UNESCO recrute 01 Senior education policy analyst and planner (quality assurance)
Senior education policy analyst and planner (quality assurance).
- Post Number : 6SNIEP0080PA
- Grade : P-4
- Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED)
- Duty Station: Dakar
- Job Family: Education
- Type of contract : Project Appointment
- Duration of contract : 1 year
- Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
- Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 17-DEC-2023
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
Duration of contract: 1 year renewable. Extension of contract is subject to availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
Overview of the functions of the post
The International Institute for Educational Planning (IIEP-UNESCO) is a UNESCO specialized institute with Offices in Buenos Aires, Dakar, and Paris. The mandate of IIEP-UNESCO is to strengthen Member States capacity to plan and manage their education systems. The IIEP-UNESCO Office in Dakar (IIEP-UNESCO Dakar) is renowned for its cutting-edge educational sector analyses and supports African countries in developing realistic and credible education system development plans in support of the Education 2030 agenda, an essential part of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. Through a well-crafted and targeted capacity development approach, IIEP-UNESCO Dakar contributes to diagnostic analyses, sector plans and the development of pedagogical as well as methodological tools. These contribute to more relevant and sustainable educational policies across the African continent, and beyond. IIEP-UNESCO Dakar is also actively involved in knowledge creation for the education sector, not just in Africa but for countries that share similar development profile.
Under the overall authority of the Director of IIEP-UNESCO and the direct supervision of the Head of IIEP-UNESCO Dakar office, the successful candidate will contribute to activities related to analysis, planning, implementation, management, monitoring and evaluation of education and training policies in Africa. He/she will participate in activities conducted in selected countries with other team members from IIEP-UNESCO Dakar and Paris and may be responsible for ensuring the leadership and management of team members assigned to those countries. In addition to these tasks, the successful candidate will in consultation of the head of IIEP-UNESCO Dakar office, lead the internal validation of all major outputs (diagnoses, education strategy documents, pedagogical and methodological tools, etc.) developed by IIEP-UNESCO Dakar’s Technical Cooperation team. He/she will also contribute to the development and delivery of IIEP-UNESCO Dakar’s training programs and to the reinforcement of capacities of IIEP-UNESCO Dakar’s staff.
Duties and responsibilities
More specifically, the incumbent will be assigned the following tasks:
Lead the quality assurance of major outputs developed by IIEP-UNESCO Dakar, especially of the Technical Cooperation team:
- Conduct and/or lead peer review of all policy documents produced from partner countries (sector and thematic analyses, sector plans, methodological guidelines, position papers, policy briefs, etc.).
- Participates in quality assurance of the publication processes for the office’s reports and policy documents.
Support African countries in the development, implementation, and monitoring of education and training policies:
- Support the development of education sector, sub-sector, and thematic diagnoses.
- Support the development of education strategy documents (policy orientation, simulation models, sector plans, medium term expenditure frameworks, costed action plan, etc.).
- Support the implementation of education and training policies.
- Support the monitoring of education and training policies.
Lead and manage policy dialogue in the education and training sectors in selected countries in Africa, in collaboration with all stakeholders:
- Support the policy dialogue, exchange, and coordination in selected countries.
- Support intra-sector and inter-sector policy tradeoffs.
Contribute to the creation, use and dissemination of relevant information in the education and training sectors in Africa:
- Participate in drafting high quality methodological notes, thematic notes, and country notes including presenting those key notes to targeted audience.
- Participate in the design of tools for analysis, planning, implementation, management and monitoring and evaluation of education and training policies in Africa.
- Contribute to knowledge creation on the state of education and training in Africa and international initiatives for the Education 2030 Agenda.
Contribute to the professional development of officials in charge of planning and management of education and training in Africa:
- Contribute to the development of training materials and/or outreach strategies for targeted audiences in Africa.
- Contribute to the implementation of training initiatives developed by IIEP-UNESCO Dakar.
Contribute to capacity building of IIEP-UNESCO Dakar:
- Organize forums for internal sharing of practices across projects.
- Contribute to the reinforcement of capacities of IIEP-UNESCO Dakar’s TC staff.
Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the Head of IIEP-UNESCO Dakar from time to time.
Competencies (Core / Managerial)
- Communication (C)
- Accountability (C)
- Innovation (C)
- Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C)
- Planning and organizing (C)
- Results focus (C)
- Teamwork (C)
- Building partnerships (M)
- Driving and managing change (M)
- Leading and empowering others (M)
- Managing performance (M)
- Making quality decisions (M)
- Strategic thinking (M)
For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework.
Advanced university degree (master’s degree or equivalent) in Economics, Statistics, Education, or other relevant Social Sciences with strong quantitative and qualitative analysis focus.
- Minimum seven (7) years of relevant professional working experience in the fields of education sector analysis, planning and management of education systems of which preferably four (4) years acquired at international level.
- Demonstrated experience working with ministries of education in African countries and development partners.
Skills & Competencies
- Demonstrable knowledge of statistical and econometric techniques.
- Excellent knowledge and use of statistical software such SPSS, SAS, STATA and Microsoft Excel.
- Demonstrable knowledge of African education systems.
- Excellent knowledge of the problems of education in the context of developing countries particularly in Africa.
- Ability to undertake regular missions, especially in diverse and challenging contexts.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Ability to lead and manage a diverse team.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written).
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment.
- Excellent knowledge of either English or French and good working knowledge of the other.
Benefits and entitlements
- UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
The approximate annual starting salary for this post is 109 184 US $.
For full information on benefits and entitlements, please consult our Guide to Staff Benefits.
Selection and recruitment process
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.
Closing date: 17 december 2023.
Pour postuler, veuillez cliquer sur ce lien : careers.unesco.org.