Market System Development (MDM) specialist -2-positions
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Contract type: National employment contract
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organization. Founded in the Netherlands 50 years ago, we have built a long-term, local presence in more than 26 of the poorest countries in Asia, Africa, and Latin America. Our global team of local and international advisors works with local partners to equip communities, businesses, and organizations with the tools, knowledge and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services – empowering them to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own development.
SNV, Netherlands Development Organization, is operating in Ethiopia since the 1970s. Currently, SNV-Ethiopia is working in the eight+ regional states of Ethiopia which include– Addis Ababa, Dire Dawa, Afar, Somali, Gambella, Benishangul, SNNP, Oromia, Amhara and Tigray regional states, providing technical assistance and program implementation in the major three sectors including Agriculture, WASH, and Energy. SNV is an open and learning organization that focuses on improving the lives of Ethiopian through a market based approach inclusive of women and youth. In its new Strategic Plan period (2019 – 2022), SNV will more explicitly aim for systems change including strengthening institutions and kick-starting markets that help many more to escape poverty beyond our projects.
For more information on SNV’s operations, visit our website: www.snvworld.org.
Currently, SNV in partnership with Consortium Partners (Save the Children, Mercy Corps and TechnoServe) is implementing a “Livelihoods Improvement for Women and Youth (LI-WAY) project in Addis Ababa with financial support from the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida). The overall objective of the programme is to contribute to sustainable poverty reduction, improved gender relations and social stability in Addis Ababa. Specifically, the programme aims to improve the livelihoods of 200,000 poor people, of whom at least 50% are women and 75% young people, by increasing incomes and improving access to economic opportunities in Addis Ababa.
As the programme is using M4P approach for its design and implementation, it will achieve the above-mentioned objectives by facilitating market-based systemic changes working through key market players. Therefore, creating a common understanding among the implementing partners of the programme (private and government actors) is critical for the successful implementation of the programme objectives and interventions.
As part of its capacity building intervention, SNV is looking for professional and experienced Market System Development specialist (MSD)(for key implementing activities of LI-WAY programme.
The MSD specialist shall work in close collaboration with Microenterprise sector team including Enterprise development specialist, Microenterprise sector MRM specialist and other sectoral teams of the LI-WAY programme (labour, growth and skills sector staffs).
· The MSD specialist will be responsible for identifying/selection of relevant and potential market systems for the LI-WAY target groups, detailed analysis of the selected market systems to identify the root causes (constraints) that affect the performance of the identified market systems (core function, support functions and rules), and to design strategic interventions to address the identified root causes.
· Identify/select relevant and potential market systems for the LI-WAY target groups.
·Identification, assessment and on boarding of relevant stakeholders/implementing partners/key market players for collaboration with LI-WAY interventions implementation.
·Develop interventions implementation detailed concept note in close collaboration with the identified implementing partners.
· Prepare, share and finalise interventions implementation agreement (sub grant agreements) with the selected implementing partners and facilitate the signing process.
· Provide all the required technical and follow up supports during the implementation of the agreed interventions with the implementing partners;
·The MSD specialist shall ensure all the facilitation related to the development of the enterprise market systems (both the start-up and growing/expanding enterprise are in line with the approach of Making Market Works for Poor approach.
· The MSD specialist shall work closely and collaborate with other technical team members – particularly with the microenterprise sector staffs (Enterprise development specialist, Microenterprise sector MRM specialist) and other sectoral teams of the LI-WAY programme (labour, growth and skills sector staffs) whenever required.
At least a Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Marketing, Entrepreneurship and other related fields.·
At least 5 years direct experience in relevant working areas (technical support to project activities implementation, working with stakeholders, market development, etc.);
Experience in marketing, business development and access to finance; public and private sector development;
Very good professional experience in market systems development and facilitation; experience in facilitating stakeholders’ engagement including assessment of incentives and capacity (attributes and gaps), specifically facilitating private sector involvement.
· Very good knowledge on enterprise business development policies, procedures including range of business support services such as BDS, financing, sales and marketing;
· Very good understanding of range of enterprises development opportunities; strong networking, partnership and interpersonal skills;
· Ability to communicate effectively in oral and in writing, work independently and as part of the team, and work effectively with co-workers, partners and the private sector;
Computer proficiency in MS word, excel, and power point is required.
If you believe that your credentials meet the outlined profile, we invite you to apply by the below link