SOS MEDITERRANEE recrute 01 Deputy director of operations (Search And Rescue – Central Mediterranean)
Humanitaire (ONG, Associations, …), Projet/programme de développement
DEPUTY DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS (Search And Rescue – Central Mediterranean) based in Marseille
Context:SOS MEDITERRANEE is a civil European association for rescue at sea founded in 2015. Facing the humanitarian tragedy and the lack of adequate rescue capacity in the Mediterranean on the deadliest migratory route in the world, a group of European citizens created a maritime and humanitarian association in order to : rescue the persons in distress at sea, protect and assist them, as well as testify about the realities and many faces of migration.
Today, SOS MEDITERRANEE is a network composed of four national associations (Germany, France, Italy and Switzerland) sharing the same mandate. Search and Rescue (SAR) operations have been carried out since February 2016 in the Central Mediterranean off the Libyan coast, first with the ship Aquarius, and since July 2019 with the Ocean Viking, both chartered by SOS MEDITERRANEE and operated in partnership with Médecins sans Frontières. SOS MEDITERRANEE is operating the Ocean Viking independently since April 2020. Since February 2016, the teams on the Aquarius and the Ocean Viking have been able to rescue and assist more than 31 000 persons. The operations cost today around 7 M€ per year and are financed mostly by private donations.
Position :SOS MEDITERRANEE is recruiting asap a replacement for the position of Deputy Director for its Department of Operations. Based in Marseille (France) under the responsibility of SOS MEDITERRANEE’s Director of Operations, the Deputy Director of Operations contributes to defining SOS MEDITERRANEE’s operational strategy and conducting safely the Search and Rescue operations at sea. He/she is assisting the Director of Operations to coordinate the development of the Operations Department in a challenging, highly sensitive and quick evolving European environment.
Description of tasks and responsibilities :The Deputy Director of Operations is assisting the Director of Operations for the development, the management and implementation of SOS MEDITERRANEE’s humanitarian Search and Rescue mission. According to the priorities defined by the Director of Operations, he/she is contributing to the management of the various aspects of the SAR mission in the Mediterranean: human resources, logistics, security, finance and communication. He/she participates to the needs assessment and to the development of SOS MEDITERRANEE’s humanitarian/maritime operational framework and partnerships. He/she contributes to the response, observation, adaptation, monitoring and evaluation of the SAR project at sea. He/she replaces the Director of Operations when necessary.
The Deputy Director of Operations is part of the on-shore operational team composed by : the Communication Manager, the Audiovisual Communication Officer, the SAR Manager, the Maritime Manager, the Logistic & Administration coordinator, the HR and administrative Officer and the Director of Operations.
Humanitarian SAR project management :· Participates in preparing the development of a short-, mid- and long-term strategy for SOS MEDITERRANEE’s humanitarian SAR project.
· Participates in elaborating, implementing, monitoring and adapting operational decisions to the operational constraints.
· Participates in recruiting, contracting and managing the SOS team (currently 22 members on board including Comms officer, photographer, research & evidence officer), including managing briefings and de-briefings.
· Assists the Director of Operations in the management of the Operations team on the ship (remotely from shore and especially during ports of call).
· Assists the Director of Operations in supervising technical and logistical needs for the SAR operations, with the help of SOS MEDITERRANEE’s operations team (SAR and Maritime managers and Logistic& admin coordinator) or external specialists / technicians on shore.
· Assists the Director of Operations in the management of security and initiates critical incident response if/when these occur.
· Participates in the institutional representation of SOS MEDITERRANEE, in particular for operational SAR and security matters, other SAR NGOs, local authorities etc.
· Participates in the development and management of potential operational partnership
· Participates in the monitoring and analysis of SOS MEDITERRANEE’s context of operations (geopolitical, maritime etc.).
Operations department management :· Participates in managing the team of the Operations department in SOS MEDITERRANEE’s headquarters.
· Contributes to the preparation of the Operations department’s budget.
· Participates in national/international coordination meetings within SOS MEDITERRANEE’s network.
· Maintains close cooperation with SOS MEDITERRANEE’s European Executive Committee and its member associations. Contributes to report the Department of Operations activities to the Executive Committee
· Represents the Operations department in SOS MEDITERRANEE working groups and Sub-committees.
Experience / Training
Job qualifications and requirements :· Significant work experience in the management of complex humanitarian projects, including in emergency situations
· Demonstrated skills in the management of projects and security in unstable and crisis contexts.
· Committed to the vision, mission and values of SOS MEDITERRANEE.
· Proven management skills.
· Flexibility and adaptability
· Sound teamwork experience
· Ability to work in an international structure with a strong civil mobilization and many volunteers.
· Readiness to take decisions and responsibilities.
· Excellent reporting ability.
· Familiarity with MS Office and skilled in the use of ICT.
· Master Degree in Political Sciences, International Relations or other related field is an advantage.
· Knowledge and understanding of ship management structures and practices, charter parties and related issues are an advantage.
· Knowledge of migration issues and context of the Mediterranean are an advantage.
Spoken Languages :· Perfect spoken & written fluency in English.
· Fluency in French is an asset, knowledge of Arabic, Italian and/or German an advantage.
Function: manager, direction, executive status
Terms of contract:
· 1 year full time replacement contract.
· Starting as soon as possible
· Based in Marseille
· Regular Europe-wide travel
· Regular evenings and week-end work
· Week-end and holidays on-call duties.
Remuneration: gross monthly salary : 3830 € + 10% of total gross salary at the end of contract
Salary advantages: Ticket restaurant, French health complementary insurance. Five weeks of paid leaves and recovery for extra hours
How to applyPlease send your application (CV and cover letter) in English no later than 25th November 2020 via email to email@example.com and indicate “Application Deputy Director of Operations” as the subject of the email. Kindly note that no information will be given by telephone.
FunctionsManagement & Administration
Contract# FIXED-TERM CONTRACT
Areas of activity# MIGRATION# HUMAN RIGHTS
Country# EUROPE# FRANCE