We are looking for an experienced development professional to provide technical and thematical leadership to our health programme in Mozambique. The recruited person will also have direct project responsibility and manage our new project on Cholera Control.
Contract Type Fixed term appointment (minimum 3 years)
Place of Assignment Cabo Delgado or Nampula province, to be determined (with regular travel to all SolidarMed project sites in Mozambique)
Start of Contract May 2022 onwards
SolidarMed Mozambique implements a broad portfolio of projects aimed at effectively improving health outcomes and strengthening health systems. Our programme is expanding its activities from Cabo Delgado to Nampula province. In addition to strengthening the health system, SM is developing multi-disciplinary projects targeting the determinants of health. 2022 will see the start of a large multi-disciplinary multi-year project to eliminate Cholera. Additional innovative approaches will be drivers of growth for the SolidarMed Mozambique programme over the next 3 to 5 years. SolidarMed is a respected partner of the Ministry of Health and recognized for its important contribution to better health care in Mozambique. SolidarMed now seeks an outstanding individual who will bring solid technical expertise and strong motivation to oversee this programme expansion. The technical director will operate under the leadership of and work in close collaboration with the Country Director. He/She will oversee and guarantee the technical and methodological soundness of all programme activities as well as lead the implementation of the cholera project.
Your tasks and responsibilities as Technical Director
- Provide technical oversight, strategic direction and definition of appropriate project activities.
- Provide technical direction as well as mentoring and capacity building at the individual and organizational level to the project teams.
- Establish and implement a system to ensure technical quality of project activities.
- Develop technical components of annual work plans, write the technical sections of yearly reports, and ensure project objectives and deliverables are met in a timely manner.
- Lead the formulation of innovative approaches for scale up of targeted services.
Engage with MOH and Partners
- Represent SolidarMed Mozambique at national level, in technical workgroups and other consultative bodies.
- Collaborate with all local stakeholders and implementing partners, especially the Ministry of Health and implementing partners, to ensure that all activities are conform with the requirements and regulations.
- Contribute to programme- and project development; actively promote generation of new project ideas in the team and contribute to fundraising in Mozambique.
Your tasks and responsibilities for the cholera Project
- Coordinate with stakeholders such as the District, Provincial health directorates and Ministry of health.
- Recruit, supervise and support a local project team.
- Ensure proper monitoring of activities, data collection and analysis. Participate in publication and dissemination of results.
- Develop the periodic work plans and reports according to agreed milestones.
- Ensure proper management of the project resources (human, financial, material resources).
- Public Health expert or Medical Doctor (MD) with experience in public health, preferably in low resource settings.
- 7 to 8 years’ experience in a senior management position, with proven track record of strong management skills with complex programs and large staff.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills in English.
- Ability to pragmatically solve problems, plan a course of action using analytical, conceptual, strategic and forward-thinking abilities to achieve an effective resolution.
- Demonstrated experience in the design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development and health programmes.
- Ability to demonstrate support for innovation and organizational changes needed to improve the organization’s effectiveness; helping others to successfully manage organizational change.
- Demonstrated high-level interpersonal and cross-cultural skills including the ability to build collaborative relationships internally and externally with sensitivity to cultural, ethnic, social and political issues. Experience in dealing with institutional donors and government officials.
- Coalition building capabilities, external networking and experience in developing strategic partnerships.
- Self-motivated, energetic, hard-working, entrepreneurial and service-oriented.
- An attractive benefit package, professional development opportunities and stimulating links with competence networks.
- A professionally run, innovative programme focused on health.
- Family posting possible
How to apply
Please email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org citing reference “Technical Director Mozambique” and include
- your CV including 3 references (max. 2 pages).
- a covering letter outlining your motivation and how you meet the requirements.
- copies of your qualifications.
Applications are accepted in electronic format only. Please also mention how you heard about the job posting (if internet, please mention which site).
Due to the high volume of applications, SolidarMed will only contact shortlisted candidates. We kindly ask you not to send in duplicate or hard copies of your CV.
Deadline for applications 8 January 2022
For further details contact Anne Jores (email@example.com)