Submit Your Applications for CHEJ Small Grants Program in United States
Deadline: 6 September 2019
The Center for Health, Environment & Justice (CHEJ) is seeking applications from grassroots groups working on environmental health and justice issues for its Small Grants Program to support projects that help groups move toward their goals by building leadership, increasing capacity and/or providing trainingand education.
A priority of CHEJ’s Small Grants Program is to help grassroots community groups to build their capacity. The program is designed to especially reach people from low wealth communities and communities of color who are impacted by environmental harms.
Grant activities can include board development, membership outreach, and fundraising efforts. Project activities could also include meetings to develop an organizing/strategic plan, training leaders to go door-to-door, events, educational activities which are directly connected to applicants strategic plan, or general events. It is recommended that project activities be creative, effective and strategic.
- The grant application is different for different sized organizations. Small organizations and all volunteer groups with budgets under $50,000. Grants are available in this tier range from $1,000 to $5,000.
- For organizations with budgets no greater than $250,000. This tier of the program will provide support from $5,000 to $10,000.
- Larger organizations with budgets over $250,000. This tier of the program will support projects with grants from $10,000 to $20,000.
- If applicants are a grassroots group, but are not incorporated and do not have a bank account, applicants will need to find an organization that can accept the funds for applicants group, such as a faith-based organization or other non-profit who will serve as applicants “fiscal sponsor”.
Projects they are not likely to fund:
- Film Production
- Community Gardens
- National Organizations
- Legal Assistance
- Market Campaigns
- Natural Environmental Protections
- Food Banks
- Organization Outside of the United States
- National Campaigns, (except local/statewide group specific efforts may fit into a campaign)
- They no longer can fund environmental testing
- Groups with annual budget over one million dollars
- Legislative Lobbying
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted at the address given on the website.
For more information, please visit http://chej.org/chej-small-grants-program/