Application Deadline: 24 January 2016
Do you want to be a part of an international network of emerging leaders focused on responsible leadership and sustainable business practices? Join the Swedish Institute Management Programme (SIMP) Africa.
The Swedish Institute Management programme is a unique programme for managers from Africa, Europe and Asia. The programme offers a combination of theory and practice, including advanced business-related problem-solving, seminars and meetings with prominent experts in the commercial, political and cultural fields, as well as company visits.
SIMP Africa is partly funded by the Swedish Government and aims at emerging leaders from Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda, Ethiopia and Zambia. The programme curriculum revolves around advanced business-related problem solving, seminars and meetings with front figures in the commercial, political and cultural fields, as well as on-site company visits. By providing the platform for knowledge sharing, experience exchange and quality networking, the programme aims to challenge traditional approaches, reinforce professional skills, deepen cross-cultural perspectives and unite the participants in a long-lasting and active global network.
The programme, spread over seven months, comprises three weeks of intensive training divided into an introductory kick-off at the Swedish Embassy in each country, a two week module in Sweden and a concluding five day module in Africa.
The programme comprises of three weeks of intensive work spread over approximately four months, allowing the participants:
- to understand the nature and business potential of Corporate Responsibility and to test Corporate Responsibility tools applicable to their own company
- to widen their personal and professional network both in Sweden and in their home countries
- to deepen their knowledge of modern international business and increase their cultural awareness
The aim of the programme is to build a network consisting of people interested in the process of promoting enhanced relations and business cooperation between Sweden, Africa, Europe and Asia.
During the programme, the participant will work closely with management level in a Swedish company/public administration on real time case studies to understand how they are dealt with currently in the respective organisations and what best practices can be taken back.
The programme is designed to uncover the advanced concepts and practical tools required for leaders to succeed in today’s global world. The programme participants will work in diverse teams in order to engage different thoughts and experiences of the participants. The idea is to create hands on approach and an opportunity to apply your knowledge of management and corporate responsibility in other businesses/sectors.
- You are a progressive and open-minded leader in your mid-career between the age of 25 and 45, looking to broaden your management skills and holistic approach to business.
- You are in a leading position within trade, industry or the public sector, and aspire to sharpen your business mind, integrate sustainability in your business strategy and increase your global network of like-minded leaders.
- Candidate must be citizen of Ethiopia, Tanzania, Kenya, Rwanda or Zambia and be a resident of one of the selected countries
- Should preferably be working for a local organization/company or running their own enterprise in of one of the selected countries*
- Should be in a position to drive decisions and formulate strategies for the business – mid or senior level management
- Interested in finding new, innovative ways to integrate social, environmental and ethical concerns into their core business models
- Candidate must be fluent in spoken and written English
- The advisable age of the candidate should be between 25 – 45 years*
- Flexible and open minded
- High level of integrity
- Ambitious and progressive
- Internationally oriented
- Kick-off: Introduction meeting at the Swedish Embassy in each country, June 2016*
Content: Programme overview, practical information, project introduction, networking and lunch at the Swedish Embassy.
- Module 1: Sustainable business, management and responsible leadership, Sweden, 11–24 September, 2016
Content: leadership in a globalised world; how corporate responsibility relates to successful business with regard to strategies, innovation and production; an exclusive visit to a modern Swedish business location or public administration; coaching of a project in the participant’s own organisation; a cultural excursion in Sweden.
- Module 2: Corporate responsibility in practice, Africa, 14 – 18 February, 2017
Content: in-depth analysis of well-defined business problems and focus on the projects in the participant’s own organisation; custom-made coaching; Corporate responsibility from a regional perspective; networking with selected guests from the regional business arena, as well as Swedish representatives.
- International network of companies and future top management
- Access to the knowledge of top leaders in business and the public sector
- Insights in corporate responsibility
- Increased personal competitiveness on a global level
- Management training, tools and contacts for personal development
Accommodation, food and travel
- The programme is free of charge and costs related to accommodation, food and transport while in Sweden is covered by the Swedish Institute.
- For module 1, flight tickets to and from Sweden is also covered by the Swedish Institute.
- Module 2 will take place in one of the selected countries in Africa and each participant is responsible for arranging and paying for their own air travel to the location of the second module.
- Participants are also responsible for costs related to transport within their own countries.
- During the programme in Sweden all participants will be insured against acute illness and accident through the Swedish State Group Insurance and personal insurance byThe Swedish Legal, Financial and Administrative Service Agency(Kammarkollegiet).
For More Information: