UNFPA recruits 01 Programme Specialist, Adolescent and Youth SRHR
- Duty Station : Dakar, Senegal
- Position Type : Fixed-Term Appointment
- Closing Date : 05 November 2020 (5 PM, GMT)
- Duration : One Year (renewable) (*)
The Adolescent & Youth Sexual & Reproductive Health & Rights Specialist works directly in support of UNFPA’s Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights results to the Country Programme. S/he focuses on the special needs of adolescent girls and young people and establishes clear linkages between the realization of SRHR and the empowerment of girls and young people, and ultimately the reaping of the demographic dividend. S/he works in the promotion of human rights of women and girls, with a particular focus on adolescent girls and young people.
The Adolescent & Youth SRHR Specialist supports the review and implementation of the National Policy of Youth, in compliance with Senegal’s international commitments and the UN Security Council Resolution 2250; and the African Union’s Agenda 2063 Roadmap for the demographic dividend. S/he will also collaborate with the entire programme staffs and clusters for specific emergency activities in case of humanitarian context occurrence.
S/he will report directly to the Deputy Representative.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s Strategic Plan 2018-2021, focuses on three transformative results: end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices. In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, UNFPA needs principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are passionate for the Mandate, transparent, accountable, who manage resources with integrity and commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
Like many countries in West Africa, Senegal is striving to tackle the challenges currently faced by the population in sexual and reproductive health and rights. They include (i) fertility rate (4.5), (ii)maternal mortality ratio per 100,000 live birth (236), (iii) contraceptive prevalence rate (25%), (iv) population aged 10-24 (32.1 %), (v) youth secondary enrolment below standards (36% for boys and 39% for girls), (vi) child marriage (32.9% before 18 and 12.0% before 15) and (vii) adolescent birth rate (80/1000).
Adolescents and Youth are at the core of UNFPA’s Vision for a Transformative Agenda. UNFPA works with the government and Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) to ensure access to adolescent-friendly sexual and reproductive health information and services, and age- appropriate comprehensive sexuality and gender equality education. Through Comprehensive Sexual Education (CSE) Programme UNFPA develops a multi-pronged approach to building healthy relationships for promoting positive gender norms and meeting the sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR) needs of adolescents and youth in Senegal as well as other existing / upcoming complementary projects. The Program will break through the taboos around Gender norms and SRHR for adolescents and will focus on respectful, equal, consensual and healthy relationship building.
Under the direct supervision of the RH/FP Specialist, the Adolescent & Youth SRHR Specialist works closely with the Youth Networks across the country and beyond. S/he contributes to the overall goal of Sexual and Reproductive Health and Reproductive Rights in Senegal. S/he is responsible for overall management and coordination of the UNFPA programme on Adolescents and Youth. The Adolescents and Youth programme cuts across UNFPA other programme components of Gender, and Population and Development (P&D). The incumbent is expected to coordinate closely with these units in the Country Office.
You will be responsible for:
A. Programme Management and Coordination
- Take overall responsibility for managing the Adolescent and Youth development programme, including comprehensive sexuality education and overall life-skills;
- Keep abreast with UNFPA global and internationally research and agreed norms, standards and innovations in advancing adolescents and youth development, especially in the field of sexual and reproductive health and rights.
- Scan the fast-changing environment to guide UNFPA positioning in new thematic areas in youth in accordance with UNFPA Youth Policy
- Identify and actively participate in technical discussions from national and international communities of practice;
- Advocate for the UNFPA youth development strategies to be mainstreamed in national development documents so that domestic youth related resources contribute to the UNFPA global results
- Establish and maintain good working relationships with partner agencies and civil society organizations involved in and supporting the adolescent and youth programme;
- Mapping and engaging with stakeholders and potential donors in the field of youth and demographic dividend;
- Coordinate with other UNFPA Programme units ensuring the required synergy and linkage of the different project components to achieve UNFPA Country Programme
- Ensure the timely development and implementation of evidence and results-based annual work plans (AWPs) with Implementing Partners of UNFPA;
- Be accountable for financial resources allocated to the Adolescents and Youth
- Programme; carry out budget projections, closely monitor expenditures, conduct regular budget reviews and analyze related financial reports; ensure proper compliance with UNFPA norms and procedures for the utilization of funds;
- Prepare procurement plans where required, with distribution lists of equipment and supplies and make necessary follow-up to facilitate timely and efficient delivery.
B. Technical assistance (TA) coordination and technical backstopping
- Liaise with relevant Government institutions and Implementing Partners to assess, identify technical assistance (TA) needs and facilitate capacity building in close collaboration with UNFPA SRHR / Gender teams as pertinent;
- Identify, document, and disseminate lessons learned and best practices related to UNFPA Senegal’s programming in adolescents and youth;
C. Monitoring, Evaluation, Model building, Scale-up, and Reporting
- Take overall responsibility for monitoring and supervision of the programme planned activities in order to identify best practices as well as constraints / implementation bottlenecks to inform follow-up actions;
- Undertake regular field visits to monitor the quality and timely implementation of program activities, as well as arranges periodic program review with counterparts and other partners;
- Ensures that routine data / information are collected and analyzed with engagement of adolescents and young people;
- Ensures timely and quality reporting requirements both financial and programmatic are met.
D. Supervision and performance management (Project personnel and junior staff)
- Lead the UNFPA Adolescent and Youth Programme and team and ensure high standard of staff management within the team using a participatory style;
- Supervise, mentor and coach team members in order to strengthen or further develop their capacity. This includes the implementation of UNFPA performance management system for his/her direct reports;
- Ensure that regular team meetings take place and are recorded.
E. Carrying out any other relevant activities/responsibilities as assigned by the Representative’s Office
- Documented track record of UNFPA’s performance on strategic and technical issues related to youth and adolescent reproductive health issues
- Enhanced visibility of UNFPA as a trusted partner within the UN system and in the context of international development and humanitarian context to promote social, political and economic action and changes in behaviours, social attitudes, beliefs, harmful social norms and actions by communities, individuals and society.
- Enhanced ability of UNFPA Senegal to fulfil its mission to achieve sustainable, locally owned and concrete results solutions and establish clear linkages between the realization of SRHR and the empowerment of girls and young people, and ultimately the reaping of the demographic dividend.
- Advanced university degree in Public Health, Medicine, Social Sciences or other related fields.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Five (05) years of professional experience in programme/project management;
- Practical experience in ASRHR, gender, and/or adolescent development programmes.
- Demonstrated experience in coordination and liaison with government and civil society counterparts, UN agencies, private sector, development partners and CBOs;
- Proven ability to communicate with, engage and motivate adolescents and young people;
- Solid knowledge on ASRHR and gender, particularly in the context of Senegal, which includes development challenges and underlying socio-cultural factors.
- Excellent understanding of results-based management and human rights-based approach to programme design and management;
- Initiative, strong conceptual and analytical skills, sound judgment, liaison skills, negotiation skills, administrative and management skills, organizational skills, and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent negotiation skills, advocacy and public speaking
- Fluency in French and working knowledge of English are required
Pour postuler à ce poste veuillez visiter erecruit.partneragencies.org.