||Solidar Suisse is a Swiss International NGO founded in 1936 and member of the European Solidar network. We support and implement projects in the fields of Decent Work, Governance, and Humanitarian Aid in 14 countries worldwide.
IDAI Programme Coordinator
Duty station: Chimoio, Mozambique
Starting date: Mid-November, ASAP
Duration: 12 months, renewable
Reporting line: Solidar Country Coordinator
Cyclone Idai killed hundreds of people and left widespread flooding in Mozambique. Solidar Suisse has been implementing development projects in the affected provinces for many years. Currently, Solidar is implementing a comprehensive emergency and recovery response with thematic focus on WASH and Food Security/Livelihood.
We look for a senior humanitarian aid professional to lead the Idai response. The Programme Coordinator will be responsible and accountable for developing, coordinating and managing emergency and recovery projects and lead the implementation by supervising and coaching the project teams.
Responsibilities and key tasks
- Programme Management: Manage the Idai emergency response. Coordinate assessments and lead the development of recovery project plans and budgets within the framework of the agreed response strategy. Elaborate project proposals.
- Project Management and Implementation: Ensure implementation of projects according to schedule and budget in compliance with set standards, principles and guidelines of Solidar and its donors. Develop work plans and corresponding budget plans with clearly stated milestones contributing to the achievement of target outputs and outcomes defined in the project document. Define operating procedures and elaborate necessary tools to ensure systematic and effective implementation. Guide the project managers and team in development and implementation of activity plans.
- Monitoring Evaluation Accountability and Learning: Monitor the overall humanitarian context and adjust projects and activities accordingly. Ensure adequate monitoring systems and procedures are in place. Ensure compliance with quality standards and donor regulations. Oversee the implementation and regular review of the Feedback and Complaints Mechanism and ensure appropriate beneficiary communication.
- Leadership and Staff Management: Lead Solidar’s Idai team by providing leadership, guidance, and supervision. Ensure personnel understand and carry out their duties in accordance with humanitarian principles, core humanitarian standards, and the Code of Conduct. Recruit national project staff according to project budgets.
- Financial Management and Budget Control: Manage project and donor budgets, closely monitor budgets versus expenditures and provide sound forecasts. Ensures timely submission of financial reports to Headquarters.
- Local Donor Management: Liaise and follow-up with local donors. Draft and write project proposals and negotiate new funding opportunities according to the capacity and in line with response strategy.
- Reporting: Provide timely monthly and quarterly project reports. Elaborate high quality interim and final reports for back donors ensuring they are in line with donor guidelines and demonstrate sound resource management, judgment, continual improvement and accountability.
- Representation: Ensure effective coordination within the interagency coordination system, in close coordination with the Solidar Country Coordinator. Establish and maintain constructive working relationships with other NGO’s, UN agencies, host government, and other stakeholders.
- Communication and visibility: Manage field visits, including visits from media, donor and HQ representatives. Ensure visibility of Solidar’s work among the humanitarian community in Mozambique.
- A university degree (or equivalent) in relevant subject such as international development cooperation, humanitarian aid, management or related areas;
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in senior management positions for NGOs in humanitarian contexts;
- Strong understanding of the humanitarian operating context and the humanitarian system;
- Knowledge of the context in Mozambique / Southern Africa;
- Strong analytical and strategic planning skills;
- Thematic knowledge in WASH and Food Security/Livelihoods;
- Ability to lead a team under difficult circumstances;
- Strong communication, reporting and negotiation skills; proficiency in oral and written English and excellent communication skills in Portuguese;
- Confirmed experience and ability to manage a complex budget across multiple donors and ensure donor compliance and financial reporting;
- Independent and proactive working style;
- Empathy with Solidar’s vision, mission and values.
Duration and starting date
We look for a candidate who is able to start Mid-November ASAP, with contract duration of 12 months, renewable. Please send your application including detailed CV, and contact details of 3 referees by e-mail with Subject “Idai Programme Coordinator” to email@example.com no later than September 30, 2019. The position will be filled on a rolling basis.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.