UNESCO recruits 01 Associate Research & Development Officer
- UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
- Duration of contract: 1 year with possibility of extension subject to availability of funds and performance.Organisational context
IIEP-UNESCO Dakar is the International Institute for Educational Planning’s (IIEP) Africa-based office located in Dakar, Senegal. IIEP is a UNESCO specialized institute with a mandate to strengthen Member States’ capacity to plan and manage their education systems. The IIEP-UNESCO Dakar, is renowned for its cutting edge educational sector analyses and supports African countries in developing realistic and credible education system development plans in support of the Education 2030 agenda, an essential part of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
Through a well-crafted and targeted capacity development approach, IIEP-UNESCO Dakar contributes to the creation of diagnostic analyses, sector plans and pedagogical tools. In concert, these contribute to more relevant and sustainable educational policies across Africa. IIEP-UNESCO Dakar is also actively involved in knowledge creation for the education sector in Africa. For more information about its activities please follow this link IIEP-UNESCO Dakar.
Overview of the functions of the post
Under the overall authority of the Head and the Deputy Head of IIEP-UNESCO Dakar and under the direct supervision of the R&D Manager of IIEP-UNESCO Dakar, the incumbent will be responsible for supporting the coordination, management and implementation of the Research and Development projects of the IIEP-UNESCO Dakar. The newly created IIEP Dakar Research and Development programme (Dakar-R&D) aims to generate high quality evidence to inform and guide decision making in the planning, management, and capacity building processes of the education and training sectors in Africa. In close collaboration with the other IIEP-UNESCO Dakar teams, with the IIEP offices in Paris and Buenos Aires, and with external partners, the R&D team works to identify, promote, and facilitate the adoption of effective, efficient, and sustainable solutions to Africa’s most pressing education challenges. Within the framework of IIEP’s Medium-Term Strategy, the incumbent will contribute to the design, planning and execution of the IIEP Dakar’s R&D portfolio, to nourish with new knowledge and innovative tools the transformation of education in Africa. Specifically the incumbent will:
- Contribute to the coordination, management and implementation of the IIEP-UNESCO Dakar R&D portfolio, supporting the different project activities during their complete cycle, from inception to completion (i.e. initiating, planning, executing, monitoring, capitalization, and closing phases).
- Source information, conduct desk-based analysis and monitor education and research novelties to identify priority needs, challenges, and opportunities in educational planning and management in Africa.
- Contribute to the development of the IIEP-UNESCO Dakar R&D agenda to respond to the needs, challenges and priorities so identified.
- Participate in the conception (e.g. preparation of proposals, concept notes, pre-analysis plans) and technical execution of R&D projects (e.g. design of instruments and prototypes, literature reviews, data cleaning, analysis, etc.), including field missions as required.
- Support the preparation of presentations, concept notes, reports, articles, policy briefs, media, and dissemination products, and similar, and participate in the different R&D communication and dissemination activities.
- Support IIEP Dakar R&D Manager’s effort’s in partnership development and fundraising.
Collaborate with Technical Cooperation and Training team for various activities.
Competencies (Core / Managerial)
- Results focus (C)
- Teamwork (C)
- Innovation (C)
- Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C)
- Planning and organizing (C)
- Professionalism (C)
- Communication (C)
- Accountability (C)
For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in Education, Economics, Political Science or related social sciences field.
- Minimum two (2) years of relevant work experience in the field of applied research and policy analysis in the education sector preferably in the Africa region.
- Demonstrated experience in conducting rigorous quantitative and/or qualitative research (design, collection, cleaning, coding and analysis of administrative data, surveys, interviews, focus groups, etc.).
Skills and Competencies
- Proven skills in producing high quality written documents (concept notes, media products, policy briefs, working papers, blog posts, literature and desk reviews, synthesis, etc.)
- Creative thinking and ability to conceive, develop and execute new projects from the initial stages to completion.
- Ability to communicate effectively with diverse stakeholders and audiences, both verbal and written.
- Good understanding of the challenges of education in Africa.
- Proven organizational skills, and able to multitask.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work in a multicultural environment.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and collaborate with colleagues to achieve organizational and team goals.
- Ability to travel internationally, including fragile and challenging context countries.
Very good knowledge of French or English and basic knowledge of the other.
PhD degree in the relevant field.
- Experience with international organizations, governments, or development agencies.
- Experience in mixed research projects (quantitative and qualitative analysis).
- Experience and interest in internal and external communications, partnership development, and fundraising activities.
- Experience in the design and realization of infographics or other novel forms of data/information visualization.
Skills and Competencies
- Expertise in data management, research process management (design and implementation of protocols, guidelines, manuals, etc.), and research ethics and integrity procedures.
- Knowledge of and experience using project and knowledge management tools.
- Excellent knowledge and use of specialized software for quantitative (R, Stata, SPSS or others) and/or qualitative data analysis, and of Microsoft Office.
- Knowledge of programming languages (e.g. VBA, Python).
Knowledge of other UNESCO official language (Arabic, Chinese, Russian, Spanish).
Benefits and entitlements
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
For more information about UN salaries, benefits and entitlements, please consult this ICSC booklet
Selection and recruitment process
Evaluation of qualified applicants may include a written assessment exercise followed by a virtual competency-based oral interview.
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 02-JULY-2021.
Pour postuler à ce poste veuillez visiter careers.unesco.org.