He/she supports the Head of Mission on the overall implementation of the WASH and shelter (including school rehabilitation) programs in all governorate of Syria TGH is intervening in, requirements definition, writing grant applications, planning, defining strategies and reporting to donors.
He/she supervises the overall work of the program WASH and shelter (including school rehabilitation) team ensuring program development and quality and timely implementation of all the organization projects in Syria.
He provides direct supervision and support to the operational and overall functioning of the mission within 3 or 4 bases in Damascus, Hama, Dara’a and maybe Ar-Raqqa in coordination with TGH program and support staff.
In direct collaboration with the Head of Mission, the sector program managers and the support services departments, his main responsibilities are:
- Lead WASH and shelter (including school rehabilitation) programming for the TGH mission in Syria, ensuring program quality through strategy development and participatory program design in close collaboration with the Head of Mission, the Program team and the national partners.
- Develop and adjust strategies for emergency, recovery and rehabilitation programming based on thorough humanitarian context analysis, TGH and partner capacities, resource availability and coordination with the sector and government line ministries.
- Work with the Head of Mission, the Program team and the national partners to prepare concept papers and grant proposals as well as mobilizing funds.
- Support the Program Team in the implementation of operations and monitoring of progress on project indicators and outcomes, ensuring compliance with donor’s requirements and sector standards.
- Manage program budgets and ensure spending is consistent with resources available, donor commitments and co-funding requirements in coordination with the Administration Coordinator.
- Contribute to the improvement of comprehensive program monitoring systems ensuring that monitoring data are feed into management decisions and used in program management.
- Conduct field visits to Hama, Dara’a and Rural Damascus for program monitoring and capacity building of field teams and partner.
- Prepare or assist program staff to prepare regular program reports for donors and partners as required. Ensure timely information exchange of emergency operations. Respond to internal and external requests for reports and information about programs.
- Exchange information and technical support with headquarters WASH and Civil Engineering Technical Department Referents and the sector partners (clusters) in Syria ensuring compliance with sector standards and best practices.
- Ensure regular program coordination with Head of Mission to link with donors, including provision of regular project updates, preparation of modification requests and preparation of donors monitoring visits.
- Ensure program coordination and complementarity with SARC, OCHA, UNHCR, UNICEF, government line ministries, INGOs and NNGOs.
- Contribute to relevant Protection, Gender and Environmental issues mainstreaming in Syria programs.
- Evaluate program quality, including documenting best practices and lessons learned from Syria WASH and shelter (including school rehabilitation) programs and ensuring these are considered in program design.
- In direct link with the HQ Wash and Civil Engineering Technical Experts, ensures the review of technical designs (water points, WASH facilities, schools etc.) and the methodology of soft activity components (training, hygiene promotion, capacity-building of Water Authorities, etc.).
Data collection and monitoring tools
- Pursue and continue review & development of the technical documents, guidelines & procedures
- Review of the monitoring tools package and RACI structure (responsibility assignment matrix).
- Visit of all TGH operational bases and staffs (Hama, Dara’a and Rural Damascus) to follow the installation of new monitoring tools and RACI structure with each staff involved.
- Conduct short refreshment training for all TGH or non-TGH staff, SARC staff involved in data collection if necessary.
- On-the-job quality control of data collection methods Based on observations, advice teams on possible improvement and share lesson learnt and best practices.
- From Damascus, provide continued support to field teams. In consultation with TGH WASH and Civil Engineering technical unit in HQ, provide modifications to tools and structures in case practice show that improvements are needed.
- Support to MEAL officer on data analysis based on the monitoring tools package, and on how to integrate lesson learnt from analysis in activity implementation.
- Support program team in creating new assessment tool for shelter intervention adapted to Syria context.
- Preparation of monthly feedback report to be sent to WASH staffs in charge of data compilation in the bases.
- Supervise directly the WASH and shelter Program Managers and Officers and other team members as required.
- Adapt tasks and responsibilities allocation within the Program team to accommodate program requirements or specific situations.
- Identify capacity building needs for staff and partners involved in the response. Take the lead on coordinating any formal or informal training for the Program Team and partners.
- Provide direct support to the Program team through training sessions and appraisals.
- Represent TGH in UN cluster meetings, government coordination meetings and other programming forums in Syria, along with the sector program managers when relevant and/or the Head of Mission.
- Along with the Head of Mission, maintain fluid relationships with the donor agencies and supports the follow-up of funding opportunities for TGH Syria programs.
- With the Country Director, contributes to programs complementarity and synergies by maintaining fluid relationships with international and local organizations, specifically those working in same geographical areas and WASH sector.
General support to the mission
- Safeguard that conduct and work of the Program Team respects core humanitarian values of humanity, independence, neutrality and impartiality.
- Contributes to the respect of security measures applied by the Head of Mission.
- Supports the implementation of internal procedures in coordination with the Administration, Finance and the Logistics Coordinators
- Supports internal improvement processes. Contributes to knowledge and information sharing within the INGO team.
This list of responsibilities could be modified according to the needs in the field.
Experience / Qualifications
- At least 3 years of humanitarian experience in the field, with at least 1 year in a coordination position (WASH –shelter program).
- Experience in the following sector: Water supply, Sanitation and Hygiene, shelter
- Experience in managing emergency and early-recovery operations in challenging security environments and understanding of the humanitarian environment (standards, stakeholders and mechanisms).
- Experience in grants management and knowledge of procedures of main donor agencies: ECHO, OFDA, OCHA (SHF), UN Agencies or others.
- Practice in designing M&E systems, tools, quality data collection, analysis and use of M&E data for program decision making.
- Excellent communication and writing skills in English. Preferably competent user of French spoken and written.
- Ability in successful team management and capacity building
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work effectively on a team and to lead a team of specialists from a range of fields.
- Autonomy and rigor. Developed skills for work organization and tasks prioritization
- Capacity to represent TGH at high level coordination meetings with different stakeholders.
- Experience of Arabic or Muslim countries and knowledge or Arabic language a distinct advantage
- Proficient user of MS Office pack. Knowledge on data treatment and GIS software will be positively considered.
Salaried contract, gross monthly salary from 2’300 to 2’800 EUR according to experience, monthly per diem dollars 850, medical coverage of 100% + repatriation insurance + provident fund, accommodation, international and local transportation as part of the mission, break every 3 months.
More information on www.trianglegh.org, under “Participate”.
Please post your resume and cover letter on our HR’s page website: www.trianglegh.org to the attention of Tatiana Sanglade, Human Resources Officer.