TDH recruits 01Juvenile Justice and MHPSS Project Manager – Bagdad, Iraq
Position Start Date: as soon as possible
Duration: 12 months
Location: Bagdad – Iraq
Terre des hommes does not set closing dates for this position; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled
Terre des hommes (Tdh) is the largest Swiss children’s relief organization. Since 1960, Tdh has been helping to build a better future for disadvantaged children and their communities through innovative and sustainable solutions. Present in 32 countries with an operational budget of more than 90 million Swiss francs, Tdh works with local and international partners to develop and implement in-field projects that improve daily lives of more than three million children and their families in the areas of health, protection and emergency. Our mission is financed by individual and institutional donors, with administrative costs kept to a minimum.
In 2015, Tdh launched an integrated emergency WaSH, Child Protection and NFI response, following several waves of IDPs resulting from military operations to free Shirgat districts, as well as the South Mossul Corridor.
In the region of Bagdad, Mental health issues observed in detention centers show high rates of trauma related disorders, depression and aggressive behaviour. Some of the children also adhere to violent attitudes in relation to their experiences with armed groups. In addition, the majority of children deprived of their liberty are generally treated with suspicion / stigma, which creates barriers to their reintegration, no matter the crime they might or might not have committed. In response to these problematics, Tdh is now intervening in the detention facilities to provide support to children and youth through a new innovative project.
Tdh with its 300 staff employees is currently implementing a 12 Million CHF emergency and rehabilitation Program, throughout the country.
Tdh aims to provide support to children and youth in Baghdad detention facilities through an innovative pilot project combining specialized mental health and psychosocial support (MHPSS) services with a de-radicalization/disengagement from violence curriculum, supported by a partnership with Bielefeld University, to enable them to move forward with their lives as peaceful and productive members of society. Additionally, awareness work with the communities on social cohesion will help the children and youth reintegrate into the society. Tdh’s approach to Access to Justice and Child Protection in Emergencies is strongly based on child protection system strengthening, community empowerment objectives, fostered resilience of children and youth with a tailored-made reintegration intervention which includes a specialized MHPSS approach. Therefore civil society and government social workers will be trained on effective mental health and psychosocial approaches.
The JJ and MHPSS PM is responsible for the direct implementation and supervision of the project.
His/her main duties are:
- Ensure planning and implementation of project activities
- Participate in the design and implementation of the curriculum addressing violent extremism (MHPSS focus) in close coordination with programme/technical teams from Tdh and Bielefeld university
- Provide guidance and supervision to lay counsellors
- Design MHPSS group sessions for community members, train and supervise community mobilizers
- Provide training to government and civil society social workers
- Monitoring and reporting, in coordination with the MEAL team at the Iraq Delegation
- Coordination, reporting and participation within the Technical Task Force formed by Tdh and University of Bielefeld selected staff.
Program Planning and Implementation
- Develop, implement and monitor the JJ MHPSS project in the intervention areas, with a primary focus on the Juvenile Justice, in accordance with the proposals, grounding standards and principles.
- Lead planning and implementation of activities develop necessary tools to support the project’s implementation.
- Contribute to the initial and regular assessments of the JJ MHPSS project impact.
- Forecast and follow up on expenditures in coordination with finance and admin colleagues at Tdh.
- Participate in budget revision exercises.
- Prepare timely purchase requests in line with the JJ MHPSS project project needs.
- Identify logistic and admin support needs related to the JJ MHPSS project and communicate these to the relevant log/admin support person.
- Ensure the compliance of the activities with the internal and sector quality standards
- Regularly take stock of the context and assess needs. Participate, with the JJ Coordinator and the Deputy Country Representative, in the development of complementary projects to scale up Tdh’s JJ programming
- Supervise all staff assigned to the project, as well as consultants recruited to support and/or undertake specific activities.
- Responsible for team members daily performance and the development of their daily/weekly/monthly work plan.
- Carry out necessary recruitment process when needed, in respect to the local regulations, in collaboration with the with the HR department and the JJ Coordinator
- Draft JDs and recruitment requests, design tests and interviews.
- Lead appraisal exercises with directly supervised staff and support supervisors in leading appraisal with their teams.
- Promote a constructive, motivational and respectful working environment within the team.
Provide capacity building to Tdh staff and partners’ staff
- Provide training and capacity building to project’s staff supported by the MHPSS Specialist and the JJ coordinator at Tdh Iraq mission.
