Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Contract type: National employment contract
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation. Founded in the Netherlands 50 years ago, we have built a long-term, local presence in 39 of the poorest countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. Our global team of local and international advisors works with local partners to equip communities, businesses and organisations with the tools, knowledge and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services – empowering them to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own development.
For more information on SNV’s operations, visit our website: www.snvworld.org
SNV Netherlands Development Organisation Ethiopia seeks to fill the following position :
Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist
Duty station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
SNV Ethiopia – in collaboration with CARE Ethiopia, ORDA, REST and Agri Service Ethiopia – is implementing the 5-year, USAID-funded Feed the Future project Ethiopia: Livelihoods for Resilience Activity. The project is being implemented since 2017 in three regions in Amhara, SNNPR and Tigray across 27 woredas.
The goal of the Livelihoods for Resilience Activity is to reduce food insecurity and increase resilience of households (HHs) in highland areas in three regions (Amhara, Tigray and SNNPR) in rural Ethiopia. In particular, the purpose of the Livelihoods for Resilience Activity is to enable 97,900 chronically food insecure households to graduate from the PSNP with resilience. SNV is taking the lead role on value chains/market systems development through building the capacity of implementing partners, the private sector and other stakeholders.
For more information on our operations in Ethiopia, visit our website: www.snvworld.org
Overview of the position
The Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist will be a member of the SNV Ethiopia team based in Addis Ababa and will be responsible for preparing performance progress reports related to M&E, coordinating the mid-term and final evaluations of the project, assisting SNV’s technical experts in ensuring data quality control, and ensuring documentation of project activities and sharing of field level experiences. The detailed tasks and expected results are described below..
1. Monitoring and Evaluation
. Maintain project compliance to Charities and Socities Agency (ChSA) & regional partners/signatories (and their respective offices in the zone and woredas) with regard to timely submission of performance progress reports.
· Take the lead role in data collection – ensuring quality control and the preparation of monthly and quarterly M&E related activities, budget plans and performance progress reports.
· Coordinate the implement ion of midterm and final evaluations of the project to be conducted in the regions and woredas with project stakeholders.
· Organize experience sharing and meetings to update regional and woreda stakeholders on progress on the project. Document feedback from discussions for futher follow-up action.
. Work with the SNV MEAL advisor to ensure that SNV M&E principles and practices are followed and implemented.
2. Knowledge development and documentation
· Facilitate learning events to capture, document and disseminate lessons learned for internal and external purposes.
· Take part/lead documentation of project lessons/good practices, including through case stories, articles, practice briefs, photographs, and documentary videos.
· Archive copies of relevant supporting project documents in SNV’s Share point system and send to SNV USA, ensuring that files are complete, up-to-date, and easily accessible.
· Provide technical support on concept notes and proposal development for the project’s Innovation Fund on strengthening private sector actors and other stakeholder related to input and output marketing services.
· Closely work and support the various value chain advisors on monitoring and evaluation of activities on a regular basis.
1.1 Develop project monitoring plan (PMP) of the projects in line with project PME and consulting with programme team and partners
1.2 Coordinate with Implementing Partners (IPs) for collecting data against agreed indicators
1.3 Engage with IPs to collect and manage essential data of their respective projects
1.4 Ensure quality of data collected by partners
1.5 Provide feedback to partners and programme teams on projects’ performance based on monitoring data findings
1.6 Assist Manager (PME) in building capacity of IPs on Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation (PME)
2.1 Assist Manager (PME) in designing, coordinating and conducting project evaluations (mid-term and end-line)
2.2 Assist Manager (PME) in designing and conducting Post Implementation Monitoring Survey (PIMS)
2.3 Assist Manager (PME) in conducting Programme Data Review
2.4 Support partners in designing and disseminating research studies by providing relevant input
3. Reporting and Documentation
3.1 Assist Manager (PME) in developing quarterly, six-month and annual reports
3.2 Develop and share field visit reports with relevant SNV PROGRAM staff
3.3 Upload key reports to The Source (intranet)
4.1 Assist Manager (PME) during multi-year plan and budget process to develop a good quality Management program Budget (MPB) for the country programme (CP)
4.2 Assist Manager (PME) in reviewing project plans during MPB process
4.3 Ensure quality of data/ statistics in project plans
4.4 Upload relevant MPB documents on The Source
5. Learning and Sharing
5.1 Share learning from M&E process with the wider team
5.2 Support partners in improving learning and sharing mechanisms in their projects
5.3 Promote culture of two SNV y learning in the organisation
6. Contribution to Effectiveness of the Programme and SNV PROGRAM
6.1 Work collaboratively with different programmes for strengthening integration and cross-learning in programmes
6.2 Proactively volunteer for various team activities
6.3 Show an eagerness to take on any other tasks assigned by the line manager
Contract Type: Local
Working at SNV: SNV offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. We offer a challenging work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a fulfilling and diverse working environment.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCE:
1. Master’s degree (or equivalent) in Economics, Agricultural Economics, Agri business, Development Studies or other related fields
2. Minimum of eight years of experience as a monitoring, evaluation, and learning (MEL) Specialist, or similar position, on donor-funded projects, NGOs and private professional firms
3. Proven analytical and technical skills in monitoring, evaluation, and learning and experience with both qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis, preferably on USAID-funded projects
4. Demonstrated experiences with MEL policy, procedural and reporting requirements, analysing project progress, communicating findings, and applying MEL results and learning to work planning
5. Experience in working with partners
6. Ability to work with multidisciplinary teams, including to guide data collection processes and to ensure data quality control
7. Experience in documentation and knowledge development, including writing case studies and learning briefs
8. Proficient computer skills and experience in using Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access)
9. Knowledge and experience working on agriculture projects and value chain development preferred
10. Excellent oral and written communication skills.
11. Fluent in English (official working language of SNV)
· Monitoring and evaluation techniques and processes
· Data collection and management
· Analytical and research skills
· Good command over report writing in English
· Good interpersonal skills
· Excellent computer knowledge with command on MS Excel among other packages of MS Office.
· Time management and ability to priorities multiple tasks
· Self-motivated person able to work without close supervision
· Able to work effectively in a diverse team environment
· Travelling to far flung areas independently for M&E
· Able to effectively promote SNV’s mission values, and objectives
How to Apply
If you believe that your credentials meet the outlined profile, we invite you to apply by uploading your CV and letter of motivation before 18 october 2019.