Terre des hommes recruits 01 Surge Support – Emergency Response Coordinator – Palestine
Position Start Date: 1.08.2021
Duration: 5 months
Location: Jerusalem and Gaza bases in Palestine
Terre des hommes does not set closing dates for this position; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled
Tdh opened its delegation in Palestine in 1973 and currently implements a program focused on Access to Justice for children in conflict and in contact with the law and on Child Protection in Gaza and West Bank. The main office is located in Jerusalem with one field office in Gaza. The delegation comprises a total of 7 employees and a number of partners working across all locations where Tdh operates.
The humanitarian situation resulting from the escalation of the hostilities in early May 2021, is dramatically and rapidly deteriorating in Gaza, and West Bank, including Jerusalem with high numbers of casualties in civilians, including children and women.
The Surge Support Emergency Response Coordinator reports to the Country Representative based in Amman and works functionally with the entire coordination team of the Multi Country Delegation, to ensure the Tdh emergency response intervention of Tdh in Palestine is implemented effectively and efficiently.
The purpose of this function is to provide support to the Heads of Offices in Gaza and Jerusalem during the planning and implementation of the emergency response intervention of Tdh in Palestine for a duration of 5 months.
The Surge Support Emergency Response coordinator will have the overall responsibility of coordinating the response at the Palestine mission level, while working in close collaboration and providing direct support to the Gaza HoO and JWB HoO and the entire coordination team, specifically the Programme, Logistic and Security, and Finance Coordinators in planning and implementation of the emergency response intervention in Palestine.
- Emergency Response Project Development and Implementation
- Support the Programme Coordinator in coordinating the proposal writing, budgeting and reporting tasks of the emergency response programme.
- Contribute to needs assessments, proposal drafting as requested; review and edit final versions
- Ensure global coordination of the intervention in Palestine and complementarity amongst projects and areas of intervention.
- Support the Office Heads in Gaza and Jerusalem in launching the project implementation.
- Support the Office Heads in Gaza and Jerusalem in the negotiations with authorities and partners.
- Ensure a proper financial monitoring system of the current projects, including support with the budget planning and follow up tools in close collaboration with the FAHR Coordinator.
- Liaise with the coordination office in Amman and Lausanne HQ with regards to any issue concerning the current projects and relations with authorities and donors.
- Ensure Tdh visibility regarding the Tdh Response Intervention.
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Support the Q&A Coordinator in designing and implementing a monitoring and evaluation plan for the entire emergency response.
- In collaboration with the Office Heads in Gaza and Jerusalem, ensure daily monitoring of activities.
- In coordination with the Q&A Coordinator, monitor and evaluate monthly programme progress and makes recommendations.
- In collaboration with Programme Coordinator ensure follow up on technical remarks.
- Representation and coordination with external stakeholders
- Provide support to the Office Heads and/or participate in the humanitarian response cluster coordination meetings and report on the main outcomes of the meetings.
- Support the Office Heads in donor relations, new donor identification and donor engagement in the country to increase resource mobilization for the response.
- Participate in Donor meetings together with the Office Heads and communicate relevant information to HQ and Amman offices.
- Participate in the INGO Coordination meetings and those of UN Agencies and any other relevant inter-governmental institution.
- Ensure maximum visibility of Tdh amongst the NGO community.
- Lead the production of reports and ensure the timeliness and accuracy of information provided, as well ensuring confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Respect and comply with Terre des hommes security procedures in Palestine.
- Ensure, in coordination with the Security Coordinator and with the support of the Country Representative, that Tdh staff on the ground complies with Tdh security procedures and follow them.
- Receive updates on the security situation in the country, produce and share periodical security updates with the teams.
- Support the Office Heads and the Tdh Security Coordinator in updating the context analysis of the delegation and the security plan whenever it is needed.
- Support the team in drafting security incident report and participate in the security management incidents if necessary.
- Map and document serious incidents geographically in relation to TDH office locations and activity.
- Support with general administration and Logistics in the delegation
- Support to the Office Heads in launching and managing the procurement process during the intervention.
- Support to the FAHR Coordinator and the Office Heads in the visa processes, application for permits, and travel arrangements for the teams on the ground.
- Support with the Recruitment processes.
- Education: University degree in the relevant field
- Language: Excellent oral and writing English skills. Knowledge of Arabic is a plus
- Experience: At least 5 years previous experience in an NGO at a management position in the field (expatriation) and in a similar context.
- At least 2 years of experience in leading a humanitarian response.
- Previous experience in providing surge support in short term missions is preferred.
- Extensive project management experience (management, budgeting, grants management, planning, staff development and training skills) in emergency.
- Ability to travel to Palestine and be available for deployment immediately
- Knowledge and experience in implementing multisectorial interventions in an emergency situation
- Successful track record of developing emergency response interventions and securing high levels of funding from institutional donors (OFDA, DFID, ECHO, UN, etc..)
Please be advised that living conditions in the field (volatile security context, basic living conditions, shared showers/toilets, curfew, restriction of movements, etc.) can be challenging and although Tdh does the necessary to ensure security and wellbeing of the staff, people used to a certain level of comfort might not feel at ease in the field.
Expatriate contract under Swiss regulations 3’400 CHF (~2’950 €) < > 4’750 CHF (~4’100 €) net /month according to experience x 13 times, Vacancy: 25 days annual leaves local accommodation and transportation, Health insurance, accident and medical repatriation insurance, return flight.
Tdh Global Code of Conduct and Risk Management Policies:
- Fully complies with Tdh’s Global Code of Conduct and systematically reports any breach to the Code through the whistleblowing procedure: raises awareness within the Foundation on abuse and violence and the rights deriving therefrom, respecting the rights and dignity of children, members of the communities and our own Staff
- Commits to respecting Risk Management Policies including: Safeguarding Policies (Child Safeguarding Policy, Policy on the Protection against Sexual Exploitation and the Directive on Staff Misconduct at the Workplace), Safety and Security Policy and Anti-Fraud/Corruption and Prevention of the Financing of Criminal Activities Policies
- Commits to reducing the risk of abuse and harm by developing a culture of open and informed leadership within the organization and in our work with children and the communities in which we intervene in.
We offer an exciting and varied work, useful and meaningful, in a team that wants to make a difference for vulnerable children.
Are you interested? Do you want to face this challenge?
Please applying directly online: http://www.jobs.net/j/JYkEeGzG?idpartenaire=20002
Application files sent through our official website will be processed only if complete (CV + cover letter). Additional documents (diplomas, work certificates, etc.) will be requested at a later stage.
We will be in touch with the shortlisted candidates only in the selection process – with the large number of applications received, we unfortunately cannot provide personal follow-up to the larger candidate pool. Thanks for your understanding.
For any questions you can consult the FAQ below the job advertisements.