The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) recruits 01 GIS Expert ACAPS
ACAPS is dedicated to helping humanitarians make better decisions. We want to put evidence at the heart of decision-making. To achieve this, we collaborate with a variety of partners across the humanitarian sector and beyond. We strive to be an evolving platform providing:
- Independent analysis to support evidence-based decision making for humanitarian operations.
- Innovative approaches to collect more reliable and timely data and conduct rigorous analysis.
- Capacity development of humanitarian actors to carry out better needs assessments and analysis.
Purpose of the position
The post holder will contribute to enhance ACAPS work by developing a geospatial analysis workflow, designing fit-for-purpose maps that will help understand and better communicate our analysis, and by developing the organisations capacity on map production. This will ultimately contribute to that ACAPS is perceived as a leading voice on humanitarian needs analysis.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Standardise the in-house workflow on production of maps
- Develop maps on request from different teams
- Ensure that ACAPS maps convey the message in the most appropriate way and in line with the analysis produced
- Build internal mapping capacity
- Strengthen relationship with key partners
Lead on in-house map production
- Build and maintain a GIS resource library, as well as up-to-date documentation for reference purposes
- Be responsible for the harmonisation of templates, data sources, colour schemes, and all the necessary tools to produce on-brand maps
Ensure effective map production
- Design a new standardised process for GIS data management and mapping
- Engage with ACAPS analysts and ensure existing workflows are understood and taken into account when designing new processes.
- Provide internal mapping and information visualisation training
Qualifications, skills and experience
- Relevant university degree or higher education, preferably in GIS, cartography, Computer science, Geography, Engineering, or any other related field.
- 2-3 years’ experience of using Geographic Information Systems (GIS), proprietary and open source (such as ArcGIS, QGIS etc.)
- Proficiency in English, both verbal and written
- Knowledge of programming languages, such as Python or R is desirable
- Experience from the humanitarian sector desirable
- Good understanding of GIS processes and workflows with experience in designing and implementing new processes
- Strong internal and external stakeholder engagement skills
- Proven high level of expertise in cartography, data visualisation and infographics and related tools
- Proficient in developing designs, visualisations, and presentations from different type of data and a variety of sources
- Strong familiarity with Excel, and with Adobe Suite or other graphics editing tools
- Knowledge of remote sensing techniques, applications and software
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Deciding and Initiating Action
- Planning and delivering results
- Adapting and Responding to Change
- Adhering to Principles and Values
What do we Offer
- Duty Station: Dakar, Senegal
- Contract Length: 12 months
- Salary: According to NRC Senegalese National grade 7 Salary scale
- Start date: As soon as Possible
Closing date: 12 July 2022.