TWB recruits 01 Chatbot Technical Developer
Contract length: 9 months
Location: Home-based, available GMT (UTC±0) core working hours
Reporting to: Chatbot Product Manager
Application deadline: 24 March, 2021
We offer in addition to salary:
- an innovative work environment with a diverse and passionate team
- 20 days of annual leave and 10 days of floating holidays
This role is to act as technical developer on our conversational agent (chatbot) program helping our technology team build a chatbot platform to be used across a wide range of use cases focused primarily in the humanitarian sector.
The chatbots are built using Python (using the Rasa platform for its core engine), deployed in the cloud (Google), and integrated with platforms such as WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger and Telegram. We want to also test the feasibility of connecting it to an SMS gateway.
The technical developer will own the following high-level tasks:
- All technical aspects of the Development, including
- Write reusable, testable, and efficient code using Python
- Integration of source control (GitHub)
- Integration with any third party channels through API’s (or building custom API) (e.g : WhatsApp, FB Messenger, SMS, etc.)
- Performance tuning, improvement, balancing, usability, automation
- Assist with Deployment
- Deployment to the cloud (Google)
- Creating Infrastructure designs to handle failure scenarios
- Infrastructure planning for increased usage of the bot
- Design and implementation of a process to automate the extraction of conversation logs to update training data automatically using an annotatable interface.
- Set up of test suites for testing
- Work with the NLP engineers & Conversational design lead to implement improvements and define new story paths.
- Work with language leads to improve the interfaces that interact with the core platform.
Please note that these responsibilities may change over time. The role will evolve along with the overall program as projects and activities develop to reflect the changing language needs of the affected population and implementing agencies.
The Chatbot Program – Technical Developer should be enthusiastic about the importance of increasing access to knowledge through language. The right candidate is an energetic team player who agrees with TWB´s basic beliefs and values and who can work virtually with team members based throughout the world.
- Minimum of 3 years of development experience
- Strong Development experience in Python
- A degree in Computer Science or Computer engineering, preferably in Machine Learning or NLP.
- Familiarity with NLP, ML, AI
- Experienced in developing conversational AI
- Practical knowledge of corpus analysis and dialogue management
- Breadth of knowledge of text virtual assistant/chatbot technologies
- Conversational UI development experience
- Understanding of the Rasa platform (a plus)
- Able to innovate to find creative solutions; willing to explore new technologies
- Able to deal with frequent changes, delays, interruptions, and unexpected events
- Resourceful, able to get more out of small budgets
- Good interpersonal skills; able to work well in a team-oriented, collaborative, cross-functional environment
- Detail-oriented, thorough, accurate, able to meet deadlines, and able to work quickly and steadily in a focused manner
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment and reacts well to pressure
- Demonstrates initiative, commitment, ability to problem solve, and enthusiasm for learning.
- Strong ability to multitask, prioritize, and work independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to mediate, negotiate, and resolve conflicts constructively
- Fluent in English, good knowledge of French a plus
Translators without Borders believes that everyone has the right to give and receive information in a language and format they understand. We work with nonprofit partners and a global community of language professionals to build local language translation capacity and raise awareness of language barriers.
About Translators without Borders
Translators without Borders (TWB) envisions a world where knowledge knows no language barriers. The US-based non-profit provides people access to vital knowledge in their language by connecting non-profit organizations with a community of language professionals, building local language translation capacity, and raising awareness of language barriers. Originally founded in 1993 in France (as Traducteurs sans Frontières), TWB translates millions of words of life-saving and life-changing information every year.
Translators without Borders employees and volunteers are made of people who believe passionately about the value of this work and take personal responsibility for achieving the mission. Translators without Borders’ mission and organizational spirit embody the core values established in its strategic framework:
Excellence: As the leading voice for communicating humanitarian information in the right language, Translators without Borders is a leader in the translation industry and in the non-profit sector.
Integrity: Translators without Borders believes that every person, whether it’s the people who we serve, our volunteers or our staff, has value, deserves respect and has inherent dignity.
Empowerment: Translators without Borders believes in using language to empower people around the world to control their own development and destiny.
Innovation: Translators without Borders recognizes and celebrates the power of innovation to address humanitarian and crisis issues around the world.
Sustainability: Translators without Borders recognizes that meeting our mission necessitates establishment and maintenance of a solid financial and organizational infrastructure.
Tolerance: Our staff and volunteers are highly knowledgeable and skilled; value each other, our partner and our recipients; create a supportive work environment; and, conduct themselves professionally at all times.
Translators without Borders is an equal-opportunity employer, committed to diversity and inclusion, and encourages qualified candidates of all genders and from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.
TWB may re-advertise the vacancy, cancel the recruitment, offer an appointment with a modified job description or for a different duration at its discretion.