which 10 years were in the field of population and development at the international level;
- Strong track record of leadership in development programmes;
- Proven ability to lead, develop and motivate a diverse team of programme specialists to achieve demonstrable results;
- Extensive network within the development community;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English;
- Field experience essential.
Fluency in English required; fluency in French highly desirable; and fluency in Spanish or Portuguese an asset.
- Exemplifying integrity;
- Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system;
- Embracing cultural diversity;
- Embracing change.
- Achieving results;
- Being accountable;
- Developing and applying professional expertise/business acumen;
- Thinking analytically and strategically;
- Working in teams/managing ourselves and our relationships;
- Communicating for impact.
- Advocacy/advancing a policy-oriented agenda – influencing the public policy agenda;
- Results-based programme development and management – achieving results through conceptual programme leadership;
- Leveraging resources of national governments and partners, and building strategic alliances and partnerships – creating opportunities through a broadening network of alliances;
- Innovation and marketing of new approaches – creating a culture of innovation;
- Resource mobilization – developing a global and regional strategy; and,
- Job knowledge / technical expertise – external; authority in one’s own discipline.
- Providing strategic focus;
- Global Leadership and advocacy for the ICPD goals;
- Leading, developing and empowering people, creating a culture of performance;
- Promoting organisational learning and knowledge sharing;
- Engaging internal/external partners and stakeholders;
- Creating visibility for the organisation;
- Resource Mobilisation.
Compensations and Benefits:
This position offers an attractive remuneration package including a competitive net salary plus health insurance and other benefits as applicable.
Pour postuler à cette offre, veuillez cliquer sur le lien suivant : estm.fa.em2.oraclecloud.com.
Laisser un Commentaire