Solthis recruits 01 HIV Medical Officer
Solthis is an international medical NGO which contributes to the strengthening of health systems to improve the access to quality care in countries with limited resources and/or with the vulnerable populations. Solthis is registered and has been operating in Sierra Leone since 2011 where our teams have been providing comprehensive technical support at both health facility, national and community levels to improve quality of HIV care.
By 2019, Solthis will work towards consolidating its interventions and operationalizing its strategy for long lasting development that relies on the principle of non-substitution. In particular, Solthis is implementing the second phase of the “Empower Project” which aims to empower users for improved quality of patient-centred HIV Care & Services. This right-based approach project relies on the recognition that strengthening both the demand and supply side of Health Services is the key for success. Our interventions seek to strengthen and build capacity at the national level, health facility level and the community level. Our key partners are the Network of HIV Positives in Sierra Leone (NETHIPS) for the Civil Society component, the National Aids Secretariat and the National Aids/HIV Control Program (NACP) for the medical one. In 2019, Solthis is also entering into a partnership with ACF (Action against Hunger) with the purpose of streamlining HIV in their project focused on RMNACH quality of care improvement.
Based in Freetown and under the supervision of Solthis Medical Coordinator, the Medical Officer main responsibilities are to improve HIV care quality and to build the capacities of health workers with respect to adult and paediatric care and eMTCT: trainings, post training follow-up, clinical mentoring, on-site support.
He/she supervise the Empower 2 eMTCT officer.
He/She maintains effective working relationship with the other Medical Team members to ensure coherence and proper coordination of medical activities. When required, he/she also participate in the implementation of community oriented activities of the HIV Program, in close collaboration with the Community team.
He/She facilitates cohesive and supportive collaboration between the health facility teams and Solthis teams, building confidence and teamwork among those involved.
Specific Tasks and responsibilities
HIV Care Quality improvement (QI) & Capacity building of healthcare workers
- Implement project activities according to Solthis’ standards for capacity building, quality improvement, training & mentoring
- Conduct capacity needs’ assessment
- Organize & animate participatory assessment workshop and Quality Improvement workshops in health facilities with management teams, DHMT representatives
- Provide onsite guidance and support to improve quality and organization of care and promote involvement of all stakeholders.
- Support HCW on data management and analysis that will be used in quality improvement work
- Support for the organization of care: drafting standard care procedures, ART dispensation based on Differentiated Care Model, re-organization of the patient flow, involvement of health mediators, re-organization of the system of consultations and file archiving, implementation of Post Exposure Prophylaxis System.
- Ensure Implementation by HCWs/DHMT and follow up of the road map for improved quality of care by the health facilities.
- Build the skills of the Health Care Workers with respect to the package of care of HIV (counseling, testing, diagnosis, prophylaxis, care and treatment management, OI management, TB/HIV co-infection, dispensing & adherence support, data management & analysis, patient-provider relationship, Infection Prevention and Control)
- Conduct trainings needs assessment of HCWs and build a training plan including class-room training & on site mentoring
- Develop training programs and didactic materials for HCWs
- Organize and conduct classroom and/or on-site trainings, post training follow-up, internship placements, clinical mentoring
- Participate in the monitoring and reporting of trainings
- Conduct Joint-supportive supervision with District Management Teams.
- Contribute to the integration of care with the involvement and coordination of all HCWs from various units at the supported sites (Maternity, Labour, Pharmacy, TB, nutrition, under 5 clinics…)
Technical Support to district coordination bodies and representation of Solthis expertise
- Give support to District Health Management Team (DHMT) to ensure the integration of HIV in their routine activities and give feedback on the activities implemented in health facilities
- Represent Solthis and attend coordination meetings relevant to the project
- Contribute to Solthis’ advocacy based on a right-based approach, in favor of free access to quality HIV care & services for all, free of stigma and discrimination
Monitoring and Evaluation/ Project Reporting
- Follow-up and reporting of project indicators related to medical activities: Elaborate monthly reports
- Participate in the annual reporting as well as to donor reporting
Human Resources Management and Supervision
- Provide direct supervision to the eMTCT Officer: set the objectives, follow up and assessment for eMTCT activities across all sites
- Coordinate activities between the different team members with respect to implementation of eMTCT activities.
- Maintain effective working Relationships with all members of the team, involved in the same project and others
- Medical doctor with strong experience (at least 2 years) and interest for HIV care
- Knowledge in public health, especially in the field of HIV care (included basic data management & analysis skills)
- Experience in resource-limited settings would be an asset
- Previous experience working with national HIV programs will be an asset
- Experience in training and mentoring and supervision of staff
- Experience in team management, ability to work in multi-cultural teams
- Experience in project management
- Fluent English
- Good computer skills
- Good interpersonal and oral communication skills
- Strong capacity to listen and to share
- Good analytical, writing and presentation skills
- Well Organized, Rigorous
- Location : Freetown, Sierra Leone (with some missions in-country)
- Type of contract: fixed-term contract
- Length of contract : 1 year (with possibility of extension for the duration of the project)
- Starting date : ASAP
- Salary: according to professional experience + package (medical and repatriation insurance, shared transport, monthly living and housing allowances, other social advantages as unemployment insurance and pension contribution)
Submission of applications:
Please send your application in English (CV, cover letter, 3 references, dates of availability) to email@example.com quoting reference “Empower 2 HIV medical officer”, by June 30th, 2019.
Solthis reserves the right to close any vacancy before the advertised deadline. Thank you for your understanding.