Tostan International is hiring a Team Leader – Grants and Project Management (GPM).
Tostan is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization headquartered in Dakar, Senegal and currently operating in five West African countries. Strategically, the organization is committed to continuing to develop its core competency of empowering education and to documenting and scaling the sustainable impact it creates across a range of issues. Tostan’s flagship model, the 3-Year Community Empowerment Program (CEP), has already reached thousands of communities in both West and East Africa since 1991. Outcomes in governance, education, health, economic empowerment, and the environment are currently tracked, and Tostan has been particularly proud to play a significant role in the large-scale empowerment of women and girls and the community-led abandonment of
harmful practices such as female genital cutting and child marriage. As a part of its 2019-2022 Strategic Engagement Plan Tostan is focused on Strategic Scaling. The organization is developing new implementation strategies to support community leadership in unlocking larger-scale systems change at regional scale. It is also creating new models for sharing and replicating its programs with other development partners and expanding its capacities to share Tostan’s overall approach to support and influence a range of local and global audiences.
The GPM Team Leader will oversee Tostan’s GPM team. The position is based at our international headquarters in Dakar and entails traveling regularly to Tostan National Coordinations (NC) in Senegal, Mali, Guinea, The Gambia, and Guinea-Bissau, as well as to the Tostan Training Center (TTC) in Thiès (Senegal).
As a visionary yet hands-on leader, the GPM Team Leader will support the scaling of programs on the ground and drive learning and collaboration across the organization. Reporting to the Chief of Programs (CoP), and working closely with the Monitoring, Evaluation, Research and Learning (MERL) Team Leader, the Pedagogy & Conception Team Leader, the Global Mobilization Team, the Finance Department and National Coordinators, the GPM Team Leader will guide the GPM Team in the further development and implementation of Tostan’s programmatic nitiatives to scale community well-being, driving the GPM Team’s key learning objectives while overseeing the direct
implementation of Tostan’s programs, in addition to training and replication with other strategic partners.
- As a member of the Strategic Support Team, contributes to strategic thinking and decision-making, including the planning and monitoring of organizational objectives as described in the Strategic Engagement Plan
- Leads or contributes actively to the creation of internal and public documents including programming summaries, research and evaluation reports, donor and organizational reports, thought leadership, and other strategic program documents
- Develops and implements yearly objectives of the GPM Team
- Works closely with the Global Mobilization Team and the Executive Team to plan the creation of upcoming concept notes and proposals
- Leads and oversees the GPM Team, currently comprised of 1 Project Manager and 2 Project Officers
- Provides mentorship and capacity development to relevant staff
- Facilitates a clear understanding of each relevant staff member’s role and responsibilities
- Ensures proper understanding and use of organizational systems and structures for effective coordination of the Team, as well as coordination with other departments
- Drives continual improvement of grant development, management and reporting by coordinating with other members of the Programs Department, the Finance Department, other department managers, and national teams.
Grants Management and Project Monitoring
- Oversees all grants portfolios of the organization
- Manages the GPM Team in proposal development process
- Ensures the team is communicating with grant-makers and other donors in accordance with Tostan’s relationship management systems
- Ensures proper monitoring, archiving and data management of the team’s results and reporting
- Provides expertise and practical guidance to staff to resolve routine and non-routine issues related to contract and grant administration and donor stewardship
- Designs projects aligned with needs and strategic priorities while streamlining administrative aspects of each grant to ensure maximum efficiency
- Creates or refines and implements efficient policies, systems and rules for opening, managing and closing grants
- Ensures that project budgeting, work plans and reporting are on track
- Ensures that grants are completed on time, flags and coordinates for the resolution of any issue that may delay project implementation with the support of other key departments/teams (Programs, Finance, MERL )
- Ensures effective communication on each active project with the executive team and the
- Senior Support Team, including through SST meetings and priorities updates
- Ensures that all concepts, proposals and reports shared with donors meet required quality standards
- Ensures that funder requirements are communicated to other departments to ensure compliance of all internal systems
- Supports the development and implementation of resource mobilization and project design strategies
- Develops program-specific strategies to meet funding needs in collaboration with colleagues within the Programs team and GMT that align with ongoing Tostan projects and new initiatives
- Supports the strategic cultivation and stewardship efforts of relationship managers for existing and new donors and partners through open, proactive communication and documentation.
