TWAS Siwei Cheng Award in Economic Sciences 2020 (Prize of US$10,000)
Deadline: March 16, 2020
Applications are open for the TWAS Siwei Cheng Award in Economic Sciences 2020. With funding from the Siwei Cheng Foundation of the Education Foundation of the University of Chinese Academy of Sciences, the award will recognize economic scientists who have been living and working in a developing country for at least 10 years.
The prize reflects the Chinese Academy of Sciences’ strong support to TWAS and, more generally, seeks to build scientific capacity in the developing world. Bai Chunli, president of both the Chinese Academy and TWAS, played a central role in the creation of the TWAS-Siwei Cheng Award.
The TWAS-Siwei Cheng Award is named after the renowned Chinese economist Siwei Cheng (1935-2015), an economist, chemical engineer, and major political figure. He is most well-known for his work in modern Chinese economic development as a driving force behind the establishment of ChiNext, a stock exchange designed to provide venture capital in technology companies. His work has had a profound impact on both the Chinese and global economy.
- From 2017 a prize of US$10,000 will be awarded in the field of Economic Sciences.
- The prize is accompanied by a medal.
- The prize will be presented on a special occasion, often coinciding with the General Meeting of TWAS.
- Candidates for the TWAS-Siwei Cheng Award in Economic Sciences must be economic scientists who have been living and working in a developing country for at least ten years immediately before their nomination. They must meet at least one of the following qualifications:
- Scientific research achievement in economic sciences of outstanding significance for the development of scientific thought.
- Outstanding contribution to the application of economic sciences to sustainable development.
- Members of TWAS and candidates for TWAS membership are not eligible for the prize.
- Self-nominations will not be considered.
A nomination is considered complete only if includes all of the following information/material:
- Nominator contact details
- Nominee contact details (self nominations are not accepted) and general infomation on the nominee, including the country where he/she has been working and living in the past 10 years
- Scientific field the nominations if for (only one)
- Suggested citation (20-25 words highlighting the nominee’s scientific achievements)
- Supporting statement which should explain carefully the work performed by the nominee, its significance and justification to its outstanding nature. The outstanding contribution may be defined in relation to existing opportunities and realistic possibilities available to the candidate. This applies particularly to candidates from scientifically disadvantaged countries
- Biographical sketch of the nominee in NARRATIVE style. Information on any time spent abroad of the home country in the past ten years is to be clearly provided.
- Degrees obtained
- Professional appointments
- Brief information on membership in academies and societies
- Brief information on awards and honours received
- List of 12 most significant publications listed in an internationally acceptable format.
- Google Scholar h-index and number of citations
- Contact details (especially email addresses) of five referees covering a wide geographical distribution, whom we can contact regarding the nominee’s work. It is to be noted that referees reports can only be submitted through the online platform. In particular, the referees will be contacted by TWAS through the email address entered in the nomination form. Please note that if fewer than three meaningful referees reports have been received by the deadline set by the TWAS Executive Director, the nomination will not be processed. It is recommended that Referees place the focus of their letter on the impact of the nominee’s work.
- The nominee’s brief CV and her/his complete list of publications are also to be uploaded, separately, onto the online platform (only pdf files are allowed).
- Authorization from the nominee to process his/her personal data for the purposes of his/her nomination, in conformity to Art. 13 of the Italian Legislative Decree 196/2003. This authorization can only be submitted through the online platform. In particular, nominees will be contacted by TWAS by means of the email address inserted in the nomination form, and requested to submit online their acceptance, if so they wish, by the deadline indicated.