Graphic Designer Consultant
Advertised on behalf of : UN WOMEN
Location : Dakar, SENEGAL
Application Deadline : 12-Dec-19 (Midnight New York, USA)
Additional Category : Gender Equality
Type of Contract : Individual Contract
Post Level : National Consultant
Languages Required : English French
Starting Date :
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start) 06-Jan-2020
Duration of Initial Contract : 1 year
Expected Duration of Assignment : 1 year
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the center of all its efforts, UN Women has the mandate to lead and coordinate United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It provides strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
UN Women Regional Office West and Central Africa is looking for a professional graphic designer who will provide the requested services on a retainer basis, in charge of the creating, designing and formatting of various communication and publication products (see below) as needed, either for print or for the UN Women website, social media and reports (global, regional and country). The retainer contract will not be engaged on full-time basis but only when required by UN Women Regional Office West and Central.
Duties and Responsibilities
SCOPE OF WORK AND SPECIFIC TASKS
The Graphic designer will work closely with UN Women Regional Office West and Central to provide designing, illustration and multimedia services for annual report, websites and social media platforms, in various multimedia projects and will be shared with media partners and UN system partners.
Key Duties and responsibilities:
• Design/production of various communications materials and illustrations (vector art files) may include but are not limited to the following:
4. Print publications;
5. Interactive publications;
6. Posters and event signage;
7. Email blast banners and newsletters;
8. Infographics and factographs;
9. Social media banners, cover photos;
10. Images overlaid with text in different sizes for the web and social media;
11. Promotional/giveaway items.
• For any designing assignment a number of rounds of revisions should be expected. In the case of the print products, the candidate may also be expected to support with the overall printing process;
• All products shall follow UN Women Branding Guidelines and Graphic Standards (see document attached). Brief, brochures and reports will have to be designed using the UN Women corporate templates for publications (to be provided by UN Women Regional Office West and Central once candidate is selected).
DURATION OF ASSIGNMENT AND DUTY STATION
• This assignment will be in the form of long-term retainer contract and initially for one year period. The Graphic designer will not be engaged on a full-time basis but only when required by the UN Women Regional Office West and Central.
The Graphic designer will work under the direct supervision of Regional Communications Specialist, who will be responsible for the quality assurance of the deliverables.
UN WOMEN WILL PROVIDE THE FOLLOWING SUPPORT TO THE CONSULTING FIRM:
• Briefing and detailed explanation of the kind of services needed and help in defining the best contents for different purposes;
• Programme information and editorial guidance to the artist/creative company to enable him/her to understand the Deliverables required and generate captions to embed in the photographs.
• Creativity and innovation in video production;
• Ability for teamwork and ability to work autonomously;
• Ability to work under high pressure and in difficult situations;
Enjoy working in a demand-driven environment, motivated by a willingness to respond rapidly and effectively to the needs of clients.^
Required Skills and Experience
• Strong theoretical and practical background in graphic and information design and data visualization (minimum of 5 years of experience in graphic production from start to published/printed product);
• Strong design skills, particularly in data visualization;
• Portfolio which shows strong and dynamic design work in graphic and information design;
• Strong knowledge of use of different design platforms/software (such as Adobe photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Premium, etc.)
• Clear, creative and mature style of design;
• Ability to communicate complex, abstract concepts through design;
Other skills: Capacity to plan, prioritize and deliver tasks on time; Openness to change and ability to receive/integrate feedback; Ability to work under pressure; Consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women. Ability to conceptualize, plan and execute innovative ideas, ability to work effectively under deadlines, self-starter, flexible and able to time-manage oneself.
SAMPLES: For the quotation to be considered, the applicant must submit the following samples. Samples can be submitted as attached files, web links or as hard copy;
• 2 examples of design of print materials, including one piece that demonstrates extensive typesetting (with photographs);
• 1 graph displaying statistical data for print;
• 1 infographic (for print or web).
• Minimum of 5 years of relevant professional experience in designing and publications;
• Ability to interact with both the organization and the general public, good interpersonal skills and organizational proficiency;
• Professional experience in working with International Organistion is an added advantage.
• Written and oral proficiency in French and knowledge in English is strongly preferred.
• Interested firms can apply online or by submitting their proposal to UN Women Regional Office West and Central in a sealed envelope by indicating the title of the advertisement on the envelop;
• While submitting the proposal, the firm will also be required to submit the CVs of their professional creative artists;
Provide the list of the equipment and softwares