- Supports the Global mobilization team as needed with individual donor stewardship and preparation for fundraising events
- Ensures effective coordination between fundraising team, headquarters staff and project implementers in the field
- Refines processes and policies in collaboration with National Coordinators and other departments, to ensure effective and timely reporting to donors
- Ensures that the active grants list and reporting calendar are maintained up to date, and develops tools as needed to ensure greater internal communication and alignment
- Develops and implements capacity building strategies to support national offices (reporting, proposal development, institutional donor relationship, project management)
- Other responsibilities, as deemed appropriate by the Chief Of Programmes will be included as part of the role
Key qualifications and selection criteria
- Master’s Degree in Development, project management or a related field or equivalent experience Training in Management desirable.
- Publishing or thought leadership in programmatic areas highly relevant to Tostan’s work such as social norms, gender, human rights, well-being, or education is an asset.
- Fluent in written and spoken English and French.
- Excellent writing skills in English are required.
- Knowledge of a local language in which Tostan works is welcome.
Knowledge & Experience
- Experience in a grants and project management role, partnering with executive staff
- Strong leadership and management skills
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Exceptional communication skills, both oral and written
- Strong organizational and computer skills
- Sound understanding of Tostan’s program is an asset
- Financial knowledge of budgeting, reporting, etc.
- Strong problem-solving skills
- 5 years of experience in project management as well as financial aspects of grants management in an international non-profit organization
- Strong knowledge in project management, design, monitoring and reporting
- Experience with individual sponsorships and institutional donor reporting
- Experience in a multinational organization or an organization with multiple regional offices
would be an asset
- Ability to lead a team, to effectively mentor key staff in a multicultural and multilingual environment and to promote capacity-building efforts
- Passionate belief in and commitment to empowering communities to develop and achieve their vision for the future and inspiring large-scale movements leading to dignity for all
- Strong commitment to human rights education, participatory approaches and transparency, and to bringing these to life in organizations and/or communities
- Potential to bring unique and aligned gift(s) that contribute to Tostan’s long-term success
- Ability to work in a collaborative, co-creative team, bringing value to the team’s outcomes
- Ability to advise CoP on strategic decisions on project and grants management, and to ensure efficient and effective coordination of grants across geographies and departments
- Functions effectively in a multi-lingual, multi-cultural work environment
- Works efficiently in a hands-on environment with limited resources
- Demonstrates gender awareness, cultural sensitivity, empathy and respect for people and different points of view with active listening skills
- Develops and manages positive working relationships at all levels, acting with diplomacy, tact and integrity
- Maintains a positive and cooperative attitude
- Has an encouraging, empowering and supportive team spirit
- Is a strategic thinker and demonstrates sound judgment
- Is a clear communicator with an open, honest and straightforward manner
- Is resilient, takes initiative and is persistent under pressure
- Directly Supervises: Grants and Projects Management Team
- Reports to: Chief of Programs
- Location: The position is located in Dakar, Senegal, at Tostan’s International Office. The post will require regular travel to Thies Senegal, to Tostan’s national and/or regional offices in Tostan’s five countries of presence, and to international events and meetings of programmatic nature.
- Budget Size: Tostan’s annual operating budget for 2020 is planned at $10 m.
- Salary: Competitive package in line with Tostan’s salary grid.
Send your CV, cover letter, and at least three (3) professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org before February 25th. Please note that candidates will be reviewed on a rolling basis and that only the candidates who satisfy the minimum requirements will be contacted for a written test, scheduled for the week of March 2nd. The candidates who pass the test will be convened for an oral interview.
Tostan is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate all applicants without unlawful considerations of race, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.