UNESCO recrute 01 Associate educational policy analyst (gender at the centre initiative)
- Post Number : 6SNIEP0085PA
- Grade : P-2
- Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED)
- Duty Station: Dakar
- Job Family: Education
- Type of contract : Project Appointment
- Duration of contract : 1 year
- Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
- Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 29-FEB-24
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
Duration of contract: 1 year renewable with a six-month probationary period. Extension of contract is subject to availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
Overview of the functions of the post
With more than 50 years of experience developing the capacity of member states, IIEP-UNESCO is the only specialized organization with the mandate to support education policy, planning, and management in the UN system. IIEP’s Africa office (IIEP Dakar) contributes to this mission by producing rigorous analysis and data-driven evidence, developing cutting-edge analytical tools, and delivering technical assistance to identify, facilitate and promote the adoption of effective solutions to Africa’s most pressing education challenges. At the backbone of its strategy and commitment to reducing inequalities in education, IIEP UNESCO co-leads the Gender at the Centre Initiative – GCI, together with UNGEI. Launched in 2019 at the G7 Summit, the GCI aims to strengthen the gender mainstreaming capacities of education system stakeholders and support the development of resources to achieve gender equality in and through education.
Under the overall authority of the Director of IIEP-UNESCO, IIEP-UNESCO Dakar’s Head of Office and the direct supervision of IIEP-Dakar Head of the Gender at the Centre Initiative, the incumbent will contribute to implement activities related to integrating gender equality in the analysis, planning, implementation, management, and monitoring of education and training policies in Africa and beyond.
Duties and responsibilities
More specifically, the selected candidate will be assigned the following tasks:
- Contribute to technical support in GCI selected countries and beyond:
- Assist GCI African countries, as per their requests, in the development, implementation and monitoring of educational policies with a gender perspective: development of educational policy and national strategy documents (sector analyses, education policy orientation document, simulation models, education sector plan, expenditure medium term financial framework, budgeted action plan, etc.), support the development of management and monitoring and evaluation tools, and the preparation of Joint Sector Reviews.
- Assist with developing and sustaining political and education policy management and planning dialogue with the highest authorities of target countries.
- Contribute to manage dialogue, exchange, and coordination with development partners in country.
- Contribute to integrate gender in new GPE processes and country priority reforms.
- Contribute to strengthening capacities of ministries of education in GCI selected countries:
- Through the implementation of multi-country training initiatives developed in the framework of GCI, in collaboration with its partners (courses on gender responsive planning, community of practice in gender and education).
- Through the professional development of officials in charge of management of education planning, management, and training in GCI countries (through short-term and contextualized trainings in the countries).
- Contribute to the production and dissemination of knowledge on gender equality in and through education:
- Contribute to the development of tools on gender mainstreaming in education sector.
- Contribute to applied research projects on barriers to implementing gender equality in education.
Support the Head of the Gender at the Centre Initiative:
- to perform program planning and reporting to the benefit of the larger GCI Initiative
- to support the communication around the initiative
- to build operational partnerships with other multilateral agencies and CSO consortium implementing the Initiative
- to mainstream a gender perspective in IIEP’s work (technical cooperation, capacity development, research, and innovation).
Perform any other duties as assigned by the Head of GCI or the Head of the Office.
Competencies (Core / Managerial)
- Communication (C)
- Accountability (C)
- Innovation (C)
- Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C)
- Planning and organizing (C)
- Results focus (C)
- Teamwork (C)
- Professionalism (C)
Advanced university degree (Master’s or equivalent) in gender, education, economics, social sciences or related fields.
- Minimum 2 years of relevant working experience in the fields of analysis, planning and management of education systems of which preferably 1 year acquired at international level.
- Demonstrated professional experience in gender analysis in education, preferably in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Demonstrated professional experience in the design and/or follow up of education policies or education sector development plans, preferably in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Demonstrated experience in mainstreaming gender equality at institutional level.
Skills & Competencies
- Gender mainstreaming expertise in education planning and ability to integrate gender perspectives into policies, programs, and projects.
- Ability to analyse and assess existing policies and identify opportunities for gender-responsive improvements and to contribute to the development of gender-sensitive education policies.
- Experience in designing and delivering training programs on gender-responsive planning for education stakeholders.
- Experience in establishing and maintaining effective partnerships with Ministries of Education, multilateral agencies, NGOs, and other relevant stakeholders.
- Experience in managing and overseeing projects with a focus on gender-responsive planning.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills to convey complex gender concepts to diverse audiences.
- Capacity to find innovative solutions and design innovative tools to advance gender equality in and through education.
- Good command of common software applications (MS Office Suite).
Excellent knowledge (written and spoken) of English or French and good knowledge of the other language.
For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework.
- Demonstrated experience of designing and facilitating trainings on gender, preferably in the education sector.
- Experience in gender-sensitive budgeting in the education sector.
- Good and practical knowledge of statistical and econometric techniques.
- Monitoring and Evaluation. Develop and implement monitoring and evaluation frameworks to assess the impact of gender-responsive initiatives.
- Knowledge of Portuguese.
Benefits and entitlements
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
The approximate annual starting salary for this post is 71 132 US $.
For full information on benefits and entitlements, please consult our Guide to Staff Benefits.
Selection and recruitment process
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.
Closing date: 29 Février 2024.
Pour postuler, veuillez cliquer sur ce lien : careers.unesco.org.