Tony Blair Institute recruits 01 Enterprise Architect Advisor
Focus of the Role
Are you excited by the prospect of transforming developing and emerging nations through the application of technology and innovations across public services, agriculture, and health? Do you have experience of consulting or working in the tech field and of leading teams to drive systemic and transformative change in an emerging or developing country? Do have experience translating tech solutions for public sector clients?
The Enterprise Architect Advisor is a key role within our globally-situated Central Team supporting the design and delivery of country-level initiatives and activities in pursuit of the Institute’s “Tech for Development” (T4D) flagship programme. The postholder will be part of a Global Central Team comprised of experts across our strategic pillars Ag-Tech, Digital ID, Health-Tech, E-Government, Digital Infrastructure, and country-support generalists who work in partnership with country-based Heads of Tech for Development and their respective teams.
In support of TBI’s country teams, the post holder will be responsible for assisting teams in scoping various ICT environments and supporting design of services within one or more of the T4D strategic pillars to support digital and tech transformation outcomes. The purpose will be to assist country teams in identifying areas that require support, which in turn a TBI intervention could be constructed around as part of the T4D programme offering to governments.
In line with this responsibility, the Enterprise Architect Advisor will be expected to contribute to the development of executable future technology Architecture blueprints which can be carried forward once interventions move into implementation phase. In addition, the post holder will be expected to support in-country Heads of Tech in their recruitment and offer management support as needed of additional technical roles that are tasked with advancing T4D initiatives, such as Enterprise Architects. Finally, this role will require the ability to speak to government leaders and other nontechnical team members about the strategic choices, trade-offs, and options around architecture options, challenges, and opportunities and should be able to convey complex principles in an easy to understand manner.
Successful delivery of the role will include:
- Assist with the design and implementation of bold, transformational new sector initiatives in existing TBI T4D projects, working closely with other T4D colleagues, in-country and globally, to:
- Lead and support engagement with external stakeholders such as tech hubs/incubators, innovators, and technology companies to match their offer to our government needs and to help facilitate new tech partnerships for our governments
- Determine and define the parameters and dynamics of potential project opportunities, including Tech/Digital solutions, Tech resource requirements, Risk Assessment, SWOT analyses, stakeholder/partner analyses and a project plan
- Perform in-depth Technology Landscape assessments to identify and evaluate the current and future status of relevant technologies as they are developed within the various ministries within multiple geographies
- Identifying and assisting with resourcing to support T4D scoping and programme formation
- Keep abreast of the latest Technology Industry architecture standards
- Shape and embody a culture that drives innovation, learning and delivery with the T4D Global Central Team and the wider Institute:
- Provide expertise to build out TBI’s tech transformation global offer and playbook, contributing to thought leadership that is globally recognised
- Build productive relationships with TBI country teams and wider institute colleagues
- This role will require travel to project countries across Africa, Eastern Europe and Southeast Asia
Strategy and Planning:
- Assist country teams in scoping T4D opportunities;
- Design enterprise architecture plans;
- Ensure integration of plans with the wider strategy for the T4D initiative in-country;
- integrate the blueprints with existing solution sets to create a harmonious data guided view for TBI clients; and
- identify and assist with resourcing required to deliver T4D initiative in-country
Government Relations: Where required assist in-country team engagements to establish effective and trusted relationships with the government counterparts
People: Work with in-country team members, such as Heads of Tech, Embedded Advisors and digital transformation teams to realise their stated objectives and milestones in line with the T4D offering in-country
External Relations (non-governmental): Engage with relevant external stakeholders such as tech hubs/incubators, investors, other not for profit organisations
One TBI: The post holder will formally report into the Deputy Global Director and form part of Global Team’s Rapid Response Team, but is expected to work across the Institute
We are looking for an experienced leader:
- 7+ years’ experience in leading Tech Architecture consulting engagements. Post holder has proven experience in implementing large transversal Tech Architecture changes with direct report to and, or sponsorship from DG’s, Directors and, or Ministers within governments
- With certification in Enterprise Architecture (TOGAF)
- Experience with SQL, data sourcing, enterprise data management, systems architecture blueprints, modelling, business strategy, auditing and compliance
- Experience in business operations, technology, consulting or advisory functions, specifically working in a developing country on public sector tech architectures / projects
- Familiarity with policy foundations and regulation needed to foster and enable technology transformation for public good
- Proven ability to structure, articulate, prioritise, solve, and implement complex Tech Architecture problems
- A bold thinker equipped to be a thought partner and peer to cutting edge technology companies as well as government leadership with an aim to thinking towards the future of cutting-edge innovation
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and able to quickly develop polished client briefing materials to support conversations at high levels of government and executive briefings
- Fluency in English required (oral and written)
The following is also desirable:
- Fluency in French required (oral and written), or another language relevant to the countries TBI supports
- A strong network in the Tech sector in Africa, Eastern Europe and/or Southeast Asia
About The Institute
The Tony Blair Institute (TBI) is a mission-driven not for profit organisation. We exist to equip political leaders and governments to build open, inclusive and prosperous societies. We work hard, every day, to make a difference. When governments work well, they are able to create economic and social change in a way that promotes fairness, social justice, and opportunity. We work relentlessly to support leaders and governments with the challenges they face. Giving them practical solutions and actionable insights, that once implemented, can be transformative for their people.
We do this within two connected divisions:
Our Government Advisory teams work directly with political leaders and governments around the world to implement reforms that improve the lives of their citizens. It has both non-profit partners and a client base and its outputs cover a range of disciplines and projects across countries in Africa, the Middle East, Eastern Europe and South Asia.
Our Policy Futures work encompasses three broad areas:
- Renewing the Centre: developing a bold and innovative domestic policy programme to help renew the centre ground of British politics
- Tech and Public Policy: exploring the policy challenges and opportunities presented by the technological revolution; and
- Extremism Policy Unit: creating solutions designed to tackle the threat of extremist ideologies in the UK and around the world
As an organisation the core beliefs we all embrace are:
- Open and Progressive: you’ll believe in the value of teamwork
- Bold and Pragmatic: you’ll approach everything you do with integrity and authenticity
- Optimistic Changemakers: you’ll be focused on results
TBI believes embracing diversity and inclusion make us a better place to work. It’s our goal to reflect everyone in society and we actively welcome applications from individuals and groups who are under-represented in the workplace. We celebrate difference be it ethnicity, religion, age, gender or gender identity, sexual orientation or disability. We will only ever assess you on your abilities and fit for a role. We’re happy to discuss any adjustments you need to ensure a level playing field during recruitment and, if you\’re successful, discuss any adjustments you might need to thrive in your role.