UNESCO recrute 01 Chef du bureau
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
Duration of contract: 2 years renewable. Extension of contract is subject to availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
Overview of the functions of the post
The UNESCO International Institute for Educational Planning Office in Dakar (IIEP-UNESCO Dakar) serves the Africa region of the Organization. IIEP’s mandate is to help UNESCO member states develop capacity to plan and manage their education system. IIEP-UNESCO Dakar has built a reputation as a centre of expertise on education sector analysis and the development of education sector plans. This mission aligns with the Education 2030 agenda and the Sustainable Development Goals. IIEP-UNESCO Dakar’s range of interventions has recently extended into additional lines of work in planning and management for technical and vocational education training, education quality management, and gender equality. Modalities of intervention comprise technical cooperation, training, applied research and development, and outreach, in partnership with national, regional and international organizations. For more information on IIEP Dakar activities, please follow this link: IIEP Dakar Office. Based in IIEP-UNESCO Dakar office, the incumbent works under the overall authority and direct supervision of IIEP-UNESCO Director and within the framework of IIEP’s Medium-Term Strategy. He/she leads and coordinates the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the IIEP-UNESCO Dakar programme delivery. He/she provides leadership and guidance to staff of the Dakar office. The incumbent of the post contributes to build IIEP-UNESCO’s support for stronger planning and management in the education sector in Africa.
Duties and responsibilities
- The identification of African region Member States’ key strategic needs and options in matters of education planning and management, in the context of the region’s specific challenges and opportunities.
- The contribution of IIEP-UNESCO Dakar to the global IIEP strategic thinking and planning, as well as international presence and representation.
- The implementation of IIEP’s Case for Investment in Africa, with a focus on results, quality, accountability and reporting including reinforcing IIEP-UNESCO approaches to Africa’s education challenges.
- The management of the Office’s human resources, with the support of IIEP HR Unit, including ways of work, talent sourcing, professional development, coaching, and cross-team collaborations.
- Ensures the efficient use of financial resources of the Dakar office and fully compliant with UNESCO financial rules, regulations and procedures, with the support from the IIEP’s Corporate Service Unit (CSU)including the establishment of a viable economic model for IIEP Dakar within the global IIEP (including the required cost recovery under the office programmes and projects).
- The development of strategic, financial and operational partnerships with Governments and other stakeholders and decision makers within National, Regional and International Organizations and Institutions.
- Long Description
- Manages a portfolio of technical programs and projects that include support to ministries of education for the African continent.
- Works with the Strategic Partnership Officer to identify and pursue sources of new funding to advance and expand IIEP’s research, development, and technical cooperation activities. Negotiate and secure funding to support the activities of the Office.
- Liaise with the IIEP Director and the Senior Management Team to ensure alignment of IIEP Dakar research, training, and capacity development activities, and maintain a strong corporate focus on programme effectiveness, resource mobilization and strategic impact. Carry out such approved research, training, technical cooperation and dissemination activities, as and when needed, in the interests of the IIEP and according to financial resources.
- Demonstrably contributes to IIEP’s meeting its strategic objectives and quantified targets thematically, geographically, and across IIEP’s main functions (research, technical cooperation, training, knowledge management and mobilization).
- Any other tasks or orientations requested by the IIEP-UNESCO Director.
Competencies (Core / Managerial)
- Communication (C)
- Accountability (C)
- Innovation (C)
- Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C)
- Planning and organizing (C)
- Results focus (C)
- Teamwork (C)
- Professionalism (C)
For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework.
Advanced University degree (Master’s or equivalent) in Education, Public Policy, Economics, Social Science, or other related fields.
- At least 10 years of relevant and progressive professional experience in the field of public policy, either in direct public service at senior level, or in institutions dedicated to research, training, or capacity development, in regional or multilateral programs or institutions.
- A minimum of 5 years of demonstrated experience in supporting governments in Education sector within the African region.
- A minimum of 5 years of demonstrated experience in managing complex portfolios of activities and leading and developing a team of experts and support staff at international level.
- Demonstrated leadership and managerial experience at international level.
Skills and Competencies
- Thorough knowledge of African institutional and Public Policy context.
- Demonstrated management skills, including the capacity to mobilize and administer financial resources and monitor programme implementation to deliver results.
- Demonstrated ability to analyse complex and ambiguous situations, evaluate options, make decisions and recommendations that support organisational goals and objectives.
- Demonstrated ability to interact with a wide range of high-level partners, conduct and participate effectively in high-level negotiations.
- Ability to seek new partnerships and develop and encourage positive working relationships with governments and ministries and establish frameworks for interaction and capacity building.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain partnerships and to ensure a high-level coordination and cooperation with internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to detect emerging educational needs to which an international research and training program could make a substantial contribution and identify key strategic issues, objectives, opportunities and risks.
- Proven organizational skills, including in establishing priorities and plans as well as implementing them effectively.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and capacity to provide intellectual leadership to guide staff and to exercise supervision and control.
- Proven ability to lead, manage and motivate staff members in a multicultural environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity as well as to maintain effective working relationships.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to communicate effectively and persuasively both orally and in writing, with strong representational abilities.
- Strong sense of responsibility, ethics, tact and discretion; ability to work under pressure, respecting tight deadlines.
Excellent knowledge (written and spoken) of French and a working knowledge (written and spoken) of English.
A Phd in Education, Public Policy, Economics, Social Science, or other related fields.
- Experience in developing, implementing, or evaluating policies/programs/projects at senior level in national ministries of education or comparable institutions.
- Experience in developing, implementing or evaluating policies/programs/projects at senior level in ministries of finance and budget, development and cooperation, health, social services or other related departments.
- Experience in international or national response to emergency situations in the Africa region, including response to humanitarian, security, or environmental crisis.
- Experience in international or national response to ongoing challenges and opportunities in the African region, including in matters of employment, migration, urbanization or the environment.
Skills / Competencies
- Knowledge of key policy trends and ongoing institutional reforms at the Continental, Regional and National level in Africa.
- Particular expertise in areas pertaining to institutional capacity building in the African context.
- Particular expertise on public policy, public finance and budget, or service delivery in specific contexts (crisis, humanitarian, minorities, etc.);
- Ability to interact with a wide range of high-level partners and to participate effectively in high-level negotiations.
Benefits and entitlements
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
The approximate annual starting salary for this post is 113 161 US $.
For full information on benefits and entitlements, please consult our Guide to Staff Benefits.
Selection and recruitment process
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.
UNESCO recalls that paramount consideration in the appointment of staff members shall be the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, technical competence and integrity. UNESCO applies a zero-tolerance policy against all forms of harassment. UNESCO is committed to achieving and sustaining equitable and diverse geographical distribution, as well as gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Candidates from non- and under-represented Member States (last update here) are particularly welcome and strongly encouraged to apply. Individuals from minority groups and indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility
Pour postuler, veuillez cliquer sur ce lien : careers.unesco.org.