UNESCO recruits 01 Program Manager – R&D
- Post Number : 6SNIEP0058PA
- Grade : P-4
- Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED)
- Duty Station: Dakar
- Job Family: Education
- Type of contract : Project Appointment
- Duration of contract : 1 year
- Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
- Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 30-NOV-2020
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
Duration of contract: One (1) year with the possibility of an extension subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funds.
IIEP-UNESCO Dakar is the International Institute for Educational Planning’s Africa-based office located in Dakar, Senegal. It is a UNESCO specializedinstitute with a mandate to strengthen Member States’ capacity to plan and manage their education systems. IIEP-UNESCO Dakar is renowned for itscutting edge educational sector analyses and supports African countries in developing realistic and credible education system development plans insupport of the Education 2030 agenda, an essential part of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
Through a well-crafted and targeted capacity development approach, IIEP-UNESCO Dakar contributes to the creation of diagnostic analyses, sectorplans and pedagogical tools. In concrete, these contribute to more relevant and sustainable educational policies across Africa. IIEP-UNESCO Dakar isalso actively involved in knowledge creation for the education sector in Africa.
The Program Manager, Research and Development, under the direct supervision of the Head and Deputy Head of IIEP-UNESCO Dakar and the overall authority of the Director of IIEP, and within theframework of IIEP’s Medium-Term Strategy, is responsible for designing and managing the Office’s research and development (R&D)projects, to provide knowledge, tools, policy papers, etc. for the education and training sector in Africa.
More particularly, the incumbent will:
1.Lead the development of IIEP-UNESCO Dakar’s R&D agenda in accordance with IIEP’s Medium-Term Strategy and thematic priorities:
- Conduct a desk-based analysis to identify the priority needs, challenges and opportunities for R&D in educational planning and management in Africa.
- Design R&D proposals that respond to the needs, challenges and the priorities so identified.
- Propose R&D priorities and work plan to IIEP-UNESCO Dakar’s leadership and support validation in wider Institute.
2. Lead the implementation of IIEP-UNESCO Dakar’s R&D agenda:
- Define methodological approaches and prepare research instruments.
- Develop implementation and funding partnerships with national and international organizations and research bodies to support of R&D activities.
- Lead the research, including the preparation of syntheses, research briefs, articles, policy papers, tools and guidelines based on the researchfindings.
- Ensure quality control of R&D activities and deliverables.
- Support IIEP-UNESCO Dakar, Paris and Buenos Aires collaboration and reporting on R&D work.
3. Support access and use of research findings and tools in education policy-making, planning and management:
- Provide assistance for the integration of R&D findings into technical cooperation support and training materials.
- Support the planning and organization of activities to disseminate R&D research findings and tools, such as expert meetings, policy forums,workshops, blogs, etc.
- Support policy dialogue with decision makers and advise on strategic policy choices with respect to R&D findings.
4. Manage and supervise the R&D team:
- Recruit new staff.
- Monitor and report on programme implementation.
- Provide relevant guidance to achieve expected results.
5. Contribute to Technical Cooperation and Training activities of IIEP-UNESCO Dakar
- Support the design and the implementation of other IIEP-UNESCO Dakar’s activities requiring R&D aspects (such as quality managementprograms).
- Integrate R&D research findings and tools into Technical Cooperation and Training activities.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in Economics, Statistics, Social sciences or related fields.
- Minimum seven (7) years of progressively responsible and relevant professional experience in the fields of applied research in the education sector and data related disciplines.
Skills and competencies
- Demonstrable knowledge of research methods.
- Demonstrable knowledge of statistical and econometric techniques.
- Excellent knowledge and use of statistical software such SPSS, SAS, STATA and spreadsheets.
- Demonstrable knowledge of African education systems.
- Good knowledge of the problems of education in the context of developing countries particularly in Africa.
- Ability to conduct literature reviews, research analysis and synthesis and produce high quality reports, training materials and policy briefs.
- Ability to undertake regular missions, especially in diverse and challenging contexts.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Proven organizational and time management skills.
- Demonstrable team leadership and people management skills.
- Excellent information management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written), including effective networking skills.
- Demonstrable ability collaborate with colleagues to achieve organizational goals.
- Excellent knowledge of French or English and good knowledge of the other language.
- PhD in Economics, Statistics, Social sciences or related fields.
- Relevant experience acquired at the international level.
- Experience working with Universities, Research Institution, Think Tanks or equivalent on education issues.
- Experience working on issues related to education analysis, planning and management.
- Knowledge of Portuguese.
- Knowledge of another official language of UNESCO (Arabic, Chinese, Russian, Spanish)
Pour postuler à ce poste veuillez visiter careers.unesco.org.