- Ensure technical oversight and field-monitoring of the program staff in close coordination with program managers, notably to ensure quality control and adequate implementation of the planned tools and frameworks
- Train partners staff with tailor made training
Monitoring and Reporting:
- Lead the JJ MHPSS team in ensuring proficient information management, monitoring and evaluation and information sharing. With the supports of the MEAL staff, s/he is in charge of the management and consolidation of databases.
- In coordination with the MEAL department, s/he is tasked with data protection assurance.
- In coordination with the MEAL department, s/he ensures to lead programme compliance key actions, including developing, implementing, archiving of source of verification on a regular basis.
- Review the progress of the project on monthly basis through reporting on the Indicator Follow Up and reflect the analysis in modification of work-plans
- Provides the coordination with the inputs for regular donor and internal reports
- Report on Activity Info
- Regularly liaise with directorate of relevant ministries at governorate and district level, specifically with the MoJ, MoLSA and MOH.
- Under the supervision of the JJ coordinator, coordinate activities with the implemented partner
- Under the supervision of the JJ coordinator, reporting and participation within the Technical Task Force formed by Tdh and University of Bielefeld selected staff.
- Coordinate with other humanitarian partners within the area of responsibility, actively participate to coordination mechanisms including the MHPSS working group and the Child Protection working group.
- Ensure full coordination with communities and community-leaders.
- Promote coordination and integration with other sectors within Tdh
- Travel within Iraq and inside KRI, as needed, on mission and for training.
- Maintain and ensure a culture of strict confidentiality – among Tdh staff and between Tdh staff and non-Tdh employees or beneficiaries.
- Undertake all other duties as assigned by the JJ Coordinator that are compatible with the job.
- Professional University degree in social sciences, in social work, or in a relevant field (Master’s degree preferred);
- 3 years relevant work experience in MHPSS and/or Juvenile Justice programs. At least 1 within I/NGOs or agencies
- Experience in individual counselling.
- Proven capacity in project cycle management
- Prior experience working in emergency settings or insecure environments is preferable.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, effective in representation and liaison with external parties.
- Proven ability to work as part of a team and lead teams for strive for result.
- Demonstrated experience in capacity building and mentoring of national and staff is desirable.
- Personal qualities: Works well in and promotes teamwork, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, flexible and able to handle pressure well, adaptability to context with limited social and entertainment opportunities.
- Fluency in English required (spoken and written), knowledge of Arabic is a strong asset.
- Experience in research is an asset.
- Previous experience in the MENA region is an asset.
Please be advised that living conditions in the field (volatile security context, basic living conditions, shared showers/toilets, curfew, restriction of movements, etc.) can be challenging and although Tdh does the necessary to ensure security and wellbeing of the staff, people used to a certain level of comfort might not feel at ease in the field.
Expatriate contract under Swiss labor code; salary range: 2’950 CHF (~2’550 €) < > 4’300 CHF (~3’700 €) net /month (according to experience) x 13.
Holidays: 25 annual leave days per year.
Local accommodation and transportation, health insurance, accident and medical repatriation insurance, return flight.
Duration: 6 months
Tdh Global Code of Conduct and Risk Management Policies:
- Fully complies with Tdh’s Global Code of Conduct and systematically reports any breach to the Code through the whistleblowing procedure: raises awareness within the Foundation on abuse and violence and the rights deriving therefrom, respecting the rights and dignity of children, members of the communities and our own Staff
- Commits to respecting Risk Management Policies including: Safeguarding Policies (Child Safeguarding Policy, Policy on the Protection against Sexual Exploitation and the Directive on Staff Misconduct at the Workplace), Safety and Security Policy and Anti-Fraud/Corruption and Prevention of the Financing of Criminal Activities Policies
- Commits to reducing the risk of abuse and harm by developing a culture of open and informed leadership within the organization and in our work with children and the communities in which we intervene in.
We offer an exciting and varied work, useful and meaningful, in a team that wants to make a difference for vulnerable children.
Are you interested? Do you want to face this challenge?
Please applying directly online: http://www.jobs.net/j/JqCBcKDj?idpartenaire=20002
Application files sent through our official website will be processed only if complete (CV + cover letter). Additional documents (diplomas, work certificates, etc.) will be requested at a later stage.
We will be in touch with the shortlisted candidates only in the selection process – with the large number of applications received, we unfortunately cannot provide personal follow-up to the larger candidate pool. Thanks for your understanding.
For any questions you can consult the FAQ below the job advertisements.
To know more about Terre des hommes: https://vimeo.com/253387418